5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift Links & Daystar - Air Ride post-install Help Needed

coffeyman76

Reaction score
Hey gang. On Saturday I had the DIY level links (front only) and Daystar spacers installed. Of course I picked the truck up right at closing time when they finished. At first glance the truck looked pretty leveled as I had indicated I was fine with up to 1/2 inch between front and rear. Truck drove like a dream as noted in my "what did you do today" post. I did not measure but at least visually and in the rain it was "close enough". Due to other obligations barely got to touch the vehicle this weekend but did lower to entry exit once to help move a few things for a friend.

Monday morning I walk out and immediately notice the truck looks like it is sitting back in a forward stance. Measured in every setting and every one sat 1.5 inches higher in the rear. Fiddled with settings, drove for a while and it stayed there. So basically back to stock. WTF? (Actually entry exit was closer, more like an inch). Immediately I seemed to notice a significant loss of ride quality. Felt very bouncy and almost like you could feel every crack in the road. Hard to describe, but not the unreal softness and comfort of the truck pre-mod. Bigger holes/dips that in the past I swept over without second thought definitely garnered my attention.

Returned to the shop and we discussed, even went on the forums together to look over details. They removed the links and shortened them from ~2.5 to 2.25 inches (which is what I had said they should be to start). Now the truck seems to sit at around 0.5 inches higher in the rear in normal mode which is what I was after. 38.5 front and 39 rear. Actually maybe 5/8 (38.4 to 39.1 ish). But the ride quality still seems way off, it just isn't the same. The truck adjusts to the different height settings with no issue. There are no codes.

While the shop indicated they had done these trucks before, several comments really concerned me and the reason I am seeking help.

1. This morning they removed just one side link, adjusted it shorter and re-installed. Upon restart the front continued to maintain level (left to right), or so I was told. Based on my reading and the Revel instructions you can use these links to adjust side to side balance as well as level front to rear, no? Why would the front then hold itself to the same height when one link was adjusted and the other was not?

2. More importantly they indicated that if I jack the truck make sure I put it in jack mode. They "didn't realize this" and when they lowered the vehicle off the jacks from the Saturday work they said the truck dropped itself and they had to adjust the settings. Of course I already knew this and included a page that specifically said lower to entry exit, set to jack mode, disconnect battery before starting work. Doesn't sound like that happened. Did they push too much nitro out of the system? It's fairly clear they had not done a Ram air ride system at this point.

3. I measured the truck at 4 or 5 different places and times. At least 2 of those measurements had the truck measuring up to 1/2 inch different at the front and/or rear. So 4 different measurements. On at least 2 occassions it was ever bit of 2 inches between front and rear. So basically all over the damn place. I chalked that up to differing locations but I felt like I was pretty flat and level each different place.

So based on nearly 100% of the folks saying that the Daystar+links doesn't change the ride is there something else that would cause this issue?

I'd really like to try and figure this out without returning it to stock and starting over. I've got 305/45R22's coming in tomorrow but frankly I'm reluctant to put them on without figuring this issue out because I'm not willing to sacrifice that much ride quality.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Reactions: A10

coffeyman76

Reaction score
Based on this post I am going to have the dealer recharge and re calibrate the nitro system now that everything is installed. I've got the wind noise warranty and a loose trim piece it is going in for anyways, so they can do it then.

coffeyman76

Reaction score
As an update took the truck in today to get new rubber and little fiddling and cutting New Link bolts them reinstalling links and the truck is back to normal I can't explain it and they can't really either. A touch over 0.5 inches higher in the rear all levels work fine ride quality seems back. Might fiddle with putting in rear and lowering just a touch but the difference is not really perceivable especially with the new Ridge Grappler stealing the show.

I'm still going to see what the dealer will charge to do a recalibrate and recharge just to make sure the system didn't pull in a bunch of Air or something. But right now I'm a happy camper again. Crisis averted.

Just wish I knew how....

bdwebb2

Reaction score
As an update took the truck in today to get new rubber and little fiddling and cutting New Link bolts them reinstalling links and the truck is back to normal I can't explain it and they can't really either. A touch over 0.5 inches higher in the rear all levels work fine ride quality seems back. Might fiddle with putting in rear and lowering just a touch but the difference is not really perceivable especially with the new Ridge Grappler stealing the show.

I'm still going to see what the dealer will charge to do a recalibrate and recharge just to make sure the system didn't pull in a bunch of Air or something. But right now I'm a happy camper again. Crisis averted.

Just wish I knew how....
I know I’m bumping an older inactive thread here, but I’m curious if you ever got around to getting a quote from your dealer for a recalibration/recharging of the air suspension system?

Users who are viewing this thread