5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lifter noise seems louder or just now noticed?

jlanc20

Reaction score
I have had my 2019 Bighorn with the 5.7 for almost a year, it had about 12000 miles when i bought it and it has almost 21000 now. I dont know if I just never noticed before but these engines seem kind of too loud to me. When I am in a drive thru I can really hear the ticking sound echoing off the wall of the building. I occasionally get the loud tick on could start up but it goes away after a few second. I just really notice it in drive thrus and when walking around the truck at idle. It kind of sounds like a pinging sound at idle. Ive done research and get mixed answers. I have a trip coming up from Pa to Sc coming up and was wondering if this id something I should being up to the dealer? Im running 89 octane all the time.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my 2019 Bighorn with the 5.7 for almost a year, it had about 12000 miles when i bought it and it has almost 21000 now. I dont know if I just never noticed before but these engines seem kind of too loud to me. When I am in a drive thru I can really hear the ticking sound echoing off the wall of the building. I occasionally get the loud tick on could start up but it goes away after a few second. I just really notice it in drive thrus and when walking around the truck at idle. It kind of sounds like a pinging sound at idle. Ive done research and get mixed answers. I have a trip coming up from Pa to Sc coming up and was wondering if this id something I should being up to the dealer? Im running 89 octane all the time.
My truck does the same. It doesn't matter if I'm running 87 or 93. I have been trying to determine if its lifters or if its an exhaust leak.

jlanc20

Reaction score
My truck does the same. It doesn't matter if I'm running 87 or 93. I have been trying to determine if its lifters or if its an exhaust leak.
I hear they are a pretty loud engine i guess. This is my first hemi. Mine runs great, no issues whatsoever I was just curious if others were the same lol

Nickjansen

Reaction score
Mine has the same thing. Especially on startup.. sometimes I think the best word to describe the sound is almost like a squeel on startup and the guages are turning on ( like early in the engine turnover ) and when near a drive through it almost sounds like its chugging. ''chug chug chug chug'' every other second. I havent given it much thought as I thought this does not sound like knocking and I used nothing but the highest octane fuel at any pump I visit. I think it has a possibility of being an exhaust leak as I once had my exhaust taken off and put back on. But it is so hard to tell if it is knocking of just chugging along like a healthy kitty purring

jlanc20

Reaction score
Mine has the same thing. Especially on startup.. sometimes I think the best word to describe the sound is almost like a squeel on startup and the guages are turning on ( like early in the engine turnover ) and when near a drive through it almost sounds like its chugging. ''chug chug chug chug'' every other second. I havent given it much thought as I thought this does not sound like knocking and I used nothing but the highest octane fuel at any pump I visit. I think it has a possibility of being an exhaust leak as I once had my exhaust taken off and put back on. But it is so hard to tell if it is knocking of just chugging along like a healthy kitty purring
The chugging might be the mds kicking in? Im not sure mine is just at idle i dont know if its just the injectors buts just a light constant tick, i havent had much time to investigate it further

Boston

Reaction score
Make sure oil level is good. It’s uncanny but any time I think an engine sounds louder than normal, it’s used some oil.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had lifter noise. Took months to get fixed(hear it). Around 15k- just hit 18k and just about back to making same noise in same area of engine. Which slowly started to make noise again after 800-1k About given up on it. Block oiling issue, another bad lifter in the same spot? Idk

plawislaw

Reaction score
My prior Ram 5.7 (2011) made a slight ticking/lifter noise its whole life. Dealer rebuilt the top end at 30,000 miles because of it, however, there was no real reason too. I think i was one of the first customers to complain about it. It was quiet for maybe 10,000 miles and came back. Eventually i was told it was just how the motor sounds. Never had an actual mechanical issue with it and the truck gave me 200,000 miles before i sold it. As the truck aged and began burning oil between changes, i noticed the noise would get louder if i needed to top off my oil level. My new Ram 5.7 (2019, 5000 miles) makes a similar noise, although its significantly more quiet. Could be because its brand new. For my particular issue, it seemed to be a noise brought on after break-in of the motor. Again, no actual issues related to it.

RamLink83

Reaction score
My truck also seems like it has tick and it's most noticable when the MDS kicks in. Seen several posts where they say it's a normal sound. Who knows. I guess I'll mention it to my dealer when I go for my first oil change and see what they say.

Users who are viewing this thread