5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting Issues

Reaction score
Hey guys, having a issue or at least I think I do. Just wanted to ask the community since the manual doesnt say a anything.

Ok so my first issue, I installed some OPT7 sidekick running board lights today and I notice that when the white lights are on and the signals are turned on there is a pulse (power draw) on white lights. The white lights are fine without the signals on no pulsing lights. The turn signal lights automatically turn on once the white lights turn off as designed. Just wanted to see if anyone has these and if you have the same thing happening. Maybe it's inherited to the design, due to the switchback design from white to amber and amber to white. The way these are wired, white light wire hooked up at the bed light power source (was orginally going to use the upper work bed with the white/tan wire but no access into cab from rocker panels) which turned out good because I can use my bed light switch and drive (maybe this isn't normal either never seen my bed lights while truck driving only the upper bed work light) with white step lights on. I learned today that the only bed lights that shut off in (D) mode is the CHSML, and not the ones inside of the bed. Anyhow I've posted a video showing this issue.

Issue #2 - I notice that once I close my doors, my upper bed light and running board lights shut off right away. Now this may not be an issue, but I'm 2nd guessing myself. Is it normal for the bedlights to shut off right away once door closes, and only the headlights, tails and puddles stay on for X amount of time delay? I can't remember, and the only reason I thinking about it is cause now with the running board I took notice of this event happening. Maybe its normal but I want to make sure. Please verify so I dont go crazy lol. Btw the lights stay on when unlocking the vehicle (running, puddle, headlights and bed lights) as normal.

Just not sure with all the computers and stuff messing with wires changing the way the computer does its sequence of lighting. You just never know, but with LED it shouldn't be an issue adding this stuff. Just worry more compared to older car that weren't so finicky.

So again wired as follows,
- White light wired to power wire of the bed light at the back (connector above the button switch)
- turn signals and ground wired directly to the taillights (orginally tried the 7way, brain fart on my part due to the left/stop and right/stop wiring - didnt want amber lights coming on every time innit the brake)
- parking lights not connected (don't want an amber bar on all the time)

Anyhow not sure how long thing post is, sold laptop and only working on cellphone until my new iPad arrives. So sorry if it's too long, but I do light details. Pardon any spelling errors, phone keyboards are mediocre at best as we all know.

VIDEO #1 - OPT7 all systems go...

VIDEO #2 - OPT7 pulsing white light

VIDEO #3 - CHSML light shutting off quick after shutting doors. Normal or not?

Reaction score
Spoke with OPT7, they say could be loose connection or too much power.

My connections are good, everything is soldered. My turn signals are wired into the taillights, turn signal wires connected to white/yellow and white/green for the respective L & R sides. Grounds are attached too 1 of the 3 grounds in taillight connectors, even ran ground right to frame for testing purposes and still same outcome.

White lights are connected to the factory bed lights at the rear. 2 connectors on those 1 for the switch and 1 for power. I've connected to the power (red) wire of those beds light. Wonder if I should connect to the CHSML work light instead and see.

White lights fine with turn signals no pulse.

Do you guys/gals think this is a issue due to the turn signals or white lights?

I just can see how I could be providing too much power, everything is LED.

Any help?

E.Hands

Reaction score
Can you please explain exactly where or how you tied in your turn signals?
I used the trailer light plug and when the brake lights come on so do my amber sidekicks.

Reaction score
Can you please explain exactly where or how you tied in your turn signals?
I used the trailer light plug and when the brake lights come on so do my amber sidekicks.
You can't wire the turn signals with the 7-pin connector because the turn signals and brake lights share the connector.

You need to wire your turn signal lights into the taillights.

Reaction score
Did you ever figure out the flickering issue?

No I didn't , and the company couldn't explain why. It doesn't bother me because it only happens when the turn signals are on and the doors are open. If the doors are open and turn signals OFF I don't get a flicker. I don't know if it's a power consumption issue with the truck or the step lights when both of these lights are on (turn signal and white running lights).

Everything works just fine and it's not often I open my door and have the signals on at the same time. So I'm happy.

E.Hands

Reaction score
You can't wire the turn signals with the 7-pin connector because the turn signals and brake lights share the connector.

You need to wire your turn signal lights into the taillights.
I was curious which color the wire you tapped into was and what was it's location?
I'm considering tapping into the bed lights for the white courtesy light function. Although that probably won't fade in and out like the white lights under the outside mirrors.
When I hook up the sequential lead to the turn signal connection on the trailer plug it seemed to pulse to fast, not giving the sequencing enough time to fully light up before starting over. So I just tied it into the parking light lead that I wasn't going to use anyway. Now the turn signal flashes the full length amber. Which I prefer.

Last edited:

UnclJim

Reaction score
I was curious which color the wire you tapped into was and what was it's location?
I'm considering tapping into the bed lights for the white courtesy light function. Although that probably fade in and out like the white lights under the outside mirrors.
When I hook up the sequential lead to the turn signal connection on the trailer plug it seemed to pulse to fast, not giving the sequencing enough time to fully light up before starting over. So I just tied it into the parking light lead that I wasn't going to use anyway. Now the turn signal flashes the full length amber. Which I prefer.
did you figure out which wires to tap into?

E.Hands

Reaction score
No, I haven't had time to locate the wires to the outside mirrors yet. I have the courtesy light wire tied into the cargo lights in the bed, which works well enough for now...

Users who are viewing this thread