5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Level 1 Equipment Group versus Advanced Safety Group?

Jasolution

Reaction score
I am looking at two 2019 Limited trucks. One truck has the Level 1 Equipment Group while the other has the Advanced Safety Group + Off Road Group. Based on what I can find on the Dodge website, it appears that the Advanced Safety Group has all of the Level 1 Equipment Group features except:

- Harman Kardon sound system
- Ventilated rear seats

The Level 1 package is a $2,995 upgrade and the ASG is a $1,695 upgrade. Are there others who have bought either or have good knowledge of the packages who can confirm that these two features are the only differences between L1 and ASG?

Since neither of those are really big features for me, I’m inclined to pursue the truck with the Off Road Group instead since it’s priced a bit less. Just want to make sure I’m not missing anything else if I forego the L1 in favor of the ASG.

Thanks!

Tundralag

Reaction score
If it were me I would go with the one that has the safety group. I believe the one without off road package has 22 inch tires. That would be a deal breaker for me since I hunt and fish drive on the farm etc.
I love the adaptive cruise in my longhorn.
They didn’t have the off road so I just bought cooper at3 4s tires. Love the truck

BLUf: get what makes you happy.

Jasolution

Reaction score
According to the window sticker, both trucks have the Advanced Safety Group, but the one with the Level 1 Equipment Group does have the 22" wheels and the tires are definitely a pavement-optimized tread pattern.

Truck #1
Level 1 Equipment Group
ASG
5' 7" box
22" wheels
3.92 axle
5.7 Hemi
E-locker rear axle
Trailer brake control

Truck #2
Off Road Group
ASG
6' 4" box
20" wheels
3.92 axle
5.7 Hemi
Anti-slip rear axle
Trailer brake control
33 gallon fuel tank
Spray-in bedliner
Tonneau
Body-color bumper group add-on

As far as I can determine, the only two items that I'd give up from L1 package on truck #2 are the ventilated rear seats and the Harman Kardon sound system. If I am interpreting all of this correctly, the ASG group on truck #2 gives me all of the important safety related technology from the L1 group?

Attachments

• 2019-06-30_8-56-02.jpg
    2019-06-30_8-56-02.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 77
  • TRUCK-1.jpg
    TRUCK-1.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 86
  • TRUCK-2.jpg
    TRUCK-2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 82

Tundralag

Reaction score
I would go with truck two. 20 inch rims off road package 33gal tank. Go look up what tires cost for the road queen in truck one. Again it depends on what you intended to do with the truck. If it’s a on road only. Get #1
If you plan to get into the soup. #2

Again not my truck. Hard decision is yours

carbonhuntram

Reaction score
According to the window sticker, both trucks have the Advanced Safety Group, but the one with the Level 1 Equipment Group does have the 22" wheels and the tires are definitely a pavement-optimized tread pattern.

Truck #1
Level 1 Equipment Group
ASG
5' 7" box
22" wheels
3.92 axle
5.7 Hemi
E-locker rear axle
Trailer brake control

Truck #2
Off Road Group
ASG
6' 4" box
20" wheels
3.92 axle
5.7 Hemi
Anti-slip rear axle
Trailer brake control
33 gallon fuel tank
Spray-in bedliner
Tonneau
Body-color bumper group add-on

As far as I can determine, the only two items that I'd give up from L1 package on truck #2 are the ventilated rear seats and the Harman Kardon sound system. If I am interpreting all of this correctly, the ASG group on truck #2 gives me all of the important safety related technology from the L1 group?
no brainer for me...get the 33gal and 20" wheel. If you don't mind the extra long box. The ASG is well worth it.

brewdad

Reaction score
I did not know one could get anti-spin rear axle with the off road group.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would definitely go with Truck #2 if it were me. The 9 Speaker Alpine stereo is pretty darn good. My co-worker has the Harmon Kardon and he thinks mine sounds better but mostly because he says his is over-bassed. The ventilated rear seats are nice but are you going to have passangers back there very often that need it? The rear seat area stays cooler in my truck due to the deeper tinting in the rear.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would not care about ventilated rear seats. I do love my ventilated driver's seat, though. I had that on my last truck (for 10 years) and would not want to give that up.

I would not buy one without the 33-gallon tank. Even 26 is not enough, to me. Especially if I'm towing anything on the highway. I really do not understand why any dealer ever orders a truck without the 33-gallon tank. At least when we're talking Laramie trim and up. I can't see any legit downside to it. For what these trucks cost, the extra $445 is not even a consideration (to me, anyway).

Bluesurf

Reaction score
Of the two choices.......... Truck #2 is a Winner.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
RAM needs to just make it standard. No reason for puny tanks.

+1,000,000!

I don't get what they are thinking with having a bigger tank as an option. Exactly. It SHOULD be standard. It should NOT be something we have to filter for when we are shopping for a new truck. Absolutely ridiculous.

And it's not just Dodge. My brother bought a '15 F250 a couple of years ago (which he just traded in for an '18 Ram 2500HD/Cummins - yes!). Tank size was not even on his radar (as it should not need to be). After he bought it, he discovered it only had something like a 26 gallon tank. Bad enough when you're road-tripping unloaded, but when you're towing heavy? Or towing at all, really. A total deal breaker.

Why complicate ordering or production by having multiple fuel tank sizes? It just makes no sense.

And, uuhh, why, yes. It IS a pet peeve of mine. What gave it away? LOL

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Confused about the off road group. Thought they all got lockers standard. Guess that's not the case.

If you're not 100% sure about either truck, just shop around elsewhere and find what you really want. Have you tried other dealers?

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
I pretty much have truck 1 except with the bigger tank. I'm not a fan of the 22's and will be replacing them sooner than later. The alpine system is on par with any high end system out there. As for rear ventilated seats..... you'll never use them. Go with truck #2

cra1g

Reaction score
I pretty much have truck 1 except with the bigger tank. I'm not a fan of the 22's and will be replacing them sooner than later. The alpine system is on par with any high end system out there. As for rear ventilated seats..... you'll never use them. Go with truck #2

Well, about those rear ventilated seats...my 10-year-old thinks they're the coolest thing ever. I knew he would, and I have to admit it influenced my decision on which truck to buy.

Bay Area RAM

Reaction score
Well, about those rear ventilated seats...my 10-year-old thinks they're the coolest thing ever. I knew he would, and I have to admit it influenced my decision on which truck to buy.
Hahaha. I'll bet.... my 5 yr old could care less but I'm sure he'll complain about it when he's 10.

Tom488

Reaction score
Rather than offer my own opinion on which truck I would buy if I were you, I'm going to actually answer your question (I know, crazy, right?)

Truck #1 has the HK sound system, ACC, ABA, FCW+, LDW+, PPA, ventilated rear seats, and SurroundView. It comes w/ 22" wheels, an E-locker, and a brake controller

Truck #2 has the standard Alpine sound system, ACC, ABA, FCW+, LKA, PPA, and SurroundView. It comes with 20" wheels, an E-locker, a brake controller, a tri-fold tonneau cover, and a spray-in bedliner. As it comes w/ the Off-Road group, it has skid plates, a full-size spare, and Hill Descent

Although they give them different names (Lane Keep Assist vs. Lane Departure Warning Plus), they're the same feature.

So, truck #1 is granite, with a 5'7" bed, no bedliner, 22" wheels, and a nicer sound system
truck #2 is ivory, with a 6'4" box, a lesser sound system, no ventilated rear seats, but with 20" wheels, off-road group, a bedliner, and a tonneau cover

All the safety features are the same between both trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread