5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter tick on cold start

JW1974

Reaction score
Mine 2020 Bighorn has to have oil pump replaced. Still in in shop now getting a new transmission put in. I hope this is the last of the problems

Shaddawg

Reaction score
I’m late to this discussion, but have a ‘19 Longhorn with extremely bad lifter noise on startup randomly. I’ve collected several videos which I’ll post shortly. Dealer “can not replicate problem”. I changed the oil early at somewhere around 2500 miles using a K&N filter and AmsOil based on feedback from this forum, but it yielded no improvement. Sent several videos to the Chrysler care tech and the dealer service manager. The tech at the dealer said right away, “yep, that’s bad lifters”, but the rep at Chrysler has instructed the dealer to “install no new parts”.

Aside from this I’ve had several other apparently unreconcilable problems with this truck including an insanely loud “teapot noise” when driving at highway speed in wind. Dealer tech reproduced that problem briefly, but said they wouldn’t know how to fix the problem. Sent notes to Chrysler. I expect to hear nothing. 3rd dealer visit to resolve problems. I think I’m going to have to try another dealer and be without a truck even longer.

This is my second new Ram vehicle, the first being a Mega Cab 2500 Cummins a couple years ago that shed a transmission and left me stranded in the first 2000 miles without ever having towed anything but it’s own weight, then sat at a dealership while Chrysler tried to push a rebuilt transmission on me.

The tea kettle noise is probably the windshield seal. Add painters tape over the gap between the glass and paint where you here the noise. Then test drive it. We had the same issue with our 2019 jeep wrangler. Ours was in the bottom corner on the driver side.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We just sold our 2005 Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.. it's "ticked" when we got it a 60K miles. and still did it when we sold it at 200+K miles.
Do what you want, but predicting doom and gloom is only guessing. Our real experience shows a very different view.
My new 1500 has the same engine (with obvious improvements) but still has the exact same "ticking"
I'll take my actual expereince over your guessing any day.
One of my sons has had two Hemi Rams in a row, bought used. He complained of the 'hemi tick" on both. After I convinced him to try a MO-889 Mopar filter the "tick" disappeared by the time he sold the first truck at 155K miles. His current 2007 Ram 2500 no longer has the "tick" either at 190K.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 040144 miles.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
..."After I convinced him to try a MO-889 Mopar filter "......

"This doesn't fit a 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 5.7L 345Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated"

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
..."After I convinced him to try a MO-889 Mopar filter "......

"This doesn't fit a 2019 Ram 1500 Longhorn Crew Cab Pickup 4-Door 5.7L 345Cu. In. V8 GAS OHV Naturally Aspirated"
Since I see the your statement above is in quotes, I'm assuming there is some other source.

First, I was referring to my son's current vehicle which is a 2007 Ram 2500 with the 5.7 engine. For that year and engine the MO-889 was the factory oil filter. It was also the factory filter on my 2010 and 2014 Ram 1500s. Part way through the 4th gen Ram 1500s the factory started to ship with the MO-339. The MO-889 was still listed as the factory filter for Ram 2500s with the 5.7 motor up to 2018.

I continued to use the MO-889 because I once saw the spec. sheet and noticed it was listed as an 8 micron filter. I don't know what the filtration spec. is on the MO-339, but judging from it's size I suspect there is more filter media in the 889.

The MO-339 & MO-889 gasket diameter and contact width are the same, and both are 22mm thread. The overall length of the MO-889 is approximately .350 in longer. The MO-339 outside diameter is 2.94in, versus 3.65 for the MO-889.

There may in fact be some vehicle configurations that would prevent using the MO-889 in place of the MO-339 in the Mopar stable, but to say that the MO-889 can't mate to a 5.7 is categorically incorrect. It is likely true that reference guides do not list the MO-889 for the DT because the factory changed to the MO-339 in the late 4th gen build cycle. But other than their physical size they are interchangeable.

Please forgive the poor photography. I tried to enlist the help of a model but she was unavailable.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 040319 miles.

Attachments

• DSCN3179.JPG
    DSCN3179.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3177.JPG
    DSCN3177.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCN3178.JPG
    DSCN3178.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 44

Musky mike

Reaction score
For everyone who has the Hemi tick and the dealer won't address it, add a bottle of LubeGard, drive 1K miles and see if the tick goes away. It has helped many Hemi owners get rid of the Hemi tick. You have nothing to lose, but a few dollars. Also, some of the best regarded oil filters for the Hemi are, Fram Ultra, Purolater Boss, Royal Purple and Amsoil.

https://www.amazon.com/Lubegard-309...ywords=biotech+lubegard&qid=1601169790&sr=8-1

K1135

Reaction score
These experienced RAM owners are incorrect if they're saying that the anti drain back valves (ADBV) in all Mopar filters don't work as designed. It makes no sense that they would send out hundreds of thousand or even millions of oil filters a year on new vehicles or as part of oil changes either at dealerships or DIYers that have faulty ADBV's. One of the potential problem areas with lower end oil filters like the Mopar is that the ADBV is made out of nitrile rubber which can get hard and stiff after prolonged exposure to heat which could cause them to not seal properly. They can also get stiff in extreme cold and not seal properly. Higher end filters like the FRAM Ultra, WIX XP, K&N and others use silicone ADBV's that remain soft and flexible and do what they're supposed to do, which is keep oil in the filter after the engine is shut off.

