5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick?

MarshLan

Reaction score
2021 ram 1500, 5.7 ETORQUE, 45k miles. In the last 5 months I’ve noticed a metallic tapping or ticking noise from driver side. Louder on cold starts, can still hear it at operating temp. Very noticeable in MDS mode and sometimes under load. I have also had some bucking and what feels like a loss of power around 60mph. No check engine light. I had both manifolds replaced at 30k miles. This video is at operating temp. Dealer says it’s just a rattling heat shield. Take very good care of the truck, oil and filter change every 4k miles. https://youtube.com/shorts/qVEDoY2zbHk?si=H4TuDbvY21SjCu3d

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
2021 ram 1500, 5.7 ETORQUE, 45k miles. In the last 5 months I’ve noticed a metallic tapping or ticking noise from driver side. Louder on cold starts, can still hear it at operating temp. Very noticeable in MDS mode and sometimes under load. I have also had some bucking and what feels like a loss of power around 60mph. No check engine light. I had both manifolds replaced at 30k miles. This video is at operating temp. Dealer says it’s just a rattling heat shield. Take very good care of the truck, oil and filter change every 4k miles. https://youtube.com/shorts/qVEDoY2zbHk?si=H4TuDbvY21SjCu3d
if it is "rattling heat shield" have dealer show you

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why didn't they just fix the rattling heat shield with their tool from their toolbox?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve asked multiple times. “Can’t allow anyone in the shop for safety purposes” is what I’m told.
I've had several dealers take me back to service area to show me things before, even with signs saying no customers allowed. I get it, it's a liability and insurance thing for them, but sometimes it's better to work with the customer.

And as Bigdodge said, if it's just a heat shield, they can show that to you in service entrance area.

Users who are viewing this thread