5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift/Level Options

ajkeence99

Reaction score
I'm sure much of it is personal opinion but I'm guessing there are functional differences that make one option better than the next. I am interested in leveling my new 2020 1500 Big Horn. I'd like it to be relatively user friendly so that I can do the work myself. Which option is the best out of the Bilstein 5100s, Motofab 2" level kit, or the Mopar 2" level kit and why? I'm assuming the 2" Motofab is generally the least desirable, from a functional standpoint, but probably the cheapest and easiest to do.

I've never modified suspension on any vehicle I've owned so this would be my first time and I just want to make sure I'm not cutting corners that will come back to bite me in the ***. Thanks!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Motofab leveling kit would be easy to do yourself compared to the rest.

I'm not sure what Mopar leveling kit you are talking about unless you are planning on getting the 2" lift kit (Fox shocks) and not installing the rear components.

Both the Bilstein and and Mopar kits will require a spring compressor to swap out the shocks.

Each one has its benefits (cost, ride, performance, etc.). If you plan to off-road then that might narrow your selection down. All of them are for sale because there is a market for each of those methods.

Others will chime in as I have no experience with them. I'm not one to point to the search function but in this case it is the way to go. There are several threads (dating back to when the DT first came out) with great info with explanations, experiences, and updates. Lots of great write-ups and first-hand feedback on them that would be hard to sum up here.

Ultimately it will come down to your desires and budget.

ajkeence99

Reaction score
The Motofab leveling kit would be easy to do yourself compared to the rest.

I'm not sure what Mopar leveling kit you are talking about unless you are planning on getting the 2" lift kit (Fox shocks) and not installing the rear components.

Both the Bilstein and and Mopar kits will require a spring compressor to swap out the shocks.

Each one has its benefits (cost, ride, performance, etc.). If you plan to off-road then that might narrow your selection down. All of them are for sale because there is a market for each of those methods.

Others will chime in as I have no experience with them. I'm not one to point to the search function but in this case it is the way to go. There are several threads (dating back to when the DT first came out) with great info with explanations, experiences, and updates. Lots of great write-ups and first-hand feedback on them that would be hard to sum up here.

Ultimately it will come down to your desires and budget.

I've read through a bunch but sometimes too much information creates new questions so I was just trying to centralize a conversation around a comparison. I don't see myself really doing probably any true off-road driving. I have a truck for space and the ability to haul things but I'm never going to go mudding or into terrain much tougher than to pull a deer out of the woods, perhaps. I've been leaning towards just doing to Motofab spacers, I think 2" is a true level. I may do a full lift in the future so I'm probably best off just doing the spacers to level the front and be done for the time being.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I fully expect to get the "use the search" responses but I've read quite a bit on here. It's just a foreign topic to me so it's sometimes easier to get direct answers to what I'm thinking. That's possibly a wiring in my brain thing :)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never done a lift/level before either. I Google-d the different types to learn about what are the pros and cons of each. Once you decide on how you want to lift/level your truck then you can figure out who's product you want to use. There's plenty of reviews out there to be had that you won't find here not matter how may people reply.

There are 3 ways to level our truck from what I understand:

1. Strut spacer - goes on top of the strut between the strut and truck mount.
2. Coil spring spacer - goes on the spring seat. This requires you to disassemble the strut to install. You might also need a longer shock too.
3. New shocks - replaces your current shock absorbers and the lower spring seat is higher. It might be one permanent setting or could be adjustable with several options to set the lower spring seat for different heights. This also requires you to disassemble your strut.

At the end of the day you will read about people who liked and disliked the same product for their own personal reasons. Looks, ride quality, price, and ease of installation are all factors that people weigh differently.

Hopefully others will chime in to help you out. Best of luck in the hunt. (y)

ScottChurch

Reaction score
Installing the motofab level would be the easiest to do out of all of the options that you listed above. I went with the motofab level in the front, combined with the ORP springs to give me 3.5” of lift in the front and then I did a motofab 2” in the rear.

