5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locked out

usedup

Reaction score
I found out the doors will lock with the fob inside if you remote start with phone. And when said phone is also inside the vehicle it's time to remember where that second fob is hidden. At least I didn't have to call Sirius to get me unlocked. Maybe this is old news but I learned something today.

Royalist_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve locked myself out of my house before but never my car or truck. Fingers crossed, Haha. Hey, we’re all human, it happens.

Glenn54

Reaction score
I did something very similar with my Ram. Several people told me it was impossible. Regardless, I had to pay $35 or so to get a locksmith to come unlock it. Since then, I have accidentally left the keys in the truck and tried to lock it. The truck would beep 3 times to let me know the keys were in it.

KCViper

Reaction score
First thing I did when I picked up my truck was to put the fob inside and try and lock the truck (which it would not do). Never thought about trying to lock with the phone!

SmittysTrk

Reaction score
Imagine what it will cost if while on road trip you loose your fob. Almost happened to me. I'm ordering a 3rd fob to have with the battery taken out and put away safe.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, how's this one? My wife had a 2015 Charger Scat Pack. We were getting ready to go on a trip, so my son backed the car out of the garage. My wife carries a keyfob in her purse and left it on the front seat. My son left the keyfob on the center console so I can grab it when we were leaving, and he locked the doors from the inside to keep the car cool (AC was on) as he ran back into the house to get something. He closed the door and they locked! We were locked out.

I called Uconnect to have them unlock the car and they said I never set up the feature, My phone couldn't do it, because I never set that up. We waited an hour for AAA to come open the car for me!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Imagine what it will cost if while on road trip you loose your fob. Almost happened to me. I'm ordering a 3rd fob to have with the battery taken out and put away safe.
What is the purpose of removing the battery?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is the purpose of removing the battery?
You're not supposed to be able to lock the doors with the fob inside, so remove the battery from the fob, keep it in the truck, and you have a secondary fob should you need it.

Now, logic states that if you lose your fob, gaining access to the truck to get the other fob is still an issue. But AAA or a locksmith can get you in, then you could put the battery in the secondary fob and be on your way. Or, you can do like people used to do and hide the secondary fob on the underside of the vehicle and access it yourself, should you need it. Not sure where you can put something on the outside that wouldn't be found while in service, etc, but hey, it's an idea.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The keyless sham got me in my Jeep one day. I pulled up to the house to get something. I was just running in for a minute so left the jeep running. I thought dropping my briefcase in the house while there was a good idea so I didn't leave it unattended in the jeep (a vehicle you can break into with a pocket knife does not lend to security). So tossed my stuff in the house, gathered my other items and went back out to the jeep and drove off. Got to my destination, ran my errand and went to start back up. Damn. Key fob is in my briefcase. Just glad I did not lock the door so I could at least sit inside while I waited on the wife to rescue me.

Damn jeep just gives a short warning then stops and you can drive as normal. Does the Ram do the same?

I miss my indestructible, waterproof, compact metal key.

SpookyWatcher

Reaction score
I use one of those realtor house lock boxes that they hang on the door.

I hang it underneath the truck in a spot that can't readily be seen and lock a spare FOB in it.

Just make sure that you hang it far enough from the cab that there is no way for the truck to sense it. Just test your spot before fully utilizing it.

Works fantastic and is handy if gong surfing etc or if you lose / forget a FOB. Hope it helps!

SpookyWatcher

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I miss my indestructible, waterproof, compact metal key.
I use one of those realtor house lock boxes that they hang on the door. I hang it underneath the truck in a spot that can't readily be seen and lock a spare FOB in it. Just make sure that you hang it far enough from the cab that there is no way for the truck to sense it. Just test your spot before fully utilizing it. Works fantastic and is handy if gong surfing etc or if you lose / forget a FOB. Hope it helps!

You could combine these two suggestions: pull the ol' fashioned key out of your existing FOB, have a locksmith/hardware store cut a regular key to match, and then put that regular key in a magnetic lock box somewhere under the truck. It won't start the truck, but it'll unlock the driver's door for you.

Users who are viewing this thread