5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Dash Leather Cleaning Suggestions

jgibbons1685

Reaction score
I’ve never had a vehicle with a premium leather dashboard before, much less the wood grain finishing. What do you recommend cleaning the leather dash and wood with? Thanks for any advise!

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never had a vehicle with a premium leather dashboard before, much less the wood grain finishing. What do you recommend cleaning the leather dash and wood with? Thanks for any advise!

I use Chemical Guys cleaner/conditioner. Great stuff just don't use so much it soaks the leather. There's adhesive underneath keeping it looking good on your dash.

Don't worry about the wood so much. It's got a ton of sealant/glue so that's mostly what you'll be cleaning. It's really a laminate with all the stripes of light wood sandwiched in there.

jgibbons1685

Reaction score
I use Chemical Guys cleaner/conditioner. Great stuff just don't use so much it soaks the leather. There's adhesive underneath keeping it looking good on your dash.

Don't worry about the wood so much. It's got a ton of sealant/glue so that's mostly what you'll be cleaning. It's really a laminate with all the stripes of light wood sandwiched in there.
Thanks! I was looking at Chemical Guys products.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I haven’t tried the Chemical Guys products, but I typically just use Meguiar’s interior detailing wipes. They’re super mild and claim to be safe for all surfaces. I like that they’re residue-free.

barakutha

Reaction score
They make high quality products
3a507e3aa61bb28788c53bdf30ff889a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checkairspeed

Reaction score
Owners manual states Mopar Total Clean for stubborn soils. Says you can best preserve with a damp,soft cloth. States application of a leather conditioner is not required to maintain the original condition. YMMV. I will wipe down with a damp, soft cloth and then apply Leather Honey very sparingly. Whatever you decide, make sure not to glob any cleaner or conditioner on ventilated seats or you will clog the pores. A little goes a long way.

jgibbons1685

Reaction score
Owners manual states Mopar Total Clean for stubborn soils. Says you can best preserve with a damp,soft cloth. States application of a leather conditioner is not required to maintain the original condition. YMMV. I will wipe down with a damp, soft cloth and then apply Leather Honey very sparingly. Whatever you decide, make sure not to glob any cleaner or conditioner on ventilated seats or you will clog the pores. A little goes a long way.
Thanks for that!

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Chemical guys interior detail spray. It has UV protection which is an added bonus.

MattF

Reaction score
I love leather in cars and trucks. I have found over time (lots of time being a older guy) that the following work great for caring for leather and minimizing wear.

1) Dusting - this is the most frequent need for cleaning - A high quality plush microfiber (or two) is all you'll need.
2) Minor cleaning (usually everything but the seat bottoms and door handles) - I use either Leather Masters Soft Cleaner or a few drops of Woolite mixed with warm water - applied with microfiber sponges
3) Major cleaning - Seat bottoms, steering wheels, high use areas - I use Leather Masters Strong cleaner or Soft cleaner depending on how soiled - applied with a microfiber sponge followed by Leather Masters Vital and then Leather Masters Protection

I have NO affiliation with Leather Masters - just a lot of experience with many different products over a long time and have found LM is best for my purposes.

YMMV

Matt

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any mild cleaner will do (even a moistened microfiber with plain water). There's a myriad of them. CG, Griot's, 303, Megs, etc.
The main thing you will want is a product with god UV protection, specially for the dash if your vehicle sits out in the sun a lot. Otherwise you're good with any mild APC / cleaner.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any mild cleaner will do (even a moistened microfiber with plain water). There's a myriad of them. CG, Griot's, 303, Megs, etc.
The main thing you will want is a product with god UV protection, specially for the dash if your vehicle sits out in the sun a lot. Otherwise you're good with any mild APC / cleaner.
I’m a big fan of using a damp MF to keep things simple and avoid introducing an odor in the vehicle. I am pretty good at keep all of my vehicle interiors really clean so I normally don’t need any products. I’ll give CGs and Meguiars a go just to test them out. Thanks for the info.

canarygrass

Reaction score
Hi All - I just bought a limited two weeks ago. I cleaned the dash with armor all cleaning and protectant wipes (not knowing the dash was real leather) and now there is some blotchiness on the dash that won't seem to come out with soap and water or leather cleaner or conditioner. Did i just majorly screw up my dash or will this go away?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hi All - I just bought a limited two weeks ago. I cleaned the dash with armor all cleaning and protectant wipes (not knowing the dash was real leather) and now there is some blotchiness on the dash that won't seem to come out with soap and water or leather cleaner or conditioner. Did i just majorly screw up my dash or will this go away?
Try to clean it first. Not sure what's in AA wipes, but it should be some sort of film residue you're seeing. Just use a mild cleaner like a damp sponge with a little dish soap and water should do it as long as it's damp and not dripping. See if that removes the AA film.

Venom700

Reaction score
Might have to google this one. That sucks! And stay away from anything Armor All!

canarygrass

Reaction score
I tried cleaning it multiple times with a soapy microfiber cloth this morning, and while the blotchy spots seemed to fade, they are still visible. Really annoyed that there isn't some kind of warning on the armor all container about this - or that Ram didn't warn against using regular dashboard cleaner. Not sure if this will ever go away!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That stinks. Can you share photos to see what it looks like?

Users who are viewing this thread