5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Loading Harley Trike

Calypso

Reaction score
We would like to load our Harley trike in the bed of our 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie. Our plan is to use "Big Boy Aluminum 3-piece Folding Trike Ramp" from Discount Ramps. What we don't know is whether the tailgate will support the weight. We have seen many people load 4-wheelers but the single front wheel will have a more concentrated load in the center of the tailgate. We don't want to risk damage to the tailgate. The dealer would not say one way or the other. Any advice would be appreciated.

jkm312

Reaction score
It is an aluminum tailgate. Somewhere I thought I saw a 600lb load limit. Some one correct me if I am off the mark. At some point you will have the entire mass of the trike on the ramp before you transfer some of it into the bed as you drive up. Are your rear wheels going to make it into the bed and off the tailgate. My Limited is right at 900lbs. Check your sill plate and see what your load limit is. Add up the weight of the trike and the rest of what is in the truck including you and passengers. I would not do it. You are better off with it in a trailer.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Additional information

Reverse

Reaction score
My bike is pretty heavy. I bought a ramp support that mounts in the hitch receiver and presents just behind the tailgate. Similar in construction to the extenders you see that allow for transporting a kayak etc. in the bed. Not sure of its weight limit, but even if it bends the truck is undamaged.

Calypso

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The reason we want to put the trike in the truck is so we can tow it behind our motorhome. The ramp support is a good idea. We will look into that. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/