5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lockable Gas Cap?

Curious_Ram

Reaction score
Is there a lockable gas cap for 2021 Ram 1500 which comes with cap less?

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
Anyone who really wants gas that bad will just drill a hole in the bottom of the tank instead of even checking if a vehicle has a locked cap/door.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
lock the truck, the fuel door wont open
My fuel door opens with the truck locked. Very poor design as anyone can put debris/sugar into the gas tank. Will buy the locking cap from Geno's garage. Not worried about losing the key as I've had a locking cap on my trucks for over 16 years now without a problem. Just put the key in the glove box after each use.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My fuel door opens with the truck locked. Very poor design as anyone can put debris/sugar into the gas tank. Will buy the locking cap from Geno's garage. Not worried about losing the key as I've had a locking cap on my trucks for over 16 years now without a problem. Just put the key in the glove box after each use.
It's amazing that something that's included on so many other vehicles of all trim levels isn't on these trucks that don't have a gas cap. My friend's base model Focus's gas door locks when her doors are locked.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Don't **** people off and they have no reason to put anything in your tank.

Ramisgood

Reaction score
We live in a society where numerous people do not respect other's property. Vehicles getting keyed, paint "dressed" up with a file, tires flattened, and polluted additives put in gas tanks , not to mention what is stolen; all unsolicited or provoked. Why can't Ram protect our vehicles?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
We live in a society where numerous people do not respect other's property. Vehicles getting keyed, paint "dressed" up with a file, tires flattened, and polluted additives put in gas tanks , not to mention what is stolen; all unsolicited or provoked. Why can't Ram protect our vehicles?
That seems like isolated things happening in very few areas. I've been on this forum since summer of 2020 before I bought my BTS, and can honestly say, in all that time, I have never heard of anyone posting about anything being dumped maliciously, provoked or not, into their fuel tanks. And don't think I've seen anyone get slashed tires. For Ram to address a very small percentage of owners, for an issue that would be an insurance claim, isn't really a priority.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My fuel door doesn't lock even when the rest of the truck is locked. Maybe they changed that on newer years?

However, these capless systems aren't that easy to steal from or mess up. They have a duel door system in the neck that unless they have a special long tool, really hard to vandalize and nearly impossible to steal from with a regular hose. Most people who are going to try and steal your fuel will simply drill a small hole in the tank and get it from there. Your best bet of preventing people from messing with your fuel isn't a locking cap, but parking in an open area with plenty of lighting at night.

Even pouring in fuel with a capless system on the side of the road, you need that funnel that comes with the spare tire kit (located at the lower side of the front passenger door) to do it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That seems like isolated things happening in very few areas. I've been on this forum since summer of 2020 before I bought my BTS, and can honestly say, in all that time, I have never heard of anyone posting about anything being dumped maliciously, provoked or not, into their fuel tanks. And don't think I've seen anyone get slashed tires. For Ram to address a very small percentage of owners, for an issue that would be an insurance claim, isn't really a priority.
Stuff like this happened all the time when I used to live in an apartment building.

Now that I don't live in an apartment and might only park at 1 for a job (during the day) I don't need to worry about this stuff.

Was very common for people to try to get gas out, and or just put water in. People are jerks and sometimes people do things just because they can.

I never thought to check, I always assumed my gas cover locks when the truck is locked? Does it really not?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My fuel door doesn't lock even when the rest of the truck is locked. Maybe they changed that on newer years?

However, these capless systems aren't that easy to steal from or mess up. They have a duel door system in the neck that unless they have a special long tool, really hard to vandalize and nearly impossible to steal from with a regular hose. Most people who are going to try and steal your fuel will simply drill a small hole in the tank and get it from there. Your best bet of preventing people from messing with your fuel isn't a locking cap, but parking in an open area with plenty of lighting at night.

Even pouring in fuel with a capless system on the side of the road, you need that funnel that comes with the spare tire kit (located at the lower side of the front passenger door) to do it.
Nope, just checked and my 22 Limited doesn't lock the door.
Really **** poor design, I thought that was standard on every truck.
Even cars\trucks that have fuel caps the doors would lock. Even my 93 oldsmobile had a locking fuel tank door.

Also those funnels come with every car\truck without a cap so people can use regular gas cans to fill their tank, they are dirt cheap and are definitely not an anti-thief device.

