5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited steering wheel installed on a Laramie

Scjon03

Reaction score
Yup I just did it and it looks great. My Laramie steering wheel leather on top had little wrinkles, wasn't bad all but you can feel it. So I had the opportunity to get a Limited steering wheel. So why not? Everything was pretty straight forward, had to swap my cruise control button panel from my Laramie to the Limited wheel because my Laramie does not have ACC. There are no videos on removing a 2019 Ram 1500 airbag so I used a Charger steering wheel swap video. Pretty much the same way the Ram is for removing the airbag. However I pulled to hard on removing the wheel steering. It pulled the airbag wires which are connected to the clock spring and damaged it. Cracked it but no big deal, still works and just pushed it back in. Everything works fine and gives my Ram a different look. Just like the feel and look on the Limited wheel.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but a broken clock spring should be replaced. I realize you just cracked the plastic. It may seem to be working fine right now but could cause problems later on. All the electricals on the steering wheel travel through that clock spring. Every time you turn the steering wheel, the spring moves in or out. The worse scenario would be your airbag doesn't inflate when you need it most or the airbag goes off in your face when you least expect it.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Yeah I will replace it when the part is available I tried and no luck. Yes the plastic is just cracked but the wiring is fine.

GraniteRam

Reaction score
What was the cost also? I'm considering doing this after hearing numerous people having issues with the leather deteriorating.

Scjon03

Reaction score
What was the cost also? I'm considering doing this after hearing numerous people having issues with the leather deteriorating.

I got the steering wheel off eBay in good condition for 124 bucks. All the buttons on the wheel works and no issues. The heat gets warm and not overly hot like other people are describing. It gets to about same temperature my Laramie wheel gets. The leather on my Laramie wheel was fine and the wrinkles on top of the wheel wasn't really noticeable but again you can feel it. The Limited wheel of course do not need to worry about it. Overall I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0457.JPG
    IMG_0457.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 540
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    159.8 KB · Views: 530
  • IMG_0459.JPG
    IMG_0459.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 511

deanfx

Reaction score
I got the steering wheel off eBay in good condition for 124 bucks. All the buttons on the wheel works and no issues. The heat gets warm and not overly hot like other people are describing. It gets to about same temperature my Laramie wheel gets. The leather on my Laramie wheel was fine and the wrinkles on top of the wheel wasn't really noticeable but again you can feel it. The Limited wheel of course do not need to worry about it. Overall I'm happy with it.
Which sunscreen are you using? Nice wheel btw

Scjon03

Reaction score
Which sunscreen are you using? Nice wheel btw

It is Weathertech But it’s from my 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It a little bit smaller and doesn’t cover the windshield completely. Like maybe a half inch all the way around. Don’t feel like spending another 100 bucks or whatever for a new one. And it’s does the job fine.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That wheel looks real nice. Definitely a very good deal.

john94si

Reaction score
If the wood matched the laramie on the dash i would do the same. Is the wheel thicker in diameter

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I must be the only one who hates the wood on top of my limited wheel.... I wish the whole thing was leather. And a Minor complaint is it takes the wood part forever to warm up compared to the rest of the wheel. Yup... 1st world problems for sure.

Magna

Reaction score
Sorry to be a bearer of bad news but a broken clock spring should be replaced. I realize you just cracked the plastic. It may seem to be working fine right now but could cause problems later on. All the electricals on the steering wheel travel through that clock spring. Every time you turn the steering wheel, the spring moves in or out. The worse scenario would be your airbag doesn't inflate when you need it most or the airbag goes off in your face when you least expect it.
I loved the 17 limited steering wheel i had and now i have a loaded 19 sport that has the leather wheel and it feels real small. I have big hands and would like to also replace it with the thicker limited wheel

Bgg808

Reaction score
Thanks for the post here. Just bought 19 laramie and steering wheel has the bumpy thing going and I love the limited steering wheel. Did you get the same year to same year? I’m wondering if I can buy a 2022 limited wheel and throw it on there. Like the wood a bit more on the 22.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Thanks for the post here. Just bought 19 laramie and steering wheel has the bumpy thing going and I love the limited steering wheel. Did you get the same year to same year? I’m wondering if I can buy a 2022 limited wheel and throw it on there. Like the wood a bit more on the 22.
It should work fine. But be prepared to pay a lot for a '22 Limited steering wheel. I bought one a couple years ago off ebay for $165 and installed it in the Laramie I had at the time. If you can't find one on ebay, at least check salvage yards for one. And the Longhorn also has the wood/leather steering wheels, although in different colors.

Users who are viewing this thread