5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Steering Wheel Comfort

petersandler

Reaction score
Does anyone else find that the Limited Steering Wheel is uncomfortable? The shape of the wheel and leather stitching digs into your hand where you would want to rest your hands on a long drive. Has anyone had their wheel modified? It feels like the material underneath is flexible so perhaps it can be shaved down into a more comfortable shape? I've circled the areas in question in the picture below. Note the other picture shows how the wheel is much more rounded where you would rest your hand in my other car. I've reached out to a custom auto upholstery shop about their thoughts on a modification.

Attachments

• IMG_8353-markup.jpg
    IMG_8353-markup.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8354.jpg
    IMG_8354.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 111

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I use a Comma for long drives so it isn't an issue. Seriously though, I have noticed this but I have adjusted the way I hold the wheel when I need to.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
On a more helpful note, though, there are some aftermarket steering wheels that might work for you. Here's a link to a TRX-style wheel that has carbon-fiber around the lower spot that you reference (but still has stitching along the upper points).

petersandler

Reaction score
On a more helpful note, though, there are some aftermarket steering wheels that might work for you. Here's a link to a TRX-style wheel that has carbon-fiber around the lower spot that you reference (but still has stitching along the upper points).

Yeah that would solve the issue. It isn't so much the stitching as its how the seam forms at an angled point because of the shape below. A bit more than I would have expected, but the custom upholstery shop I inquired with quoted $1800 to modify the existing steering wheel.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Another (cheaper) option. Similar to the first one, but without the LEDs in the wheel.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you moisturize the leather at that seam and then work it with a bone Creaser/smoothing tool?

Tandy leather may be a helpful resource.

petersandler

Reaction score
Can you moisturize the leather at that seam and then work it with a bone Creaser/smoothing tool?

Tandy leather may be a helpful resource.

The issue is the shape of the wheel under the leather which causes the seem to form at an angle instead of being rounded. Seems to me the solution is to undo the stitching, file down the material underneath, recut the leather and restitch it. The aftermarket wheels above would work, but might not look too good with the 10th Anniversery Limited Edition interior.

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Does anyone else find that the Limited Steering Wheel is uncomfortable? The shape of the wheel and leather stitching digs into your hand where you would want to rest your hands on a long drive. Has anyone had their wheel modified? It feels like the material underneath is flexible so perhaps it can be shaved down into a more comfortable shape? I've circled the areas in question in the picture below. Note the other picture shows how the wheel is much more rounded where you would rest your hand in my other car. I've reached out to a custom auto upholstery shop about their thoughts on a modification.
I swapped my Laramie steering wheel for a limited wheel. The stitching is smoother than the limited. If you are interested in buying my Laramie wheel let me know. Ill give you a good price and can ship to you. Still has all the buttons / wiring / electronics in it

Users who are viewing this thread