5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Light Bar Wiring Plan

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
I recently installed a 20 inch light bar behind the lower grill and now need to wire it up. The light has a DRL mode and bright mode as well as off. It came with two relays that look like they are already connected. Need your guys advice if my plan to hook this up will work. It has a three way switch off, DRL, and bright. I would like the light to automatically turn off with the rest of the accessories so that I cannot accidentally leave the DRL mode on when the car is off and drain the battery. In the photos below, I play to hook the big red cable to the battery that comes with a 30 amp fuse connected on the wire. Then hook the battery ground wire up either to the negative side of battery or onto a bolt that ultimately grounds to the frame. I will mount the relays somewhere. Attach the open end of the harness to the light bar. I will feed the three way switch wires through the firewall.

Then I think I an going to disconnect the red wire from the switch and simply cap that wire off. I will then run a new red wire via one of the micro fuse taps in the photo below with a 5 amp micro fuse in one slot and the 20 amp original fuse from the fuse box in the other slot on the fuse tap. This would come from the f54 slot in the internal cabin fuse box that controls the upper center power outlet. I have verified that f54 slot is only active when truck ACC or RUN is on. It was the only slot I could find like that and none of the spare slots seemed to have any power.

So once I tap into that fuse slot and attach to where the original red wire on the switch is hooked up, I should be good to go. This is the first time I have ever attempted an install with a relay(s). Do you think this will work as planned or will I mess something up? Thanks! 747675F7-789B-4E8C-B407-B857E5C1CCB0.jpeg A2BE13CF-DABD-4BDE-9E48-4F34B71A5C72.jpeg 9A781D2A-2863-4E01-AF75-0EE516C72D1B.jpeg 97428268-12FF-47E4-80E3-30DBFB9BAB76.jpeg

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
So I got the light wired per the plan above and it seems to work well. Anyobe know the best spot and method to route the switch wires through the firewall and into the cab?

Users who are viewing this thread