I think you would be ok with any of the options you listed, it just comes down to preference.

TJ1789

Reaction score
Former F150 owner here and this is from an F150 forum. I figured I need to cite it due to any copyright issues lol. It think it’s breaks down all your options pretty accurately.

This was written by member ProZach.

I decided to start making a few FAQ threads. So here we go with a brief introduction and explanation of leveling (kits).

Intro: Leveling kits are specifically designed to improve the stance of your vehicle so that it appears (in a way) level. The four kinds are adjustable shocks, spacers, coils, and torsion keys.

Adjustable Shocks: These leveling kits are manufactured by bilstein and rancho. Bilstein is the most popular (and expensive) kit and rancho follows closely behind it. For the f150 many have complained of a swaying or loose ride with the ranchos while others have had no problems. Bilstein is said to offer a stiffer or firmer ride that most users are satisfied with. These kits work by adjusting the coil spring seat to a higher position on the shock which causes it to push harder back on the truck suspension as a spacer would and thus levels the front of the truck. One downside to both of these manufacturers is that rancho only offers 2” of level and bilstein only offers 2.25” of level. However you can adjust the shocks to different intervals from 0” to their max setting and no you can’t adjust the ride height once the kit is installed. The upside to these kits is that the suspension does not loose as much travel as a typical spacer so you won’t ride on bump stops as quickly or have other suspension problems as quickly as a spacer. You will need a spring compressor for either of these kits and it better be a strong one.

Spacers: The kits will vary from 1” 1.5” 2” and 3”, with many manufacturers across the board. The kits are made of different substances (iron or polyurethane) and have different things that each supposedly does, most is speculation with small amounts of evidence here and there. Basically daystar, who makes the polyurethane kit says that less metal on metal contact will help reduce wear and tear and offer a smoother ride, sadly these kits have been known to occasionally compress and not off as much as a level as an iron/steel kit. The iron/steel kit manufacturers boast that their kit will not compress and is usually made of some superior metal that again is supposed to help reduce wear. These kits (most of them) will cause rub of the upper control arm on the coil over spring, it’s nothing to worry about but you should keep an eye on it. You won’t need a spring compressor for this leveling kit, you just remove the entire strut assembly and attach it to the top of the assembly and reattach it to the vehicle. Also it is advised with most spacers that after every 3,000 miles or every time you off road to re-torque all the nuts involved with the kit.

Coil spacers: Coil spacers are another type of leveling kit that work similarly to strut extensions (or spacers). The main difference is the location of the apparatus. Strut spacers will attach to the top of the strut mount where coil spacer leveling kits will be placed directly on top of the coil spring buckets this will require you to use a spring compressor and the job will become much more difficult that going the way of a spacer. One other downside is that some people have complained of a stiffer ride.

Cranking Torsion Bars/Torsion Keys: These are one and the same. Torsion bars are another kind of suspension system. Basically they absorb impact. Many people will crank the nuts on these bars in order to increase the ride height of their vehicle. The same concept is applied with the keys only it’s a little safer than simply cranking the stock torsion keys. Aftermarket torsion keys have different dimensions and thickness in order to help the torsion bars compensate for the added torsion. Downsides to this way of leveling are that the bars can be over cranked and if this happens the ride can become very uncomfortable or even worse, the bars can break. To read all about torsion bars click on this link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_bar_suspension

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
From experience lifting my Wrangler, upgrading springs and shocks beat spacers for anything over a 2" lift. Also, you get what you pay for in terms of ride / handling quality in aftermarket shocks and springs. Don't cheap-out after spending $$$ on your truck.

Lastly, if you go with larger tires your ride quality will never be as good as stock, so be prepared. The physics of increasing unsprung mass gets you every time.

1599763415709.png . 1599763637711.png

Users who are viewing this thread