5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LINEX ULTRA on chrome grilles

DSPS

Reaction score
Considering getting my chrome Longhorn grille colormatched Delmonico Red using Linex Ultra since i'm having such a difficult time getting a shop to confidently colormatched paint the chrome grille. Just wondering whether Linex Ultra is a better option. The cost I'm quoted is similar to getting grille painted. Not sure how well the ultra would hold up or whether the difference between the ultra painted grille and painted hood would be glaring obvious.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Linex will hold up better to rock chips. It just comes down to whether you can live with it being a bit textured, versus it having a glossy finish like the rest of the paint.

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Considering getting my chrome Longhorn grille colormatched Delmonico Red using Linex Ultra since i'm having such a difficult time getting a shop to confidently colormatched paint the chrome grille. Just wondering whether Linex Ultra is a better option. The cost I'm quoted is similar to getting grille painted. Not sure how well the ultra would hold up or whether the difference between the ultra painted grille and painted hood would be glaring obvious.

Interested in what they quoted you for this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DSPS

Reaction score
Interested in what they quoted you for this...

Quoted $350 for color matched Line-ULTRA ( longhorn grill) if I brought the grill in....and $450 if they have to do disassembly and install

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don’t mind the texture I would go with line X I just hope the colormatch is on point or else it’s going to look out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wch_chip

Reaction score
I will be doing this to my bumpers. Once I get my truck. I'll report back for you guys if someone else didn't take the plunge before me.

Last edited:

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hehe, I wonder if the dent in my rear bumper will be less visible if I do that lol. Hell...I might even skip the lineX and use the can spray-on liner from home depot...$20? Lol

I feel like there’s a chance that decision comes with regret lol

shurik74

Reaction score
I was debating too, body color match bumpers and grille on my Longhorn but decided to pass after visiting my friend's shop, who gave me a suggestion to leave it as is in chrome... he said "more practical, no paint chips or scratches... you might end up painting again after a few years". I took his advise, been working with him many years when I used to buy salvage cars from auction which had to paint.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have the chrome sandblasted then boom.. paint them than have paint protection film applied afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wsmith

Reaction score
Line -x does have non textured as well. Had it sprayed on my wheel wells. I'm not sure if it will look as good as paint however. It is basically smooth.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Line -x does have non textured as well. Had it sprayed on my wheel wells. I'm not sure if it will look as good as paint however. It is basically smooth.
Any pictures of this? I thought about doing something to my wheel wells. Any advantages to doing it with line-x?

Wsmith

Reaction score
Any pictures of this? I thought about doing something to my wheel wells. Any advantages to doing it with line-x?
Line -x is just a good product. it will help with rust and rock chips. The smooth is used there to make mud removal easier. I am still thinking of installing wheel liners to keep debris from getting behind the partial well covers. Why they just didn't fully line all of them is beyond me. I would post a picture, but I'm technically challenged. The partial well covers are removed and they spray the entire well them re-install the partials.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I un
Line -x is just a good product. it will help with rust and rock chips. The smooth is used there to make mud removal easier. I am still thinking of installing wheel liners to keep debris from getting behind the partial well covers. Why they just didn't fully line all of them is beyond me. I would post a picture, but I'm technically challenged. The partial well covers are removed and they spray the entire well them re-install the partials.
i understand now. I thought you had your liners line-x’d

Users who are viewing this thread