I'm generally not in areas that often especially at night where I need to worry so I don't think I would bother but if I was I would probably replace the door with an after market door

Dewey

Reaction score
Yep. Been driving for over 35 years and never had one single locking gas cap or gas door nor have I ever had a single problem. A locking gas cap has never even been a thought. Suppose it you live in sketchy areas that may be a reality. Thankful I don’t have to worry about stuff like that.

Remember the days when we had to flip our rear license plate down to fill up? Drive a vehicle like that now and idiots these days wouldn’t even know where your gas goes.😆

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Nope, just checked and my 22 Limited doesn't lock the door.
Really **** poor design, I thought that was standard on every truck.
Even cars\trucks that have fuel caps the doors would lock. Even my 93 oldsmobile had a locking fuel tank door.

Also those funnels come with every car\truck without a cap so people can use regular gas cans to fill their tank, they are dirt cheap and are definitely not an anti-thief device.

I'm generally not in areas that often especially at night where I need to worry so I don't think I would bother but if I was I would probably replace the door with an after market door

Gotcha, though I didn't mean the funnel is an anti-theft device, only that you need it to pour in fuel due to the double door system in the neck. Your regular short funnel or the fuel can nozzle wouldn't work.

With these capless systems, you still cannot steal fuel from the neck with just a regular hose like you can with traditional capped systems.

Yeah, you think RAM would lock your freaking gas door like 99% of other vehicles on the road. Our new Toyota and our old Lexus and Crossfire all have that feature. It wasn't until someone on this forum mentioned it didn't lock did I go out and confirm it. I just assume it was a common feature.

Dewey

Reaction score
Gotcha, though I didn't mean the funnel is an anti-theft device, only that you need it to pour in fuel due to the double door system in the neck. Your regular short funnel or the fuel can nozzle wouldn't work.

With these capless systems, you still cannot steal fuel from the neck with just a regular hose like you can with traditional capped systems.

Yeah, you think RAM would lock your freaking gas door like 99% of other vehicles on the road. Our new Toyota and our old Lexus and Crossfire all have that feature. It wasn't until someone on this forum mentioned it didn't lock did I go out and confirm it. I just assume it was a common feature.
That’s a real nice option to have until your running on fumes and the gas door lock malfunctions and fails to unlock.😲

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That’s a real nice option to have until your running on fumes and the gas door lock malfunctions and fails to unlock.😲

Funny you say that, my Crossfire has this stupid vacuum system for locking the gas door (old Mercedes) and it failed, it no longer locks the gas door. Not sure if the previous owner adjusted the system to stay unlocked or it fails unlocked.

But the systems on more modern vehicles, assuming you still have battery power, you should be able to unlock most gas doors. I can't see why running out of fuel would prevent you from unlocking your gas door. Heck, I think the ones on our Toyota & Lexus aren't even electronic actuators, but based on a cable system.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Funny you say that, my Crossfire has this stupid vacuum system for locking the gas door (old Mercedes) and it failed, it no longer locks the gas door. Not sure if the previous owner adjusted the system to stay unlocked or it fails unlocked.

But the systems on more modern vehicles, assuming you still have battery power, you should be able to unlock most gas doors. I can't see why running out of fuel would prevent you from unlocking your gas door. Heck, I think the ones on our Toyota & Lexus aren't even electronic actuators, but based on a cable system.
I don't see why they can't do it like the ramboxes.

The button on the Rambox is a digital button that requires power to operate but the key is a physical lock and can be used without power.

Even the MFT on these things are digital locks. Without power you can't even open your tailgate.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don't see why they can't do it like the ramboxes.

The button on the Rambox is a digital button that requires power to operate but the key is a physical lock and can be used without power.

Even the MFT on these things are digital locks. Without power you can't even open your tailgate.

I can only imagine that some sort of technical thing came up around the gas door and they decided it was too much money to make it lockable.

Absolutely, if you have electrical power, you should be able to unlock anything in your vehicle. My old E46, I remember the battery was out of juice. However the battery was also in the trunk and I couldn't unlock the trunk without power. Luckily there was a forward charge port in the engine bay, I was able to hook it up to another car battery and I had the power to press the open trunk button.

Dewey

Reaction score
Lockable gas door? Heck they can’t even provide a $5 under hood light on a $65000 truck anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread