5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift / Levelling Kit

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spacers limit up travel, but don't down travel. That is why UCA's are highly recommended because of popping ball joints. Look at the many 4th Gen that had the issues as proof. Leveling struts don't limit up travel, but DO limit down travel. 4Th Gen lift kits didn't include UCA's because they were done right with Bilstein struts. Mopar got cheap because people get cheap when comes to suspension. Also Mopar doesn't warranty the lift. Anything with a P in the part# is not under warranty. Dealerships might claim it.

Edit: 2019 change, but you need to buy the lift kit coverage now it looks like

1711027106290.png

Ready Go

Reaction score
Just playing devils advocate here, but if spacers weren’t safe (on road use only), why would Mopar sell and even warranty a spacer lift? The 2” Mopar lift uses spacers. I don’t use spacers because they don’t work well with how I use my truck. But for someone that never goes off road or puts any real stress on their truck, maybe the spacer application is correct for their use? I do agree that spacers should not be used for off road applications, etc.
I think @boogielander is mainly referring to Front spacers not being the safest or ideal way to go.

Rear spacers don't create the same geometry issues with the Rear shocks that Front spacers cause with the Front struts (ball joints, coil bind, interference, etc).

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@CHeYeNNe71
I did not know about the product numbers and warranty info. Thanks for that clarification. It makes sense.

@Ready Go
I do agree with @boogielander and heeded his advice about staying away from spacers when I was researching my build. I am just trying to see all sides of the coin and you guys helped me for sure. Keep the knowledge coming!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just playing devils advocate here, but if spacers weren’t safe (on road use only), why would Mopar sell and even warranty a spacer lift? The 2” Mopar lift uses spacers. I don’t use spacers because they don’t work well with how I use my truck. But for someone that never goes off road or puts any real stress on their truck, maybe the spacer application is correct for their use? I do agree that spacers should not be used for off road applications, etc.
all i can say is if there's a demand for it then there is supply.
even if OE supplies it doesn't mean it's correct though... sometimes OEs offer some questionable products that will only come back to bite the user after warranty expires.
for instance... the Ford Ecoboost engine or the Ford DCT found on Focuses and other cars.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think @boogielander is mainly referring to Front spacers not being the safest or ideal way to go.

Rear spacers don't create the same geometry issues with the Rear shocks that Front spacers cause with the Front struts (ball joints, coil bind, interference, etc).
correct.
Rear spacers don't cause problems because rear is a solid axle type of suspension, where the shock and springs are separated and does not bind into anything.
Spacers are OK for solid axle use on road, but I still don't recommend it because the spring rate is incorrect.

in my customers' applications, they want spacers because of sag due to constant load that create sag. Using spacers can eliminate that sag, BUT negatively affect the ride due to wrong spring rates that are not able to handle the weight (springs are now compressed, even at ride height). It is always recommended to change to the correct spring rates to get the lift height back while retaining or even improve ride quality and handling. The only time that we use spacers for the rear (for IFS + Solid Rear) applications is when the constant load is higher than the heaviest (spring rate) available springs (think: drawer system, fridge, rear bumper with swing outs, spare tire, roof tent, tools, equipments, etc for overlanding SUV builds).

That's why even though I want to gain another inch or so to match TRX's stance, I had to scratch that plan. I could crank my preload up for another inch (since I'm at Fox's factory setting of 2" and the shock package is good for 2-3" lift), but that will sacrifice my droop and actually take away suspension travel. For the rear (since I'm already pushing the 500lb constant load limit for my Carli HD springs - I probably exceeded it by 50 or so lb already just with my weekend camping gear only), I could really benefit from using heavier rated springs or add spacers to gain another inch, but I decided against it because that means I'm sacrificing rear ride quality, control, and performance for an additional inch just for aesthetic. And that... makes no sense to me at all.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
without trying to hijack someone else’s tread, but there seems to be a lot of good information on here….but what would the recommendation be for a 2 inch lift kit that would not deteriorate/maybe even make better the factory ride ? 99% road/highway…

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
without trying to hijack someone else’s tread, but there seems to be a lot of good information on here….but what would the recommendation be for a 2 inch lift kit that would not deteriorate/maybe even make better the factory ride ? 99% road/highway…
They’re gonna say anything but spacers

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
bilstein 5100 is gonna be the bare minimum. no RC, no spacers, no falcons, no readylift, no zone, no nothing of that sort.

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
Agreed with the no spacers etc…. Was looking at Icon and similar systems, not as much worried about that kind of money, but that kind of system seems to be more for off road applications, logically so…. I am trying to make this thing ride like a Cadillac with a 2 inch lift …. Switch to 18 inch rebel wheels helped with that….

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed with the no spacers etc…. Was looking at Icon and similar systems, not as much worried about that kind of money, but that kind of system seems to be more for off road applications, logically so…. I am trying to make this thing ride like a Cadillac with a 2 inch lift …. Switch to 18 inch rebel wheels helped with that….
Look at Fox 2.0 Coilovers and rear shocks for what you want, or the Fox 2.5 if no budget. :cool:

OR Grab the BDS 3" w/ FOX 2.5 and throw some 35's on it. That's the route I'm going.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i'd stay away from icons too...
least reliable compared to King or Fox 2.5 based systems. they are so bad that we no longer carry them. if customers want them they need to source their own and we offer no warranty on those. leaks, leaks and leaks! oh and billet ucas and pintops shear, shear, and shear!

Ramhighflyer

Reaction score
i'd stay away from icons too...
least reliable compared to King or Fox 2.5 based systems. they are so bad that we no longer carry them. if customers want them they need to source their own and we offer no warranty on those. leaks, leaks and leaks! oh and billet ucas and pintops shear, shear, and shear!
Thanks for that advice… will look into fox 2.0 or 2.5……

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for that advice… will look into fox 2.0 or 2.5……
to be fair, I run fox 2.5 ext with Carli components. With my on-pavement setting, on road it's a bit harder than stock, not plushy, but at the same time, offers me great handling. I can take curves without feeling like i'm driving a boat while eat up road imperfections like it's nothing and body lean is reduced to minimal. With my offroad settings, I can take trails and eat small to medium sized whoops going 50+ and not feel bad.

If you want something that's off the shelf as a package and can handle occasional offroading without breaking your bank, look at this one:

Suiko7

Reaction score
to be fair, I run fox 2.5 ext with Carli components. With my on-pavement setting, on road it's a bit harder than stock, not plushy, but at the same time, offers me great handling. I can take curves without feeling like i'm driving a boat while eat up road imperfections like it's nothing and body lean is reduced to minimal. With my offroad settings, I can take trails and eat small to medium sized whoops going 50+ and not feel bad.

If you want something that's off the shelf as a package and can handle occasional offroading without breaking your bank, look at this one:
Any recommendations that are 2wd friendly?I have a 2022 Laramie and want to level it

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any recommendations that are 2wd friendly?I have a 2022 Laramie and want to level it
theoraticaly all kits should be the same, 2wd or 4wd. I don't see anything that fits on 4wd wouldn't fit on 2wd. Only difference between the two is 2wd doesn't have CV axle in the front.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread