5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifters and valve issues at 8,500 miles

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain, OP. My truck went in for a transmission problem with only 122 miles on it. After 3 1/2 weeks and them putting an additional 220 miles on it, the transmission was replaced. I noticed the lifter noise a couple of times a few days ago when I started it to move it a short distance. I started doing some research and some say it's the mopar filter's anti drain back valve being junk, and others said they only noticed it when they started it to move it and didn't actually drive it. I have made it a point not to start the truck just to move it a short distance since then, and have not heard the noise on any other startups.

As far as the lemon law goes, each state varies. Some, such as KS where I am, have cumulative time in the shop (30 days), the same problem 4 times, or a combination of multiple different repairs (10), all during the first year. It's worth finding out the specifics for your location.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, I’m sorry to hear about this. At least something is getting done to yours to fix it and get it back in it and on road. Despite another issue.
I’m not going to blow up & spew my case until mine is all over with. Lol
What I can say is I’m getting to my limit. Atleast reading your story is giving me some kind of hope.......

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I feel your pain, OP. My truck went in for a transmission problem with only 122 miles on it. After 3 1/2 weeks and them putting an additional 220 miles on it, the transmission was replaced. I noticed the lifter noise a couple of times a few days ago when I started it to move it a short distance. I started doing some research and some say it's the mopar filter's anti drain back valve being junk, and others said they only noticed it when they started it to move it and didn't actually drive it. I have made it a point not to start the truck just to move it a short distance since then, and have not heard the noise on any other startups.

As far as the lemon law goes, each state varies. Some, such as KS where I am, have cumulative time in the shop (30 days), the same problem 4 times, or a combination of multiple different repairs (10), all during the first year. It's worth finding out the specifics for your location.

My 2020 has bad lifter noise if I start it and move it without driving, on the next start up. My 2014 that had the MDS deleted and hellcat lifters, did the same thing if I moved it without really driving it. So I try my best to avoid it.

Rambruiser

Reaction score
My 2020 has bad lifter noise if I start it and move it without driving, on the next start up. My 2014 that had the MDS deleted and hellcat lifters, did the same thing if I moved it without really driving it. So I try my best to avoid it.
My 2019 developed the notorious lifter tick at 16.5miles. I talked to my service manager who told me that, they were certainly able to get it repaired for me since, they have had a lot of experience with that..... I decided not to pursue because I had already signed a lemon law buyback agreement just before the service visit and I knew, it was just a matter of time before returning my vehicle. Had I kept the ram, I would have thought about the deactivation kit and new cams. But, the truck is gone now, and already purchased a 2020 Tundra Limited.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m little worried, myself atm. Had I’m lifters replaced at 15.5k it’s now 17k. I just started hearing lifter noise again, as it was before repair. Nothing close to what it was, something Is there again.
If it has a noise, it is what it is. As long as it doesn’t get worse.
The last time, getting it diagnosed and fixed took months. Looking back, it was horrible experience. Not in mood to deal with that again, definitely not this soon.

Users who are viewing this thread