5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Linkswell or Phoenix or Joying Aftermarket Radios

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with adding an aftermarket radio to their 5th gen?
I was really hoping to grab a rotatable Joying head unit but I can find the harnesses or dash kit for our 5th gen. Everywhere I look I see only 4th gen RAM accessories.
I am really leaning toward Linkswell now, even though the screen doesn't rotate.
Recommendations?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Between the 12” and 8.4 inch I can’t see a reason to go aftermarket on our trucks. Gone are the days of 2000 where stock headunits sucked and you needed to go aftermarket for better sound and features. It doesn’t help nowadays that everything is integrated into the headunit as well good luck but I think this is one of those mods you just forget about. Heated seats, climate controls, basically everything is integrated. Going to be hard for aftermarket even 3rd party modules to figure out the solution to get that to work.

Edit: what’s the benefit of a rotating headunit screen ?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with adding an aftermarket radio to their 5th gen?
I was really hoping to grab a rotatable Joying head unit but I can find the harnesses or dash kit for our 5th gen. Everywhere I look I see only 4th gen RAM accessories.
I am really leaning toward Linkswell now, even though the screen doesn't rotate.
Recommendations?
Those Linkswell hu’s are pretty awesome. I am buying one for my Land Cruiser.

Corneeeeelius

Reaction score
Between the 12” and 8.4 inch I can’t see a reason to go aftermarket on our trucks. Gone are the days of 2000 where stock headunits sucked and you needed to go aftermarket for better sound and features. It doesn’t help nowadays that everything is integrated into the headunit as well good luck but I think this is one of those mods you just forget about. Heated seats, climate controls, basically everything is integrated. Going to be hard for aftermarket even 3rd party modules to figure out the solution to get that to work.

Edit: what’s the benefit of a rotating headunit screen ?
One benefit is that the 12" screen upgrade to factory is at least $4,500, but an aftermarket radio is between $600 and $1,200 for parts only. Also, my 5" screen sucks.
Another benefit of a rotating screen is that I can have a wide screen instead of a tall screen, and I can alternate depending on my preference. Plus wide screen is better for movies on long trips with my kids.

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
idata might have a dashkit or might be coming out with one and ipad for the kids. I'm not a fan of those aftermarket radios. I've read plenty of people having issues with them. Good luck with the upgrade, look forward to seeing the results.

Users who are viewing this thread