5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited inventory- what’s the deal?

Ram’dit

Reaction score
My dealers around me haven’t gotten any new limited inventory in over a month. What’s the deal?

Supply problems?

surfingcrna

Reaction score
Before I ordered my truck the dealer I was speaking to at the time mentioned Ram was finishing up their run of Big Horns and everyone had or was getting a ton of them and to expect the November rebates to reflect that. Come November that's what the rebates were on. Maybe they just ran through all the limiteds they produced and are out until they start the next run of them. Not sure if that's how it goes, but that's the impression I got from the dealer.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dallas has limiteds all over the dealer floors. I look Ive even seen a few with Ram box. Some are oddly optioned.

surfingcrna

Reaction score
There was only 1 Rambox in Florida that happened to randomly show up and the others were mostly Tradesman and Big Horns with only a handful of limiteds. Maybe they choose trim allocation by region as well, would make sense.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There was only 1 Rambox in Florida that happened to randomly show up and the others were mostly Tradesman and Big Horns with only a handful of limiteds. Maybe they choose trim allocation by region as well, would make sense.
Could be.. Ill tell you this I was a lone Limited, hell 2019 Ram in total and then in this last week there has been an explosion of 19 Rams. I see them all over now.

I would order though. Simple fact that the October build dates have the clunk fixed according to the TSB and I think it will be much more updated out of the box.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers configure and order trucks just like we would, they just configure them to how they know will sell quickly. Your region may not be a demographic that buys that configuration quickly.

I have about 10 dealers within an hour from me and I searched their inventory and/or visited their lots and you can definitely pick up on patterns of how a sales manager orders trucks. One was all 8.4 radios (no 8.4c). One was all 3.21 gearing. One had 8 Rebels, I guess they really liked Rebels. Another only had lower equipped “cheap” models, etc.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers configure and order trucks just like we would, they just configure them to how they know will sell quickly. Your region may not be a demographic that buys that configuration quickly.

I have about 10 dealers within an hour from me and I searched their inventory and/or visited their lots and you can definitely pick up on patterns of how a sales manager orders trucks. One was all 8.4 radios (no 8.4c). One was all 3.21 gearing. One had 8 Rebels, I guess they really liked Rebels. Another only had lower equipped “cheap” models, etc.
I absolutely see this trending. One dealer has all Towing packages. Another has almost every truck with the Indigo/Frost interiors. Another has almost all Off Road packages. Another has the Protection Group, but not a single one with a 33 gal tank. I began to wonder if that's how the dealer's differentiate themselves from each other.

I'm having a heckuva time trying to get a Limited optioned close to the way I would like. Had a truck (ordered by the dealer in August and shipped in October) that's on a train for delivery being held for us with a delivery 'around Thanksgiving'. Just got the word that it's now moved to January while I'm in the process of selling the vehicle that the truck will replace tomorrow. We expected to deal with having a single vehicle for a couple of weeks...but January?

I realize that the RAM is the 2nd most popular vehicle in the US right now, but it seems like FCA is having difficulty getting vehicles already built to the dealers. I have no clue as to why it takes 3 months to get a truck from MI to CO. Seems like Over The Road haulers could do it quicker.

Last edited:

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I think the trucks on the lots are price engineered... the tow package makes sense for them because they can sell it like "look its got the package"... but for them its only a $400 upgrade... while the larger fuel tank is 445 but its only a bullet point... apply that kind of thinking throughout the option list and you carve out ~5k and you can put a top trim truck online for ~XXk.

Dont apply the thinking of the board members to all buyers this is a "truck order bubble" lots of guys end up here because they are trying to figure out what options to take or because they are waiting on their truck... The vast majority just goes to the dealer and have them talk into a truck to take home the same day and it will take them a few days to figure out that they should have paid a few bucks extra to get the large fuel tank or that the tow package comes without the 360cam... to late by then... but for dealers those odd configurations make a lot of sense...

