5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading ramps

jfsturtz

Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking to get some ramps to load snowblower and John Deere riding mower in the back to take in for servicing. I'm wondering if others have done this, and what brand of ramps have worked. Looking on Amazon, I see a lot of different choices, most of which get decent reviews (but all of which get at least a few terrible reviews). I just want to be sure to get something that will hold up.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with these?

Thanks!

/John

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Be careful how you use those. The tailgate is only held up by a couple little cables, you know. Not like older trucks with the steel scissor links. Maybe best to take the tailgate off if you're going to do that. Maybe you already knew that but didn't mention it, so I did just in case.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Be careful how you use those. The tailgate is only held up by a couple little cables, you know. Not like older trucks with the steel scissor links. Maybe best to take the tailgate off if you're going to do that. Maybe you already knew that but didn't mention it, so I did just in case.
Those steel braided cables are every bit as strong as the older flat links.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm looking to get some ramps to load snowblower and John Deere riding mower in the back to take in for servicing. I'm wondering if others have done this, and what brand of ramps have worked. Looking on Amazon, I see a lot of different choices, most of which get decent reviews (but all of which get at least a few terrible reviews). I just want to be sure to get something that will hold up.

Anyone have experience (good or bad) with these?

Thanks!

/John
I carry a set of long aluminum folding ramps and a portable chock when I’m hauling our motorcycle or scooter in the bed. I use one for the bike and one for me when I’m walking them up, but it’s not easy…even if I lower the air suspension. Those bikes weigh <300 lb.

With my 700-lb garden tractor, I pull a trailer.

My only advice on ramps is to (1) buy stronger ramps than you think you’ll need and (2) buy the longest ramps that you can safely store.

jfsturtz

Reaction score
The ramps I've looked at are rated at 750 lbs. With the weight distributed across two of them, that should be good for about 1500 lbs. According to the specs, my snowblower is about 300 lbs, and the lawn tractor around 400 lbs (plus another 160 lbs, if I'm sitting on it). So I think that would be OK.

Even so, I haven't found a single brand of ramp that didn't have at least a couple reviews saying the ramp bent or broke while being used.

It didn't even occur to me to worry about whether the tailgate would be strong enough to hold it. Yikes.

Hawkshot99

Reaction score
With a lawn mower, I would make sure I got arched ramps. Depending on the height of the truck, length of ramps, and slope of the ground flat ramps can cause the deck to get hung up on the edge of the tailgate if the ramps are to steep.

I load my motorcycle in the bed of my truck for long trips to skip towing a trailer long distances, but otherwise I always use my trailer for large things that require ramps as it's much easier to load and secure.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The ramps I've looked at are rated at 750 lbs. With the weight distributed across two of them, that should be good for about 1500 lbs. According to the specs, my snowblower is about 300 lbs, and the lawn tractor around 400 lbs (plus another 160 lbs, if I'm sitting on it). So I think that would be OK.

Even so, I haven't found a single brand of ramp that didn't have at least a couple reviews saying the ramp bent or broke while being used.

It didn't even occur to me to worry about whether the tailgate would be strong enough to hold it. Yikes.
I thibk most negative reviews on them bending were probably due to user error

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Some previous posts:

2019Raven

Reaction score
On my 2015 2500 I would load my Polaris 500 sportsman 4wheeler into the bed of the truck using Yak ramps with no issue at all. I have also loaded my John Deere D110 also with no issue.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Personally I would stay away from the slamazon ones even if they are "name brand" as a lot of that stuff is even showing up as a knockoff. Look at Rocky Mountain ATV, Chaparral, or one of the other motorcycle/atv parts houses.

sylent_snyper

Reaction score
I've always had to load street and track bikes up by myself so I went with an arched tri-fold ramp. It made it way easier to have a ramp that was the width of the tailgate for loading this stuff and the bikes would bottom out with a straight ramp. Now that I don't have the bikes, I switched to a straight tri-fold for loading a snowblower and the dirt bike has the clearance needed for a straight ramp. I've always found split ramps to be a pain to deal with for solo loading. I picked the ramps up from tractor supply locally.

Users who are viewing this thread