5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift, Lane Sense and Surround View

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I am guessing the answer is no but since I have gotten the lift kit I have noticed two quirks that I am wondering if they can be remedied. Lanes sense still works but doesn’t seem to work as well. Meaning it does not appear to “detect” the lanes as easily as it did prior to the lift. I assume this is because the camera is angled higher.

On the surround cameras the “stitching appears to be off leading to a more “deformed” picture of the surround of the car where objects just don’t match up between the front/rear and the sides.

Neither of these issues would ever cause me to want to remove my lift but throwing it out there to see if others are having the same issue and possibly there could be some adjustments that could be done. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
Bumping this to the top. Anyone out there with a lift and the Advanced Safety group experiencing this and any adjustments that can be made?

grinch72

Reaction score
I am guessing the answer is no but since I have gotten the lift kit I have noticed two quirks that I am wondering if they can be remedied. Lanes sense still works but doesn’t seem to work as well. Meaning it does not appear to “detect” the lanes as easily as it did prior to the lift. I assume this is because the camera is angled higher.

On the surround cameras the “stitching appears to be off leading to a more “deformed” picture of the surround of the car where objects just don’t match up between the front/rear and the sides.

Neither of these issues would ever cause me to want to remove my lift but throwing it out there to see if others are having the same issue and possibly there could be some adjustments that could be done. Thanks in advance.

I have a weird stiching issue with my front camera and have no lift. Adjust the air suspension lower seems to help a bit. I think it is just the angle of the camera lens and most likely not correctable. I would assume the higher you go the worse it is. When I am at OR2 my front camera is off the worse.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
One more trip to the top. I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to see if any adjustments can be made. Again I would rather have the lift than the lane sense but having had it for 6 months prior on my previous truck it’s pretty annoying that it doesn’t work as well now. I am hoping but not hopeful it can be adjusted.

The main feature that I cared about was ACC and that seems to be functioning normally but I don’t think it relies on the cameras.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I have calls out to 5 different dealerships this morning waiting for a definitive answer and pricing. So far on the initial calls I have received answers like “You’ll have to get your cameras readjusted” all the way to “I don’t think it’s possible”. Will report back with any info I get.

glennf14

Reaction score
thanks for investigating this, I'm sure it will help a lot of folks out to know if dealers are able to readjust/recalibrate the cameras

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
So first dealership called back and said that they won’t know what kind of adjustment it needs until I take it in. They said there are two kinds. A learned driving adjustment where they hook up a pod ( his words) and drive it around to recalibrate or a more in depth one where they hook up a bunch of sensors. First one they said would be about $130 bucks and the second one would take half a day and about $350.

Waiting to see what other dealers say.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
A follow up. My Power Steps, Trailer Brake and Rear Bed Step came in so I needed to take it to the dealer. Among installing those and a few TSB’s I asked them to take a look at the Lane Sense since it wasn’t working like it used to and they put on the lift.

So after having it an extra day and then putting over 80 miles on my truck they tell me I can come pick it up. I go there and the service manager tells me that he tried to correct the Lane Sense but somehow in doing so the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW) have stopped working. They suspect a bad module and have ordered it (it worked fine prior) and that will take a week. Once the part comes in I will need to drop it off and they need it for a week so they can train it ( drive it repeatedly...more miles ).

She told me he downloaded a program to it and that it may be in learning mode now and may start working again all of a sudden. Not holding my breath.

So I ask again, has anyone with a lift had issues with LaneSense or ACC and more importantly had them corrected by a dealer?

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My lane assist will give me a message to h hands on the wheel when I'm driving dead center down the lane. Then it shuts off. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
My lane assist will give me a message to h hands on the wheel when I'm driving dead center down the lane. Then it shuts off. I haven't quite figured it out yet.

Although I feel it’s a little sensitive to how quickly it wants to turn off that is normal operation. When the message pops up you have to give it a little nudge to let it know you are still there. Driving here in AZ we have a lot of very straight roads and it happened to me all the time when it worked properly.

Chris

Reaction score
ACC uses sensors (ultrasonic?) in the windshield (the box behind your mirror) that look forward instead of at the ground, and likely why they are less affected by the lift. Forward collision, front and rear parking, and lanesense use sensors (not the surround cameras) in/around the bumpers that look at both the ground and the nearby area around the vehicle, and thus are particularly sensitive.