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My broker had difficulty understanding why I wanted the trailer brake controller without the tow package. We had to explain to him the things we would lose (360 Cam) and the fact that we wouldn't be trailering often. Adding a brake controller later usually turns into a goat rope, so it makes sense for the money to have it optioned from the mfr. When you do tow, you'll realize that you should have gotten the bigger fuel tank. My brother-in-law already made that mistake, so I choose not to repeat it. :cool:

I try to learn as much as I can before I get into something as large as acquiring a new vehicle. It's not an 'impulse buy'.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I searched a 500 mile radius and could not find a truck like i wanted. Main items for me was brake controller with no tow mirrors, 33gal tank, no sunroof. One dealer argued with me saying that tow package still had 360 cams until i showed him it did not.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m glad I educated myself before purchasing.

Dealers around here had lots of Limiteds, but the bulk of the trucks had tow mirrors which I didn’t want (must haves - 360 view and power fold). Then I found my truck, and it was the only one they had with all the features I was looking for (color, 33 gal tank, non slip diff, tonneau, etc).

This was back in July. Would have thought that by now everyone would have more inventory.

Around here (4th largest city in the US) I have seen prob half a dozen 2019s (of any trim) on the road in the last six months.

Longhorn

Reaction score
I absolutely see this trending. One dealer has all Towing packages. Another has almost every truck with the Indigo/Frost interiors. Another has almost all Off Road packages. Another has the Protection Group, but not a single one with a 33 gal tank. I began to wonder if that's how the dealer's differentiate themselves from each other.

I'm having a heckuva time trying to get a Limited optioned close to the way I would like. Had a truck (ordered by the dealer in August and shipped in October) that's on a train for delivery being held for us with a delivery 'around Thanksgiving'. Just got the word that it's now moved to January while I'm in the process of selling the vehicle that the truck will replace tomorrow. We expected to deal with having a single vehicle for a couple of weeks...but January?

I realize that the RAM is the 2nd most popular vehicle in the US right now, but it seems like FCA is having difficulty getting vehicles already built to the dealers. I have no clue as to why it takes 3 months to get a truck from MI to CO. Seems like Over The Road haulers could do it quicker.

Where in CO? What dealership? Get a good deal on order?

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in Douglas County, CO. I'm working with a broker. We haven't gone through numbers yet. I need the truck before January, so we're still working with the regional inventory folks to locate a suitable truck in inventory or arriving soon.

chrisfuss

Reaction score
I'm in Douglas County, CO. I'm working with a broker. We haven't gone through numbers yet. I need the truck before January, so we're still working with the regional inventory folks to locate a suitable truck in inventory or arriving soon.

get something from inventory... there is no way you get an order before Jan

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just settled on a truck that just hit inventory. We didn't really want the eTorque, but it's a lease. If we love it, we'll likely buy it out. If there are problems with the technology, it'll be under warranty through the term of the lease and we walk away at the end. We'd then see what the market looks like in 3 years. Maybe the new diesel will be the dog's bollocks?

I would have liked the 3.92 axle, but towing is such an outlier for us that having the 3.21 won't hurt us much. I see us taking jaunts in the new truck that would benefit from the higher efficiency. I can usually coax max mileage out of anything I drive.

A local dealer had 2 identical Limited configurations. One is in Billet Silver and one in Delmonico Red. We've had multiple vehicles in shades of grey/silver and decided this time to go with the red.

Ranchram

Reaction score
You probably know this, but the ram website lists all of the trucks that fit your specs. e.g. ramboxes in a 150 mile area. I am also in Douglas county CO and was treated very well at medved in castle rock.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looked at Medved. They have 4 Limiteds, all dark colors (Black, Granite, and Maximum Steel). Glad you had a good experience with them.

Was using the Ram website to find matches, and I must say that the website sucks. Every vehicle is listed twice, and the sorting mechanism doesn't seem to work at all. Seems like dealers must pay to have their inventories at the top of the list or something, because it groups vehicles by dealer, and it's not alpha sorted. When you use the list to get details on a truck and go back, it collapses the "LOAD MORE RESULTS" and you have to extend it again. It was actually easier to find vehicles by dealer website since the purchasing managers seem to follow certain 'recipes' for their builds. I've also gotten really good at reading Monroney stickers in this quest. :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread