5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift/tires question

Joemussy

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
New member and ram owner. My first ram. I have a big horn with the 5.7 I’m coming from a Gladiator. I had an AEV lift on it, 315s, EVO Corse wheels, aluminum bumper etc. it had 3.77 gears. It was a dog lol. Struggle to hit 70-75mph. My question is how does the ride quality differ when you lift a ram? Is it still capable of highway speeds? Are you fighting the bumps in the road? I’m debating just doing a leveling kit in the front with 33s and going down to 18s. I’ll keep the 20s if need be though.
I appreciate anyone’s input and I’m sure this has probably been asked before so I apologize.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mostly will depend on budget and lift you're looking to go. Along with tire size and gearing you have. 3.21. 3.92?

Many w/ 3.21 limit to 35's, but some do run 37's with proper lift. The 5th Gen transmission gearing is different from 4th Gen.

I'm going with BDS 3" w/ FOX 2.5 adjustable and 285/65R20 34.6X11.2 because of having 3.21. plus I don't want a full 35X12.5

Joemussy

Reaction score
Yea I have 3.21 gearing. My fear is that it’ll turn into a dog on the highway lol. I do occasional camping trips. I’ve got a rooftop tent that I use. I just want to be able to maintain the ride quality as best as possible. I think a solid leveling kit and 33s might suffice.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On 33's the 3.21 gears won't have any issues. Guys really don't see issues until moving to 37's. I have basically 35's (295/70R18's) on the 3.92's and I didn't notice any difference from 33's. Bigger sidewall and bigger tires will usually be smoother unless you're moving from P to E rated tires. Then you'll notice it being more stiff. I've been on E tires for over 10 years now, so I can't remember what P tires felt like on a truck.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I have 3.21 gearing. My fear is that it’ll turn into a dog on the highway lol. I do occasional camping trips. I’ve got a rooftop tent that I use. I just want to be able to maintain the ride quality as best as possible. I think a solid leveling kit and 33s might suffice.
Make sure to use Leveling struts only, not garbage spacers. Bilstein, Eibach, Fox or RC M1.

Rambilt

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I use rough country leveling struts and rough country rear shocks then replaced my tires with 35s. I also added airlift airbags because I pull a small travel trailer. I love my setup even though I did it in a cheap kind of way. I love the way my truck handles, my speedometer is spot on after changing the tire size using Alfaobd with a bypass cable. Good luck to your project!

v/r

Rick

Choate

Reaction score
It’ll be fine on 35s. Not fast by any means but my truck would hit 110 easily but I don’t try. Driving 80mph on the highway is no problem except it will want to shift into 7th a lot w 3.21

Users who are viewing this thread