5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift kit help

cubb99

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 2020 1500 Bighorn and have already ordered a 6in lift kit from Rough Country with wheels and tires. I also ordered the 2 in Vertex Coilovers for the front and 2 inch Vertex adjustable shocks in the back.

My questions are…
1. Was i supposed to buy the 6 in Vertex adjustable shocks for the back instead of the 2 in and same thing for the coilovers? Or does it not matter since i have the 6in lift kit cling as well.

2. Do i need new upper control arms for this build? If so any recommendations would be amazing.

Love reading the posts here and and stoked wity my new Ram!!

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes you want the 6" so you don't need to use the spacers that come for the front and the shocks will be too short and not useable. I see they have dual rate coils now. RC stepping up their game!!

I would stick with the RC UCA.

I would see if you can change order from regular 6" to the one that comes with the Vertex as a kit.

Last edited:

cubb99

Reaction score
Yes you want the 6" so you don't need to use the spacers that come for the front and the shocks will be too short and not useable. I see they have dual rate coils now. RC stepping up their game!!

I would stick with the RC UCA.

I would see if you can change order from regular 6" to the one that comes with the Vertex as a kit.
just got the email that they are out for delivery already so i'll have to return them. So you're saying that instead of the Vertex 2in Adjustable Shocks i should have gotten the 6-7.5 inch version which is the same price?

Will the Coilovers be ok or do i need to change those out for the 6in ones as well? There is only one option for the coilovers for a RWD truck so that is what i went with.

Also the Vertex lift kit said it was for 4WD so i didn't do that.

Attachments

• IMG_3029.png
    IMG_3029.png
    144.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3028.png
    IMG_3028.png
    137.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3027.png
    IMG_3027.png
    175.9 KB · Views: 9

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2WD is almost the same as 4WD, but not dropping the differential. Just the crossmember with taller knuckles.

I would of grabbed the 4WD with rear dual rate coils and do Vertex all 4 corners. Unless there is something I'm not thinking about, besides the extra brackets for diff drop in 4WD kit.

I would send the Vertex back and get the 6" version. I would also see about buying the rear coils and throw the spacers away.

cubb99

Reaction score
So are you saying send everything back including the lift kit and order the 4WD package of the lift kit and vertex coils and shocks all together?

Sorry I just don’t know much about all this

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, but that will also depend on cost to send back if you're able to. I would call the place you bought from and see what they tell you is the best route to take.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say, if you can send back the Vertex for the 6" and buy the rear 6" coils, that might be the most cost effective way.

cubb99

Reaction score
I will say, if you can send back the Vertex for the 6" and buy the rear 6" coils, that might be the most cost effective way.
Update after talking with Rough Country. I can return the Rear adjustable shocks for the correct 6in version but they said that the Coilovers I ordered will not work with a 2WD truck and they don't make any that are 2WD compatible.

So now the question is who sells Coilovers for a 6in lift kit that will fit on a 2WD truck. Man i feel like an idiot lol.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did they say why they won't work? The 2WD has struts the same as 4WD, unless I'm missing something. Maybe someone will chime in.

cubb99

Reaction score
Did they say why they won't work? The 2WD has struts the same as 4WD, unless I'm missing something. Maybe someone will chime in.
If im not mistaken he said that the 4wd version would throw of the geometry down there. Again i really have no clue as this is my first lift and it is proving to be a bit more difficult especially with 2WD....

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's interesting, especially since the Vertex are adjustable......

Hopefully someone else will chime in, because I'm lost with that explanation.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

cubb99

Reaction score
Interesting.... The guy who responded saying they'll work linked a fabtech lift that was specific to 2WD...? Or was i confused? And I need to know if the Rough Country specific Vertex coil overs that are 4WD specific on their site will work.

Have talked to RC and local installers today and they said its possible but it's also a bit of a risk. Seems they think that the front will be lifted an inch or so to high causing strain on ball joints and other parts that I as a novice am unaware of.

For 2400$ I want to be absolutely 110% sure that they will not only work with the 6 in lift i bought but that they will not cause undo stress on any other components. And I haven't quite gotten a 100% confident answer yet.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They're probably thinking the 1" because you won't have the added weight from front differential. The longer knuckle keeps geometry correct, so that 1" wouldn't cause any issues as far as that goes, since people level the front 1-3". Plus you don't have to worry about CV angles. Worse case would be to adjust the vertex down slightly. That I could see being the only issue, but would think they can be adjusted down some.

I would keep researching and maybe check RAM FB pages as well. If it was me, I wouldn't have an issue grabbing 4WD kit, but I do understand

cubb99

Reaction score
They're probably thinking the 1" because you won't have the added weight from front differential. The longer knuckle keeps geometry correct, so that 1" wouldn't cause any issues as far as that goes, since people level the front 1-3". Plus you don't have to worry about CV angles. Worse case would be to adjust the vertex down slightly. That I could see being the only issue, but would think they can be adjusted down some.
One guy did mention that since mine is a Hemi the weight should not be off too bad. Do you have experience installing 4wd kits on 2wd trucks at all? You seem very knowledgeable and very helpful which i'm extremely grateful for because today has been very confusing trying to figure this out.

If you were me, would you order the 4WD coilovers for your 2WD truck knowing that the front and back are about $2400??

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
One guy did mention that since mine is a Hemi the weight should not be off too bad. Do you have experience installing 4wd kits on 2wd trucks at all? You seem very knowledgeable and very helpful which i'm extremely grateful for because today has been very confusing trying to figure this out.

If you were me, would you order the 4WD coilovers for your 2WD truck knowing that the front and back are about $2400??
I have done installs on 4WD and the ONLY difference is no front differential, making things much easier. Everything in the suspension mounts up the same from 2WD to 4WD.

If I was you, I would continue research until you are happy with the information and confirmation.

EDIT: Call RC and see if the Vertex are adjustable downwards.

cubb99

Reaction score
I have done installs on 4WD and the ONLY difference is no front differential, making things much easier. Everything in the suspension mounts up the same from 2WD to 4WD.

If I was you, I would continue research until you are happy with the information and confirmation.
I really appreciate your help today you have been a big help. So in your opinion what they're saying about causing pressure to the ball joints or other parts down there isn't necessarily the case?

Users who are viewing this thread