5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Line-X or just a bed mat?

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Looks like it'll be about $600 to Line-X the bed of my 6'4" box. But I don't do much serious hauling as I'm more of a weekend project guy (trips to the dump, mulch, the occassional overpriced playground set from Costco, etc.). I see Weathertech makes mats for the floor and the tailgate that are significantly cheaper. Is it worth spending the extra money on Line-X or just go with the mats?

upstech76

Reaction score
I just had my 5'7" bed sprayed with LineX for $650. It cost $500 for the regular LineX and an additional $150 for the Premium. The premium is not supposed to fade and retains its shinny look longer. There was another shop that used Rhino Liner that cost $380 but I felt the extra cost of LineX was worth it. Definitely the way to go if your actually going to use the bed of your truck.

cra1g

Reaction score
IMO, mats (like drop-in liners) will always get dirt under them, which they'll then grind into the paint.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm a mat or carpet mat guy. Things don't slide around with them. The dirtiest thing that ever goes in the bed is a yard of mulch, I take the mat out before I go get it. When done, I wash it out and put the mat back in.

I don't care about scratches or wear back there. I've never been "dinged" by the salesman at trade time because of a scratched up bed. If I kept my vehicles til their death, maybe I'd get it coated 5 or so years in to cover the scratches I already made.

hotsht333

Reaction score
i went with the bed rug, covers the floor and the sides of the box. i like the way it levels the bumps out so it doesnt kill the knees when in the bed. $399 most anywhere you look but got mine on amazon for $360

Attachments

• 20190330_160438.jpg
    20190330_160438.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 126

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the factory spray in liner and still put the Bedrug XLT in mine. It makes it softer on the knees, things don’t slide, cargo doesn’t get scratched up, and the carpeted tailgate makes a perfect soft spot to change diapers on.

RichT

Reaction score
bedrug saves around 60lbs over a spray in if that is a factor

rrbhokies

Reaction score
Few questions about the Bedrug. 1) Really? It doesn't absorb water? So it will dry out as quickly as a regular liner? 2) The bed and tailgate are connected together, so how does water drain out of the truck after a heavy storm? and 3) With the bedrug mat only, I hear people saying they remove the mat when loading lumber or getting mulch. Why? I don't want something that I would feel that I need to ever remove it.

Ranger

Reaction score
Spray in looks nice and protects the metal. If you're comfortable with the price, absolutely do it.

Then, consider a rubber bed floor mat. The spray liner protects the surface, but won't do anything to protect from denting the floor. That's where the $100 rubber mat (DeeZee) comes in. You wanna drop a load of bricks, or throw a milk crate full of tow chain in the back, or whatever? The rubber mat protects from denting the floor. Without it, that spray liner will disappoint.

If all you haul is mulch and cardboard boxes, then skip the rubber. Anything with weight, edges, or corners and the $100 mat is a no brainier.

Not to sound like a salesman or anything, but if you get the rubber mat and hate it, take it out and throw it on the garage floor. I keep my mats from previous trucks to put on the floor. Great at catching oil and grease, awesome at insulating the cold concrete in January when you're crawling underneath, and even work as a fatigue mat in front of my work bench

Summary: get a spray in and a rubber mat and your bed will be protected from anything you put back there

hotsht333

Reaction score
Few questions about the Bedrug. 1) Really? It doesn't absorb water? So it will dry out as quickly as a regular liner? 2) The bed and tailgate are connected together, so how does water drain out of the truck after a heavy storm? and 3) With the bedrug mat only, I hear people saying they remove the mat when loading lumber or getting mulch. Why? I don't want something that I would feel that I need to ever remove it.
sorry cant really say if it absorbs water or not , mines covered with a fiberglass tonneau cover and hasn't really gotten wet. but it has a foam type backing that i believe will repell water. i've hauled lumber and fishing gear that's about it but it appears to be very durable. any water that would get in would drain out alone the sides where the tailgate meets the side of the box. hope this helps you. i love mine and very happy i got it

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the rug mat and remove it when I get mulch because I get black dyed mulch. That stuff stains everything. It's just easier to remove the mat and clean paint rather than trying to clean the mat itself.

tobyw

Reaction score
Great topic, I'm also considering bed protection options since mine came bare... I had not put much, if any, thought into the weight aspect but someone mentioned the spray-in liner is like 60 pounds heavier than a mat or carpet?! That is actually pretty significant! I've been considering one of the rug kits but really would like some feedback from those that have these in open-bed applications, not just under a bed cover. My truck lives outside and I have a cross-bed toolbox with the rest of the bed wide open, and we get a pretty healthy dose of all 4 seasons around here.

