5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lisle 61580 93mm 15-Flute End Cap Wrench Set WRONG ONE for the 5.7L Hemi?

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
So I ordered this for the next oil change and it is WAY too big for the oil filter that I purchased (Fram TG10060). So which one is wrong? The oil filter or the filter wrench?

Any ideas???
Thanks!

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
FYI this post has links to additional posts

According to Amazon this is the correct filter for the hemi.

I believe previous generation Rams used a wider body filter. My experience was not good with the cup style oil filter wrench as I was unable to attach a ratchet to the oil filter wrench with the limited space allowed.

OEM oil filter (MO 339) measures 75mm.
I found this style worked for me and I will be trying additional types on my next change.
Ram oil filter 2.jpg
This did not work for me as I could not attach the ratchet,
Ram oil filter 1.jpg

Last edited:

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
FYI this post has links to additional posts

According to Amazon this is the correct filter for the hemi.

I believe previous generation Rams used a wider body filter. My experience was not good with the cup style filter wrench as I was unable to attach a ratchet to the filter wrench with the limited space allowed.

Thanks but I haven't been able to find anything about the actual cap wrenches ANYWHERE, let alone on here. It would appear though that I may have found one on Amazon, which is 14 flute, 76mm. But Amazon says it will take a month to get to me? WTF? And it's them selling and shipping it. Weird.

I'll try this one by hand and see how it goes but I really want to buy the cap style wrench to be able to place the filter on a bit more firmly. Trying to get good hand torque on that thing, in the position that it is, isn't easy. And as someone with a kung fu grip, from years of BJJ and judo, I can tell you, it isn't easy.

Jako

Reaction score
Thanks but I haven't been able to find anything about the actual cap wrenches ANYWHERE, let alone on here. It would appear though that I may have found one on Amazon, which is 14 flute, 76mm. But Amazon says it will take a month to get to me? WTF? And it's them selling and shipping it. Weird.

I'll try this one by hand and see how it goes but I really want to buy the cap style wrench to be able to place the filter on a bit more firmly. Trying to get good hand torque on that thing, in the position that it is, isn't easy. And as someone with a kung fu grip, from years of BJJ and judo, I can tell you, it isn't easy.
You can grab the filter from the front of the vehicle as well as from the back. I have always been taught that a 3/4 turn after contact. Although I read somewhere that it should be 1 turn - don't know where.
Years ago I used a filter wrench to put the filter back and I created a leak in the filter. Many years ago and don't recall all the circumstances or vehicle but I do remember my buddy the mechanic had a good chuckle.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I only ever use a filter wrench to take it off. New filter goes on by hand. Contact + 3/4 to 1 full turn shouldn't require a wrench. I use this style to remove everything big, little, and in between:
61SiQqIO63L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Jako

Reaction score
I only ever use a filter wrench to take it off. New filter goes on by hand. Contact + 3/4 to 1 full turn shouldn't require a wrench. I use this style to remove everything big, little, and in between:
61SiQqIO63L._AC_SX679_.jpg

Walmart has a similar filter wrench for I think $5.95. It was in stock despite what the Walmart internet site stated.

Hemogoblin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I never in the past put them on tight (was always hand tight, nothing crazy and some of these vehicles were 500 HP Trans Ams - LOL 500 HP seems like nothing these days, doesn't it?) but the damn filter, when I did the first oil change, was on so incredibly tight, it makes me wonder, why? I have read stories about people having them leak after a few thousand miles, because they appear to have backed off, which is the ONLY reason I would consider trying to get it on tighter than hand tight. And no, I'm not talking about torquing it on: just slighter tighter than hand tight.

I ordered the Lisle 76mm 14 flute last night so if anyone is interested, when it arrives on Friday, I'll let you know if and how it fits the filter. That said, I went to Dodge yesterday to grab a new Mopar and they were closed. The whole Corona thing. So I grabbed a Fram TG from Walmart. We'll see how the filter wrench fits over the grippy stuff on the Frams.

Users who are viewing this thread