5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited self-park system

ericd

Reaction score
I had some time to kill today and went over to play around with a limited. The salesman was equally as bored so he let me really check everything out. I took it for a test drive and it drove like a Cadillac. Coming from two Longhorns I figured it would be very similar but it seems to drive even nicer. All the other great aspects have been covered to death so I was gonna touch on the self park. I did the perpendicular park. Once I hit the button it immediately started searching. When it detected a spot it clearly stated the next steps. It seems it needs to be going in between 2 vehicles for the sensors to pick up a spot. It wouldn’t find it on the end of the row with only one vehicle. The wheel spins extremely fast and smooth. As I was backing up the auto brake kicked in which I wasn’t prepared for and it was startling. It had me shift once back into drive to straighten out and finished off perfectly. I was highly impressed with how precise it was. Having backed up rams into spots for many years now it seems like I would probably just do it myself most of the time because I can just swing it in a lot faster but it’s a very cool feature.

GM convert

Reaction score
I like it also. I had the auto brake kick in on me twice now, I thought I ran someone over. Definitely not subtle.

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I like that Ram included it, I know they kind of had to because Ford did....I like the idea of it...but just cannot ever imagine using it. Like you say, it is just so much easier for me to swing in myself, and the 360 cameras make it even easier. With that being said, my wife completely avoids parallel parking even in her tiny RDX, but I dont know of what ease this function would give her...and I firmly believe someone who relies on this system has probably hit 3-4 things on the way to the spot lol.

Really happy to hear that it works so well, I should definitely try it out.

Flot

Reaction score
Yeah, I've demoed the feature for friends a few times now and while it is an interesting gimmick, it has usually taken 3x as long to let it self park vs doing it myself. The auto-brake is part of it, if you're coming in too hot it'll slam the brakes on.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking, "Quadrasteer is awesome...I'm going to miss it!"

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sitting here thinking, "Quadrasteer is awesome...I'm going to miss it!"

Wow, I vaguely remember hearing about this in the past. Youtubed it just now and wow what a crazy thing to watch

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so I'm totally hijacking now...
They built quite a few Denalis, but mine is the rare 1500HD (the old 3/4-ton frame with the new 3/4-ton driveline, built so that GM could claim they had a 1/2-ton crew cab). The most rare are the Suburbans, which had fender flares on the rear.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone tested the perpendicular auto parking yet?

ericd

Reaction score
I believe that’s what @ericd was testing (not the auto parellel park).
Is that correct @ericd?

Yes I did the perpendicular. Didn't get to try the parallel, but someone posted a video a while back showing the parallel.

Users who are viewing this thread