I only use FRAM Ultra oil filters on my vehicles, would happily use a WIX XP if the Ultra wasn't available. They both use synthetic media that is less restrictive and provides better filtration than the cellulose media in the Mopar and other lower end filters. They both also have wire backing on the media for strength and of course the silicone ADBV. Unless someone just wants to stick with OEM parts I really don't see a reason to choose the Mopar filter over the much better alternatives.

Also, as a side note, the Mobil (no e) 1 oil is a very good product but it is not certified to meet Chrysler MS-6395, if that matters to you.
Your assumption that makes no sense how they would send out million of defected oil filter out to dealership for oil changes and what not .....but have you heard about that airbag recall? Sending millions of defected product for YEARS? It does happen. Just saying.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Your assumption that makes no sense how they would send out million of defected oil filter out to dealership for oil changes and what not .....but have you heard about that airbag recall? Sending millions of defected product for YEARS? It does happen. Just saying.
His statement was that all Mopar filters allow oil to drain out of the filter on shutdown according to "experienced" owners, which isn't true. If all Mopar oil filters are defective then every engine they're used on will have problems, and that has to be in the millions across the country.

I don't deny that millions of defective airbags were sent out, but for most owners the airbags are never used and they obviously have no effect on the day to day operation of the vehicle, unlike oil filters that are in use every time the engine is started.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
His statement was that all Mopar filters allow oil to drain out of the filter on shutdown according to "experienced" owners, which isn't true. If all Mopar oil filters are defective then every engine they're used on will have problems, and that has to be in the millions across the country.

I don't deny that millions of defective airbags were sent out, but for most owners the airbags are never used and they obviously have no effect on the day to day operation of the vehicle, unlike oil filters that are in use every time the engine is started.
Well, I've owned three 5.7 Hemi Rams and never had a problem with a tick on any of them and I've used Mopar filters almost exclusively with a total accumulative mileage of over 240,000 miles. My two sons have now switched back to Mopar filters and on one the 'tick' has disappeared. (I wonder, does this make me experienced?)

The contention you are addressing that "all Mopar oil filters allow oil to drain out of the filter on shutdown" doesn't make any sense on the surface. Would they incorporate an anti-drain back valve into a filter that they want the oil to drain out of intentionally? If the answer is 'no,' then the implication then is that they are "all" failing by hereditary defect. This just doesn't seem reasonable that the company would pay technicians to diagnose an engine tick at warranty rate when the simple and much less expensive fix would be to address an issue with the filter. Since some have complained about this since the 5.7 was introduced, I suspect if the issue was as simple as a defect in the oil filter, it would've been addressed by now.

And, oh, by the way, just as a technical clarification, oil will never drain out of the oil filter anyway. Drainback occurs from oil above the filter (Hemi motors) in the upper part of the engine from gravity, which is the reason for a drainback valve. Drainback oil might drain through the oil filter, but there will always be oil in the oil filter once the upper oil galleries are empty.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0406810 miles.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Well, I've owned three 5.7 Hemi Rams and never had a problem with a tick on any of them and I've used Mopar filters almost exclusively with a total accumulative mileage of over 240,000 miles. My two sons have now switched back to Mopar filters and on one the 'tick' has disappeared. (I wonder, does this make me experienced?)

The contention you are addressing that "all Mopar oil filters allow oil to drain out of the filter on shutdown" doesn't make any sense on the surface. Would they incorporate an anti-drain back valve into a filter that they want the oil to drain out of intentionally? If the answer is 'no,' then the implication then is that they are "all" failing by hereditary defect. This just doesn't seem reasonable that the company would pay technicians to diagnose an engine tick at warranty rate when the simple and much less expensive fix would be to address an issue with the filter. Since some have complained about this since the 5.7 was introduced, I suspect if the issue was as simple as a defect in the oil filter, it would've been addressed by now.

And, oh, by the way, just as a technical clarification, oil will never drain out of the oil filter anyway. Drainback occurs from oil above the filter (Hemi motors) in the upper part of the engine from gravity, which is the reason for a drainback valve. Drainback oil might drain through the oil filter, but there will always be oil in the oil filter once the upper oil galleries are empty.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0406810 miles.
I think you're agreeing with me.(?) And yes, I would say you're an extremely experienced owner and your experience over multiple vehicles is that the Mopar ADBV does exactly what it's designed to do.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think you're agreeing with me.(?) And yes, I would say you're an extremely experienced owner and your experience over multiple vehicles is that the Mopar ADBV does exactly what it's designed to do.
Yes, I am agreeing with you. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Since Mopar does make a few oil filters without an anti-drainback valve (2.2, 2.5 FWD cars) , it's possible somebody jumped to a conclusion that they are all absent the valve.

We are sometimes better served by skepticism when things are heard/read on the web.

Best regards,
Dusty

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
It’s been a really long week, the brain is a little fuzzy. And I agree about a bit of skepticism being useful, there’s so much misinformation out there about oil and filters it’s truly mind boggling.

tiny4321

Reaction score
I’m going through it now With my 2019 Big Horn. It only has 3400 miles on it and it has been at the dealer for 3 months with the “Hemi Tick”. They have changed many parts on the truck but it’s still there. Going through the arbitration process now gonna file it as a lemon. Check the lemon laws for your state.
Good luck I had a friend at the dealership. We had a Jeep Grand that likely would have qualified under the statute. But to the best of my recollection he said that the lemon case that they had had been going on for two plus years. His advice was to trade it which we did a few months later. That being said we trade often anyway so it was not like a major issue. 15 in 11 years of marriage. 10 for her and 5 for me.

Users who are viewing this thread