5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Dashboard Delaminating and Bubbling

TSmithRL1

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new here and I know this has been covered on numerous occasions as I've searched the forums and read through many if not all of the posts. I just bought a 2019 Limited and somehow during the test drive and pre-purchase both my son and I missed that there were large bubbles on the leather dash, both on driver's and passenger sides. Shame on me I know, I'm usually way more thorough, but apparently I had several moments of weakness/lapses in judgement (see my other post regarding mechanical problems as well). I'm also a little miffed at the dealer for passing this and other problems on to me, but ultimately I probably should have caught this one easily.

I know that many have had this repaired under warranty, but my truck has 54K miles on it and its BTB warranty is expired, both in time and miles. I got a 2 year 24K mile extended warranty with the purchase, but it does not cover trim and such. Just wondering if anyone has had this repaired outside of warranty, and if so how costly was the repair and what did you have to do to accomplish? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

TSmithRL1

Reaction score
Update - Dealer says $2,200 to replace the dash parts and labor, with a 2 year/unlimited mile warranty. For the amount of work involved, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I hate to spend the $ on a truck I probably just overspent for anyway, but one of the reasons I bout the limited was for how nice it's interior is.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Have you talked to an upholstery shop? They can probably inject glue and get the leather to stick on the dash again.

TSmithRL1

Reaction score
Have you talked to an upholstery shop? They can probably inject glue and get the leather to stick on the dash again.
I have a call into two shops but haven't heard back. Unfortunately the truck is in the shop for another issue right now, so I cant take it to them. This dealer was really quick in getting back to me with what I thought was a pretty reasonable price given the amount of work likely involved, so I thought it was worth asking for opinions.

Av1

Reaction score
I think you made a good decision to replace it even though it's expensive.

You just bought the truck and it would bother the heck out of you to see that everytime you drove it.

I would have replaced it too.

Russ_tn

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new here and I know this has been covered on numerous occasions as I've searched the forums and read through many if not all of the posts. I just bought a 2019 Limited and somehow during the test drive and pre-purchase both my son and I missed that there were large bubbles on the leather dash, both on driver's and passenger sides. Shame on me I know, I'm usually way more thorough, but apparently I had several moments of weakness/lapses in judgement (see my other post regarding mechanical problems as well). I'm also a little miffed at the dealer for passing this and other problems on to me, but ultimately I probably should have caught this one easily.

I know that many have had this repaired under warranty, but my truck has 54K miles on it and its BTB warranty is expired, both in time and miles. I got a 2 year 24K mile extended warranty with the purchase, but it does not cover trim and such. Just wondering if anyone has had this repaired outside of warranty, and if so how costly was the repair and what did you have to do to accomplish? Thanks in advance for any feedback.
I have a 2019 and the dash bubbled up and did the same thing. i have an extended warranty and will not cover cosmetic problems. The dealership is quoting $8000 to replace the leather panels. Talking to shops that rebuild vintage care recommends not replacing with leather but use vinyl as it will not pull loose.

How was this handled with your problem? Did you use a dealership, who repaired your truck?

Attachments

• E0E13102-FD59-4BEE-8448-A2A9B8AA2C52.jpeg
    E0E13102-FD59-4BEE-8448-A2A9B8AA2C52.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 8527705A-319A-44E7-A4E8-D00A394A3562.jpeg
    8527705A-319A-44E7-A4E8-D00A394A3562.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 102

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep go with vinyl… like the Laramies don’t have this issue. I seen guys post mentioning they paid roughly $1500 or so and had a interior shop do the swap for them. $8k is absurd especially knowing it’s just a matter of time before it happens again if you stick with leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Russ_tn

Reaction score
Yep go with vinyl… like the Laramies don’t have this issue. I seen guys post mentioning they paid roughly $1500 or so and had a interior shop do the swap for them. $8k is absurd especially knowing it’s just a matter of time before it happens again if you stick with leather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agree 100%, the custom shops recommend a UV clear film installed in front windshield and highly recommend for all vehicles.

rstoffel

Reaction score

I have the same problem on my 2020 longhorn 54000miles this looks like a commom issue and sgould have a recall

Groucho53

Reaction score
I have the same problem on my 2020 longhorn 54000miles this looks like a commom issue and sgould have a recall
I have the same problem with my 2019 Longhorn.....can't find anyone to repair in south eastern NC

Fly300

Reaction score
Yeah you'd think. Just like the manifolds should be a recall. Personally, I will just stick with the bubbling and do a UV screen in the meanwhile. And probably got an interior shop at some point to correct. Thanks for the great info!

Fly300

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my 2019 Longhorn.....can't find anyone to repair in south eastern NC
Have you posted on FB for recommendations on an interior shop or just Googled upholstery shops in your area?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you go with that 2K factory repair, it will only happen again with time, leather shrinks in the heat, vinyl does not.

You are better off waiting to get a good upholstery shops opinion on the fix. Likely cheaper, and longer repair going that route. Your dealer replacement dash will start to shrink probably after that 2 year warranty from them expires, than that's another 2K?

Users who are viewing this thread