5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Slip Differential

ifrankyr

Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a used 2019 ram 1500 a while back. It’s a 2wd and the build sheets says it has a Anti Slip rear differential. However during a light off road trip. A friend of mine noticed that only one wheel was spinning on a difficult spot. Next day I jack the truck up put into neutral spun the right tire and the left tire barely spun the opposite way. Does that mean I actually have a open differential and the build sheet is incorrect ?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Jacking the truck up will not tell you if you have it or not.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Limited-Slip is not a locker. It’s more useful on road than off road.

In very low traction situations it will act just like an open differential as it cannot overcome the slippage.

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Jacking the truck up will not tell you if you have it or not.

Actually it would……….Most limited slip diffs will spin the same direction when lifted off the ground. However, some require a certain torque threshold to be met before it will engage.

To the OP, depending on mileage, wear, service life, etc. your rear diff may be in need of service with friction modifiers to be added. My old 99 Durango 4x4 acted the same way and even clunked at full lock turns. Performed a diff service, added the STANKY *** modifiers that Mopar recommends and bam back to full functional LSD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Hey guys I bought a used 2019 ram 1500 a while back. It’s a 2wd and the build sheets says it has a Anti Slip rear differential. However during a light off road trip. A friend of mine noticed that only one wheel was spinning on a difficult spot. Next day I jack the truck up put into neutral spun the right tire and the left tire barely spun the opposite way. Does that mean I actually have a open differential and the build sheet is incorrect ?
this thread might or might not help

ifrankyr

Reaction score
Actually it would……….Most limited slip diffs will spin the same direction when lifted off the ground. However, some require a certain torque threshold to be met before it will engage.

To the OP, depending on mileage, wear, service life, etc. your rear diff may be in need of service with friction modifiers to be added. My old 99 Durango 4x4 acted the same way and even clunked at full lock turns. Performed a diff service, added the STANKY *** modifiers that Mopar recommends and bam back to full functional LSD.

Bought it with 21k miles,
Now at 30k miles 9 months later. Do you know if rebuilding the rear differential is covered under warranty or considered wear and tear ?

MattGalmish

Reaction score
Bought it with 21k miles,
Now at 30k miles 9 months later. Do you know if rebuilding the rear differential is covered under warranty or considered wear and tear ?

If you’re still under factory warranty you might be able to make an appointment to have them take a look at it for functionality, But usually that is considered a wear item unless you have a prepaid maintenance where fluids like that are replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread