5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited DRL's

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assumed the Limiteds DRL's were the led slits above and below the headlights (as in the brochure). So when I pulled up to the window tint shop I saw the reflection of the truck in their glass. I'd swear they weren't on. Yes it was in gear. When I left, I brought up the settings and found the daytime running light section in the menu and it was off. Turned it on but that activates the headlights not the led slits. Am I due for a trip dealer or am missing something.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are very dim in comparison to any other DRL LEDs I can think of - is it possible they were on and just weren't the brightness you were expecting so they didn't seem on? I'll try some different scenarios (remote start, park, in gear) on mine and share so you can replicate to see if there's an issue.

Pretty sure they come on sometimes other than being in drive - I'll let you know that way you can look at them from outside the truck.

Last edited:

Craftman

Reaction score
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) — If Equipped
The headlights on your vehicle will illuminate when the
engine is started and the transmission is in any gear except
PARK. This provides a constant lights on condition until
the ignition is turned OFF. The lights illuminate at less than
half of normal intensity. If the parking brake is applied, the
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) will turn off.

Yep, I thought the same thing, led slits above and below the headlights seem to on all the time but are not very bright during the day.

I have DRL turned on and the headlights are on during the day - according to the manual they are at 50%

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, so I hopped in the truck and started it. In the shade you can barely see the slits are lit. They sure aren't DRL's as I assumed. I have no idea what their point is. I guess I will use the actual DRL option in settings. Thanks for all the replies.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
My DRL and Headlight will turn on if DRL is selected on the menu, it is normal?

NW_19Ram

Reaction score
Yeah they look awesome at dust but barely visible or almost purplish in the daylight. They also dim when using only parking lights. Yes I’ve spent much time in front of a window going through all options.

Scarittagle

Reaction score
Some electrical whiz hopefully will be able to access the "slit" accent light voltage. I think the leds are only seeing a couple of volts. If that's the case maybe there is a way to increase voltage to where they'll be more noticeable in daylight. They'll never be drl's but they'll look better.

It’s the same on your bi-led headlight as well?

DSOOBY

Reaction score
It's the same on the non Limited/Longhorn headlights. I remember hearing it has to do with headlight regulations, since the "accent" led is on even when the blinkers are on, the brightness they put out had to be dimmed down. GM, for instance uses switch backs, thus turning off the white LED and switching it to yellow for blinkers, thus allowing the light output to be equal between the two. Not quite sure why Ram decided to go this route but I'm in the same boat wishing they were a bit more pronounced.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's the same on the non Limited/Longhorn headlights. I remember hearing it has to do with headlight regulations, since the "accent" led is on even when the blinkers are on, the brightness they put out had to be dimmed down. GM, for instance uses switch backs, thus turning off the white LED and switching it to yellow for blinkers, thus allowing the light output to be equal between the two. Not quite sure why Ram decided to go this route but I'm in the same boat wishing they were a bit more pronounced.
This makes sense. It looks awkward to see an LED DRL turn off on one side of a car to emphasize the turn signal (even if it is a safety issue). My wife's Audi does this. You'd think they would have at least designed the turn signal to utilize the DRL housing so that it didn't look like it has a burned-out LED when the turn signal is on. But maybe I'm the only one who notices these things :)

Scarittagle

Reaction score

One more reason to upgrade to the Bi-LED lol

PTRAM

Reaction score
I have the premium LED Automatic Reflector Headlamps in my BIGHORN and I turned on the DRLs and when I get close to vehicles at a stop light in the day time I can see the lights reflecting off that vehicle. However, I have only had this for 5 weeks so mine may be different than the Limited and more time to check further with my assumption for now.

Yelzelity

Reaction score
My DRLs are the same brightness as the headlights, shrug?

JoeRam

Reaction score
Yeah they look awesome at dust but barely visible or almost purplish in the daylight. They also dim when using only parking lights. Yes I’ve spent much time in front of a window going through all options.
@NW_19Ram Are you trying this at DUSK, or in the DUST.... just thought I would point out there is a difference, and yes, being a smart ***!!!

jmac

Reaction score
I parked up to a window and turned on the headlights to see if they go brighter than the DRL's. They didnt change at all, same brightness.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) — If Equipped
The headlights on your vehicle will illuminate when the
engine is started and the transmission is in any gear except
PARK. This provides a constant lights on condition until
the ignition is turned OFF. The lights illuminate at less than
half of normal intensity. If the parking brake is applied, the
Daytime Running Lights (DRL) will turn off.

Yep, I thought the same thing, led slits above and below the headlights seem to on all the time but are not very bright during the day.

I have DRL turned on and the headlights are on during the day - according to the manual they are at 50%

hey thanks,this what i needed to know.i thought it was and option or i set it up wrong :LOL::LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online