5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limited Air Suspension Question

1500DFW

Reaction score
I nave a question about the air ride suspension and the Off Road Package. I know the ORP sits an inch higher in normal mode and only has one off road setting as opposed to the Non-ORP models. I also know using AlfaOBD you can set your truck to the ORP. My question is are there any physical differences between the trucks? Different UCAs or anything like that? Can I make my truck believe it’s an ORP and function like one simply by using AlfaOBD?

1500DFW

Reaction score
Just bumping this. Nobody knows anything about the difference between a Off Road and non Off Road truck with air suspension? I’m trying to see if they just inflate the springs more or if there’s actual mechanical differences? Thank you.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Don't know what truck you are asking about... Typically it sits higher, and it only gives you 4 settings for air, entry\aero\normal\OR1
You can trick any truck into thinking it's that, but then you use OR2 for no reason.

You can adjust your air bags in any height and save them, and then get an alignment if you really want.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Right now I have a 2019 1500 Limited ORG. I have used AlfaOBD to level the front end and added DayStar spacers.

I am considering buying a 2020 1500 Limited but it does not have the ORG. I was hoping to level the new truck as I did the old one. I was considering changing the software to think it’s an ORG truck or simply set all four corners an inch higher than stock.

But that’s why I wanted to know if there were any differences between the two in terms of control arms, etc. I know I can just raise the air bags but will that cause problems? Do the ORG tricks have different hardware that allow it to sit an inch higher and not have any issues?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Right now I have a 2019 1500 Limited ORG. I have used AlfaOBD to level the front end and added DayStar spacers.

I am considering buying a 2020 1500 Limited but it does not have the ORG. I was hoping to level the new truck as I did the old one. I was considering changing the software to think it’s an ORG truck or simply set all four corners an inch higher than stock.

But that’s why I wanted to know if there were any differences between the two in terms of control arms, etc. I know I can just raise the air bags but will that cause problems? Do the ORG tricks have different hardware that allow it to sit an inch higher and not have any issues?
ORG with air suspension, just sets normal ride height to the 1" higher setting. There are only 4 settings instead of 5. You lose the middle setting when ORG is ordered. From what I believe, you can set the standard air setting to off road 1 with alpha. The only other differences are hd shocks and skid plates. Suspension is all the same.

6of36

Reaction score
When you have air suspension, and ORG, you only have 4 options instead of 5. They are listed differently because of the higher ride height. Off road 2 without ORG is the same height as off road 1 with ORG. Off road 1, without ORG is the same as normal, with ORG. Normal height without ORG is not available with ORG. Aero and exit are the same on both.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
When you have air suspension, and ORG, you only have 4 options instead of 5. They are listed differently because of the higher ride height. Off road 2 without ORG is the same height as off road 1 with ORG. Off road 1, without ORG is the same as normal, with ORG. Normal height without ORG is not available with ORG. Aero and exit are the same on both.
This is incorrect.
I have listed what you get.

Just strange that 2WD has OR
I think you are confusing the terms.

The air suspension has 5 adjustable levels on a stock truck 2WD or 4WD doesn't matter. Entry exit, Aero, Normal, Offroad Level 1, and Offroad Level 2.
These are just the names they choose to use for the different height levels, ignore that it's called Offroad, OR1 is higher then normal and OR2 is higher then OR1.

If you have the "off road group" package it gives you stuff like a skid plate and a lift pre-installed, and the computer is set to only allow you to enter these 4 modes. Entry exit, Aero, Normal, and Offroad Level 1.

The off-road group package is only offered on 4x4 vehicles BUT you can set your truck with Alfaobd that it is an offroad truck, and it just removes Offroad Level 2 as an air suspension setting (even on a 2WD truck). This setting does NOT raise the height, as the raised height from the off road group package is a physical piece of hardware, not just extra air in the bags.
1679936493117.png

Hope this helps.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What I’ve long wondered is whether there are any actual differences to the shock valving itself with ORG on air suspension.

I think most people know the added rise height is just courtesy of programming change.

But marketing material indicates OrG also adds “HD shock absorbers”. Now on steel spring ORG trucks there is an actual difference in the shock and presumably it’s valving.

But what about air suspension?
Since we know the air springs ride differently at higher heights, it would be nice if they revavlved the shocks to match.
I think it’s especially important on the front suspension, where you can’t easily swap the shocks since it’s an integrated “coilover”. (I know some enterprising folks have swapped in Bilstien 5100s).

I’ve never come close to finding an answer. Online parts catalogs I’ve looked through do not provide different part numbers for shocks based on ORg or not (for air). So i suspect there is no difference? But I’m never sure…

6of36

Reaction score
What I’ve long wondered is whether there are any actual differences to the shock valving itself with ORG on air suspension.

I think most people know the added rise height is just courtesy of programming change.

But marketing material indicates OrG also adds “HD shock absorbers”. Now on steel spring ORG trucks there is an actual difference in the shock and presumably it’s valving.

But what about air suspension?
Since we know the air springs ride differently at higher heights, it would be nice if they revavlved the shocks to match.
I think it’s especially important on the front suspension, where you can’t easily swap the shocks since it’s an integrated “coilover”. (I know some enterprising folks have swapped in Bilstien 5100s).

I’ve never come close to finding an answer. Online parts catalogs I’ve looked through do not provide different part numbers for shocks based on ORg or not (for air). So i suspect there is no difference? But I’m never sure…
With a 1" difference in ride height, the difference at the shock is probably less than 1/4". The top and bottom of travel is the same with and without ORG. Just heavier duty shocks w/ORG.

1500DFW

Reaction score
Side question. Is it normal for the air suspension to frequently “auto correct” itself? I’ve noticed the sound of the air bags either lowering or raising from time to time. More frequently since I adjusted the height with AlfaOBD or I’m just paying more attention to it now. I just want to make sure that it isn’t trying to fix something I messed up or some kind of a small leak.

Also when I set the height of the truck I was on level ground. All measurements were exactly what I wanted. When I measure the height from time to time on different ground/roads the height is not exactly what I set it to. And each corner is not exactly level with the rest.

smashweights

Reaction score
To an extent. If the load on the suspension changes it will adjust it: unloaded or loaded a fully loaded bed. It'll also do it with temp changes. Park at 60 degrees leave at 85 it'll adjust because of PV=nRT

Users who are viewing this thread