I believe both the Rebel 12 with it's 2 inch lift and the off road package with 1" lift can get lanesense and ACC, so the sensors must be able to accommodate some variation.

As far as the surround camera, I do not know if you can get that with the off road package. If so though, then those must also allow for some adjustment. Camera views only affect what you see though, so all 4 surround cameras can be blocked and the safety tech and ACC should be completely unaffected; the sensors can also "see" through most simple things like road salt and need to be caked with something like mud to block them, so they can keep working even if you don't clean the truck weekly.

I would focus on the sensors, since I think those are the easiest to correct, and then only look into the surround view after since that is just a nuisance and not a safety/feature breaking issue.

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
ACC uses sensors (ultrasonic?) in the windshield (the box behind your mirror) that look forward instead of at the ground, and likely why they are less affected by the lift. Forward collision, front and rear parking, and lanesense use sensors (not the surround cameras) in/around the bumpers that look at both the ground and the nearby area around the vehicle, and thus are particularly sensitive.

I believe both the Rebel 12 with it's 2 inch lift and the off road package with 1" lift can get lanesense and ACC, so the sensors must be able to accommodate some variation.

As far as the surround camera, I do not know if you can get that with the off road package. If so though, then those must also allow for some adjustment. Camera views only affect what you see though, so all 4 surround cameras can be blocked and the safety tech and ACC should be completely unaffected; the sensors can also "see" through most simple things like road salt and need to be caked with something like mud to block them, so they can keep working even if you don't clean the truck weekly.

I would focus on the sensors, since I think those are the easiest to correct, and then only look into the surround view after since that is just a nuisance and not a safety/feature breaking issue.

I think you mixed up Lane Sense and ACC. Adaptive cruise control uses the sensors and Lane Sense uses the camera behind the mirror. I had a Limited with Lane Sense prior to this truck so I became used to how it worked. I only had my current truck for about a week before the lift went on but in the time I had it it worked very similar. After the lift it is noticeably less effective at detecting the lanes. I think the tech did try to adjust something there because he had the mirror and cover off when I was at the shop retrieving some things from the vehicle. But now LaneSense is no more effective than it was before and now my ACC and FCW are completely inoperable.

You are correct that you can get the ACC on vehicles with the ORP but I don’t think you can get it on the Rebel yet ( at least last time I checked).

I think the difference is with the ReadyLift and Tires my front end went up about 4 1/2 inches and the back about 3 inches. I just can’t get a definitive answer and at this point I don’t have a lot of confidence that the dealer knows either.

Chris

Reaction score
I think you mixed up Lane Sense and ACC. Adaptive cruise control uses the sensors and Lane Sense uses the camera behind the mirror. I had a Limited with Lane Sense prior to this truck so I became used to how it worked. I only had my current truck for about a week before the lift went on but in the time I had it it worked very similar. After the lift it is noticeably less effective at detecting the lanes. I think the tech did try to adjust something there because he had the mirror and cover off when I was at the shop retrieving some things from the vehicle. But now LaneSense is no more effective than it was before and now my ACC and FCW are completely inoperable.

You are correct that you can get the ACC on vehicles with the ORP but I don’t think you can get it on the Rebel yet ( at least last time I checked).

I think the difference is with the ReadyLift and Tires my front end went up about 4 1/2 inches and the back about 3 inches. I just can’t get a definitive answer and at this point I don’t have a lot of confidence that the dealer knows either.

I just checked, and the builder website allows lanesense with the tow mirrors. The tow mirrors do not have cameras, and does not allow surround view.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I’m wondering if you ever figured anything out with the surroundview being skewed after your lift? Mine is off after leveling my limited. My lane sense seems to be working the same. I use my surroundview almost daily so if I can fix it that would be great

Dmalonecentral

Reaction score
I’m wondering if you ever figured anything out with the surroundview being skewed after your lift? Mine is off after leveling my limited. My lane sense seems to be working the same. I use my surroundview almost daily so if I can fix it that would be great

I never did. It’s not off a whole lot so aside from asking the dealer I never really seeked it out.

Users who are viewing this thread