5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifters and valve issues at 8,500 miles

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Not Happy...check engine light came on a week ago, took it to the dealership and they said it has a tranny error. While they had it, I said that thing pings even with 91 and had some pretty nasty lifter tick at startup. They confirmed valve and lifter problems this week and are tearing into it. Isn't that going to show-up on a car fax when I go to sell it? If so, Ram can buy that truck back now...as my boat sits in storage and they will not provide me a loaner that tows anything.

SB09

Reaction score
Not Happy...check engine light came on a week ago, took it to the dealership and they said it has a tranny error. While they had it, I said that thing pings even with 91 and had some pretty nasty lifter tick at startup. They confirmed valve and lifter problems this week and are tearing into it. Isn't that going to show-up on a car fax when I go to sell it? If so, Ram can buy that truck back now...as my boat sits in storage and they will not provide me a loaner that tows anything.

I think you’ve got to give them a chance or two to fix the issue before they have to buy it back. That really sucks to hear though!

Sounds like you’ve got a Monday or Friday truck there for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Arth

Reaction score

Nope doesn't show on a history report at all. It'll appear as regular maintenance. On carfax it might say "Engine checked" and that's it. Now I have seen if they have to replace an engine that shows up sometimes.

That sucks about the loaner. I was at the mercy of Enterprise and all they would give me was a Jeep Wrangler.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
My last 2013 Ram ended in a lemon law lawsuit in 2014 because after 2-attempts to fix the transfercase, and 5-times repairing the cruise control in 12_months, Ram would not put a brand new transfercase in. Had an f-150 for 5-years and decided to give Ram a try again because I missed the ride and quiet comfort of the cab...I guess that was a mistake.

Maconi

Reaction score

Just curious, do you idle your truck a lot? I remember reading info on how the hemi destroys its cams/lifters on idle for some reason (and that's why some people don't ever report any issues, because they never idle their truck for every long). I feel like remote start will cause the issue to appear way more in these hemi engines though.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Just curious, do you idle your truck a lot? I remember reading info on how the hemi destroys its cams/lifters on idle for some reason (and that's why some people don't ever report any issues, because they never idle their truck for every long). I feel like remote start will cause the issue to appear way more in these hemi engines though.
No, and at 8,500 miles and 9-months old, it is a mute point. Good mix of town and highway driving with short distance towing of a 21-foot wakeboard Boat.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Give them a chance to make it right, at least you weren't fed the usual lines, "can't reproduce", "operating as designed", or "they all do that". Does suck not being able to go boating

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. You'll want to check the lemon laws in your area to be sure, but as mentioned already, it usually requires multiple attempts at fixing the same issue before you qualify for that. Also as mentioned above, it shouldn't affect your truck's value as far as negatively affecting the carfax report.

Couple of questions for you...what did they say about the transmission error you saw? And what year is your truck?

Bhew123

Reaction score
This will 100% show on a carfax. Now if it changes the value of your truck will be a matter of who appraises your trade.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was unaware that mechanical warranty work appeared on carfax. I knew it would be fcas records. Thought that was only for collision repair. It’s been sometime since I was actually in the market for a vehicle so I’m sure things have changed. I’d def be unhappy if I’m out of my truck for a period of time and then on top of that lost value of the truck afterwards too.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can see collision repair affecting value, but a mechanical repair, especially an engine replacement (if that's what happens in this case) shouldn't diminish the value of the vehicle. If anything, depending on what was repaired or replaced, it could increase the value IMHO. I bought a 2010 Audi A4 with just over 79k miles. At 78.9k miles the engine (long block) was replaced. It was a warranty repair for a known issue. To me it was a bonus to know it had a brand new engine with about 100 miles on it. It did show up on the carfax report, but didn't affect the price of the vehicle. As a buyer I felt I got an excellent deal on the car because of it. I wouldn't expect the same if the vehicle history included collision repair.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the problems you're having. You'll want to check the lemon laws in your area to be sure, but as mentioned already, it usually requires multiple attempts at fixing the same issue before you qualify for that. Also as mentioned above, it shouldn't affect your truck's value as far as negatively affecting the carfax report.

Couple of questions for you...what did they say about the transmission error you saw? And what year is your truck?
Dealership said the transmission needed an update to the module was the reason the check engine light came on? It didn't have any drive ability issues nor any shifting concerns. Mine is a 2019 Laramie Sport 4x4 with 3:92s

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OP, how long did it take to diagnose the engine noise, engine light with conformed warranted repair, a week? With how long has it been making engine noise before you took it in? You have any videos of noise?

Makenlegs

Reaction score
OP, how long did it take to diagnose the engine noise, engine light with conformed warranted repair, a week? With how long has it been making engine noise before you took it in? You have any videos of noise?
Great question! I had noticed it made a lifter/exhaust leak type sound when it started for months. I kind of remember my 13 ram sounding the same. This one is a little worse, but it was never anything I would consider severe. My wife had pointed it out on startup quite a few times, but to be honest, because of my last experience with Ram, I honestly didn't want to make an issue of something that most likely was of no concern and have them open a can of worms. But here we go again. The pinging irritated me when I first bought it, so second tank on I have just run premium which resolved 80-90% of that concern.
The valves/lifters just sounded a little dry or sloppy at initial start-up. I honestly chalked some of the noise up to an exhaust manifold sound that would either resolve itself or get worse. It did neither.
I took it in the next day after the check engine light came on. No videos. The only one I have tried to record is the clicking on first am drive from the tranny area on slow deceleration. That one is pretty loud

ScottMA64

Reaction score

Apologize for hijacking the thread. I hope that doesn't happen. I have almost as many idle hours as drive hours. Currently something like 252 idle hours and 264 drive hours. I always sit in my truck during my 2 breaks at work with the radio on. So I always have it running.

Scott

Maconi

Reaction score
Apologize for hijacking the thread. I hope that doesn't happen. I have almost as many idle hours as drive hours. Currently something like 252 idle hours and 264 drive hours. I always sit in my truck during my 2 breaks at work with the radio on. So I always have it running.

Scott

I idle a lot as well but I've been trying to cut back just in case. Shame that it's something we have to worry about.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Op, thanks for info.
I don’t idle a lot at all. Or at least I do t feel I do. Usually when it comes off high idle I’m moving.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Update:
Got the truck back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced the lifters, rocker arms and updated the tranny. Now I have a new problem. A real nice coolant smell coming from the exhaust and a rough idle. Both of which tell me, someone didn't nail the head gasket install...going back again next week...it's on!

Nibis

Reaction score
Update:
Got the truck back from the dealership yesterday. They replaced the lifters, rocker arms and updated the tranny. Now I have a new problem. A real nice coolant smell coming from the exhaust and a rough idle. Both of which tell me, someone didn't nail the head gasket install...going back again next week...it's on!
Do they have to remove the heads to do lifters?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online