CharlieP

Reaction score
LineX without a doubt and go with the premium. had the Premium in my Chevy and after 11years it still looked new. it was called LineX ultra back then. had my 19 Laramie sprayed when it was 2 days old

cotonymopar

Reaction score
I myself like the sprayed in bedliners, water can get under other types...

make sure that the company you go with is a reputable one.

gllh

Reaction score
I debated this for a couple months and finally went with the Line X Premium. I'm glad I did, and I think you will be happy spending a little extra for the Line X as well. Just find a good company as the previous post mentioned.

downsjh

Reaction score
My truck is still waiting for a bed liner, I can't decide between the options. I'm leaning towards the plastic drop-in liner ($175), mainly for cost but good for protection from dents. In my case (Tucson, AZ), I don't have to work about rust due to scratches underneath.
I was also contemplating DIY Hercules roll-on liner, with a rubber mat. ($180) However, this would require a tonneau cover ($175) (which I want/need anyways) to protect it from the sun.

Does anybody have any experience with the above? Lessons Learned?

RichT

Reaction score
Yes, the spray in is actually more like 80-90 pounds (the more the better right?) and the Bedrug shipped was something like 15-20 pounds, so really good savings there.

I have the impact, so no carpet on the bed or tailgate. Hard to get a pic with the gate open right now, but there is a mesh connecting the bed to tailgate section. I can toss anything in there, its not going to damage the bed. Not sure about cleaning...not into that. :cool: I think I broomed some stuff out once. :rolleyes:

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the spray in is actually more like 80-90 pounds (the more the better right?) and the Bedrug shipped was something like 15-20 pounds, so really good savings there.

I have the impact, so no carpet on the bed or tailgate. Hard to get a pic with the gate open right now, but there is a mesh connecting the bed to tailgate section. I can toss anything in there, its not going to damage the bed. Not sure about cleaning...not into that. :cool: I think I broomed some stuff out once. :rolleyes:

View attachment 29207

View attachment 29208

Very Nice! I had the BedRug for 12 years with my last truck and have the spray in liner now. Both are nice but I would have never got a load of Mulch or Rock with my BedRug and I did get one slice in the BedRug when someone dropped a corner of a dresser into the foam cell. After removing my BedRug after 12 years the paint was perfect and it never retained much water. I don't like how the Spray in type get grey and dull but with the taller bed sides you don't see it unless you are extra tall or have the tailgate open.... Both are great products.

Also for cool factor check out the Mythbusters episode where they Rhino lined a cinder block wall and detonated a bomb next to it VS a non Rhino lined wall.... Stuff makes your truck bed very tough and impact resistant.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
If you're going to keep your truck for a while or even plan on selling it not looking like ****, do yourself a favor and spray line it. Your bed is the single place most likely to get scuffed and begin to rust, it makes the bed more durable (no lie, true stuff), and you'll never think twice about what you throw in there or even how gently you do it. My last truck had 10 years of landscaping work done in it and hauled hundreds of tons of road base and rock in the back, not one split in the liner.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a Dee Zee Heavy Duty mat on my 2015 F150 for 4 years, when I removed it to trade in my truck, the bed underneath looked brand freaking new. The sales guy thought I never put anything in my bed, which I can tell you it got used very hard.

I am a big believer in the heavy duty bed mats. They look great, protect the bed floor paint and they prevent whatever you put in your bed from moving around. I didn't even bother to remove and clean under the mat in the 4 years I owned it, and it still looked like new after I removed it. The one I had was designed to disperse water that gets under it.

My new RAM came with the spray in liner, very similar to Line-X, but even with that, I decided to also get a bed mat. Another Dee Zee mat. The reason is because the spray in liner is a little slippery, allows stuff to move around in the bed and it's a bit rough in texture and didn't like having to cover up delicate items to prevent scratching. The rubber mat secures items without tying them down so they don't move around and is soft so it doesn't damage or scratch up items in the bed, like furniture I have to move.

For about $85, you really can't beat a heavy duty bed mat. If my truck didn't already have a spray in liner, I wouldn't even bothered to get it, I would be happy with just the bed mat.

Users who are viewing this thread