5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited slip front axle

brian55

Reaction score
I have a 2023 big horn with the 3:92 rear gears and limited slip. This is the 1st 4wheel drive vehicle that I've owned and over the years I've read and or heard that if you had posi in the rear of a 4wheel drive you should also have it in the front axle or the truck wouldn't work right. Do the rams have posi front axles? Or did I hear it all wrong. I can't figure out if mine does by the window sticker.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2023 big horn with the 3:92 rear gears and limited slip. This is the 1st 4wheel drive vehicle that I've owned and over the years I've read and or heard that if you had posi in the rear of a 4wheel drive you should also have it in the front axle or the truck wouldn't work right. Do the rams have posi front axles? Or did I hear it all wrong. I can't figure out if mine does by the window sticker.
No. Not on the 1500.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure where you heard that's but it's just flat out wrong. I don't know of a single 4wd vehicle that has a limited slip front axle. If anything they have locking front axles, but that's only for extreme off-road conditions.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Almost all cases avoid limited slip on front axle, reason being that you need steering no matter what else is going on. With at least one wheel planted you have a bit of directional control, but with both fronts slipping gravity and inertia take over. Maybe would be useful on a dedicated rock crawler build.

Jmac509

Reaction score
As others have stated Ram never offered a limited slip or locking front differential. This isn't something I would add on a street vehicle.

When a limited slip locks the front axle you lose the ability to steer, it will try to drive the vehicle straight regardless where the wheels are turned. Also as Rick3478 stated with all 4 tires spinning there is nothing anchoring your vehicle and it is much easier to slide off of the road when you lose traction.

I believe in the 90s Ford offered vehicles that had limited slips in the front differentials.

I'm not sure what Jeep currently offers but I believe the older QuadraDrive 2 grand cherokees had front and rear E lockers. The front diff would automatically unlock once the steering wheel was turned.

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ram power wagon has locking front diff.
I don’t know ANY vehicle that has ever had limited slip front differential.

brian55

Reaction score
As others have stated Ram never offered a limited slip or locking front differential. This isn't something I would add on a street vehicle.

When a limited slip locks the front axle you lose the ability to steer, it will try to drive the vehicle straight regardless where the wheels are turned. Also as Rick3478 stated with all 4 tires spinning there is nothing anchoring your vehicle and it is much easier to slide off of the road when you lose traction.

I believe in the 90s Ford offered vehicles that had limited slips in the front differentials.

I'm not sure what Jeep currently offers but I believe the older QuadraDrive 2 grand cherokees had front and rear E lockers. The front diff would automatically unlock once the steering wheel was turned.
Thanks for the info like I said this is my first 4x4 and was just curious as to what I have heard over the years. My automobile history is hot rods and 2wd trucks and suv's.

lsupcar

Reaction score
F 150 Ford Tremors offered front torsen limited slip as an option. I believe the f150 Raptor did as well with the previous version. I wish Ram offered this for the Rebel.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
F 150 Ford Tremors offered front torsen limited slip as an option. I believe the f150 Raptor did as well with the previous version. I wish Ram offered this for the Rebel.
Yup, and Raptor still does. It's a Torsen.

stevieb92

Reaction score
I had a locking front (and rear) differential on my 2020 Jeep Rubicon and would have liked to have the option of a locking front differential on my Rebel GT. Mostly street driven, but during off-road adventures a locking front differential would be nice to have.

Users who are viewing this thread