5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited doesn't offer Off-road + Night Edition. Better to choose one over the other and customize after, or get a fully loaded Laramie?

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Limited doesn't let you do Night Edition and the off road package, not sure why. Laramie does. If I get a fully loaded Laramie, am I missing out on anything other than Limiteds unique interior? Acoustic glass or anything comfort wise that would be gone?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You get actual real leather seats in Limited (and Long Horn) and leather on the dash and console, plus more realistic (but afaik still not actually) wood trim. Outside you get better LED headlights.

Since Limited comes only with Air Suspension (except in Canuckistan) really all the ORG would get you is skid plates, 20” wheels (vs. 22s on NE), tires, and programming for the air springs to ride 1” higher in normal mode (essentially the same as driving in Off Road 1 setting in a non-ORG truck, and also hence why ORG deletes the OR2 setting).

You can add the skid plates after the fact and alter the suspension height with Revel Links and maybe a spacer as desired, for the price around the same as the ORG option.

So only thing your really missing out on by skipping factory ORG is different tires and wheels and possibly “HD shocks”; though I’ve long been curious if they were ever actually different from Non-ORG air suspension trucks. Even still you could add Bilstien 5100 shocks to the rear, and some very enterprising folks have even done it on the front.

So the question is really would I rather get the limited and miss out on wheels and tires and possibly shocks? (Or have to invest in those things?)

Or would I rather miss out on the creature comforts and luxuries of the limited that I first mentioned, which cannot be retrofitted easily or sanely to a Laramie, but get all the factory ORG goodies and not have to mess with anything?

If you already were planning for air suspension and aftermarket wheels and tires I’d say go with the Limited.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hill descent control is the one ORG feature that can’t be easily added after the fact.

BTW, the wood trim in the Limited and Longhorn is real.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right, I also forgot the most important pieces… without the factory ORG package you don’t get a sticker, hill descent, or off road pages.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You get actual real leather seats in Limited (and Long Horn) and leather on the dash and console, plus more realistic (but afaik still not actually) wood trim. Outside you get better LED headlights.

Since Limited comes only with Air Suspension (except in Canuckistan) really all the ORG would get you is skid plates, 20” wheels (vs. 22s on NE), tires, and programming for the air springs to ride 1” higher in normal mode (essentially the same as driving in Off Road 1 setting in a non-ORG truck, and also hence why ORG deletes the OR2 setting).

You can add the skid plates after the fact and alter the suspension height with Revel Links and maybe a spacer as desired, for the price around the same as the ORG option.

So only thing your really missing out on by skipping factory ORG is different tires and wheels and possibly “HD shocks”; though I’ve long been curious if they were ever actually different from Non-ORG air suspension trucks. Even still you could add Bilstien 5100 shocks to the rear, and some very enterprising folks have even done it on the front.

So the question is really would I rather get the limited and miss out on wheels and tires and possibly shocks? (Or have to invest in those things?)

Or would I rather miss out on the creature comforts and luxuries of the limited that I first mentioned, which cannot be retrofitted easily or sanely to a Laramie, but get all the factory ORG goodies and not have to mess with anything?

If you already were planning for air suspension and aftermarket wheels and tires I’d say go with the Limited.
Real wood in the top trims, actually…and don’t forget the ELocker and aluminum full-size spare in the ORG. It’s a really good deal if you want the components in that package, TBH.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score
Real wood in the top trims, actually…and don’t forget the ELocker and aluminum full-size spare in the ORG. It’s a really good deal if you want the components in that package, TBH.
Excuse my ignorance but what is ORG?

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

At least on the configurator, for 2022, you can get the e-locker as a standalone option on night edition (or any other trim).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At least on the configurator, for 2022, you can get the e-locker as a standalone option on night edition (or any other trim).
Sure, you can. I was just pointing out that it’s yet another inclusion in the ORG, and (along with the full-size aluminum spare) I didn’t see this called out above.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One of the things I just love about Ram that brought me over (snd which was especially true before the pandemic) was how Ram really provides a lot of a la carte options and doesn’t force you into packages, far more so than other makes.

They still have some of course, and I fear it’s going to get worse, but they do a great job of individualizing at least all mechanical choices.

So conundrums like OP’s are far better accommodated, and probably rarer, than any other truck maker.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I purchased a Laranie and optioned it up to a Limited level. I got the Night Edition and Off Road Packages.
See signature for full specs. I am also running a Comma3 that makes the truck drive similar to a Tesla. I just
did a 2600 mier trip with my hands off the wheel 95% of the time..

Malodave

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I purchased a Laranie and optioned it up to a Limited level. I got the Night Edition and Off Road Packages.
See signature for full specs. I am also running a Comma3 that makes the truck drive similar to a Tesla. I just

Malodave
You can't option a Laramie up to a Limited level. The difference in headlights alone was worth it to me to upgrade from a Laramie to a Limited.

PoopsMcGee

Reaction score

Malodave
Never even knew that existed.

What's this aux fuel tank I see? 72 gal total? I imagine that's very heavy, and takes up a lot of under carriage space, especially for off road?

How are you liking the air suspension?

You can't option a Laramie up to a Limited level. The difference in headlights alone was worth it to me to upgrade from a Laramie to a Limited.
What's the difference? Just led?

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BTW, the wood trim in the Limited and Longhorn is real.
Not a perfect fit, but I couldn't resist...

db106b7ff6bdd191af501171eee077ae.jpg

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
They're projector LED, while the Laramie has reflector LED. They're also active, meaning they move a little left and right with the turns. They don't move enough to really notice while I'm driving though. But IMO the Limited headlights are more effective at night than the Laramie headlights, especially on the dark country roads where I live.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The leather quality and coverage is better in the Limited and Longhorn, too. (Not that it’s bad in the Laramie.)

Another downside is that a fully-loaded Laramie can sticker out for more than a loaded Limited or Longhorn! And in the end, it’ll still be a Laramie at resale. But if it’s the only way to get the look you want…

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Never even knew that existed.

What's this aux fuel tank I see? 72 gal total? I imagine that's very heavy, and takes up a lot of under carriage space, especially for off road?

How are you liking the air suspension?

The Comma3 was released about 1 year ago. The RAM 1500 is the first Truck officially supported. The HD line
will be next. We have Steer to 0 mph working on the 1500 and most of the HD trucks. The others may need a small
additional wiring to get working. There are threads on the Comma here on the forum, but the latest info would be
on the Discord Server. I designed the "Mirror Mount" for it. Your Truck does need the Lane Keep Assist and
Adaptive Cruise Control installed to work. They are in the Advanced Safety Group.

I do some long distance traveling sometimes. So I wanted to be able to pick and choose when I fuel up. It
will be mounted in the bed. I got Windoors on my cap to let me fill it up.

The Air Suspension works fine now that it is a closed system. The previous version could ice up during winter
because it was an open system.

Malodave

Attachments

• MirrorMountRear.jpg
    MirrorMountRear.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 16
  • MirrorMounFront.jpg
    MirrorMounFront.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    2021RAMLaramie-LEER-122_3.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 15