5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift Fitment Issues with Off Road Package

mjharden

Reaction score
On every manufacturers website (except Rough Country), they note that their leveling/lift kits are NOT compatible with 1500’s that come with the “Off-Road Package!” I happened to buy a Rough Country suspension lift/leveling kit for my Laramie with the ORP, and I can attest that I have slight shuddering issues when taking my foot off the brake in drive and reverse! I emailed Rough Country and asked if their kit is compatible with trucks with the ORP, and their support team responded they are NOT...they said it lifts the front too much! I asked why this isn’t listed on their page...I have yet to receive a response.

Any of you with the ORP experiencing any issues? I guess I’m going to have to remove the RC lift, and have the Mopar lift installed? Any thoughts...

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On every manufacturers website (except Rough Country), they note that their leveling/lift kits are NOT compatible with 1500’s that come with the “Off-Road Package!” I happened to buy a Rough Country suspension lift/leveling kit for my Laramie with the ORP, and I can attest that I have slight shuddering issues when taking my foot off the brake in drive and reverse! I emailed Rough Country and asked if their kit is compatible with trucks with the ORP, and their support team responded they are NOT...they said it lifts the front too much! I asked why this isn’t listed on their page...I have yet to receive a response.

Any of you with the ORP experiencing any issues? I guess I’m going to have to remove the RC lift, and have the Mopar lift installed? Any thoughts...
This is because of the extra inch you get from the offroad package. I would not think it makes that big of a difference but it is possible. Ditch the preload spacer in the Rough Country lift and you are golden. The preload spacer is a 1" spacer. You don't need it since your strut assembly is already 1" longer. This will put everything in the front at the height the Rough Country components were designed for. @jamesfg did this with his Rebel and the Rough Country kit and reported zero issues.

The other option would be to replace the front spring and strut assembly with that off of a non offroad package truck.

If you still have issues after that something may be defective or installed incorrectly.

mjharden

Reaction score
I used this one. It specifically states that it also fits the Rebel which is the same suspension as the ORG. 3K miles so far, around town, hiway and towing, no issues.

https://www.readylift.com/2-front-leveling-kit-with-tubular-control-arms-2019-ram-1500-4wd-1.html

Thanks. This is at the bottom of the link you showed me: “NOTE: Not for use on trucks that are factory pre-lifted/leveled or that have the "off-road package". Check factory height prior to ordering or installing. Trucks with more than 22" of wheel hub to fender lip height may require less lift.”

It looks like the kit you’re referring to doesn’t include a preload spacer, just the strut spacer. I wonder if I do what @ksn240 said, then perhaps I should be ok?

The cheapest option obviously would be to just remove the preload spacer from the RC kit since I already paid for it. I sent a message to @jamesfg so I’ll see what he says too.

Thanks for your feedback!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. This is at the bottom of the link you showed me: “NOTE: Not for use on trucks that are factory pre-lifted/leveled or that have the "off-road package". Check factory height prior to ordering or installing. Trucks with more than 22" of wheel hub to fender lip height may require less lift.”

It looks like the kit you’re referring to doesn’t include a preload spacer, just the strut spacer. I wonder if I do what @ksn240 said, then perhaps I should be ok?

The cheapest option obviously would be to just remove the preload spacer from the RC kit since I already paid for it. I sent a message to @jamesfg so I’ll see what he says too.

Thanks for your feedback!
I guess I should have asked which lift tou are using. I was referring to the 6" dont know why I assumed that. Just a leveling kit should not have hurt it. The 3.5" kit would be detrimental because that it 4.5" over a non offroad package truck and no differential drop.
If that is the case then my point still holds true. Ditch the preload spacer and just use the top hat and everything should be within specs. This essentially gets you the same amount of lift as the Mopar lift for alot cheaper. You will still have rake.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Spacer lifts aren't designed out of the box for ORP trucks. Either ditch some of the spacers or do a full lift that replaces the shocks and struts.

mjharden

Reaction score
I guess I should have asked which lift tou are using. I was referring to the 6" dont know why I assumed that. Just a leveling kit should not have hurt it. The 3.5" kit would be detrimental because that it 4.5" over a non offroad package truck and no differential drop.
If that is the case then my point still holds true. Ditch the preload spacer and just use the top hat and everything should be within specs. This essentially gets you the same amount of lift as the Mopar lift for alot cheaper. You will still have rake.

I’m ok with a 1” rake...right now my front and rear is dead even, so removing the preload spacer should equate to 1” rake.

Thanks for your help!

robbiele

Reaction score
I emailed Readylift about the note pertaining to ORG and this is the response I got.

Good morning, it states:

“NOTE: Not for use on trucks that are factory pre-lifted/leveled or that have the "off-road package". Check factory height prior to ordering or installing. Trucks with more than 22" of wheel hub to fender lip height may require less lift.”

After receiving the truck take a tape measure and measure from the center of the hub (center of wheel) straight up at 12o’clock to the start of the fender line. If your front end exceeds 22.5” of height then you may need a kit with less lift.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m ok with a 1” rake...right now my front and rear is dead even, so removing the preload spacer should equate to 1” rake.

Thanks for your help!
It will actually be about 1.5-2" for the 3.5 kit

mjharden

Reaction score
I emailed Readylift about the note pertaining to ORG and this is the response I got.

Good morning, it states:

“NOTE: Not for use on trucks that are factory pre-lifted/leveled or that have the "off-road package". Check factory height prior to ordering or installing. Trucks with more than 22" of wheel hub to fender lip height may require less lift.”

After receiving the truck take a tape measure and measure from the center of the hub (center of wheel) straight up at 12o’clock to the start of the fender line. If your front end exceeds 22.5” of height then you may need a kit with less lift.

Thanks. Do you know what the stock hub to fender measurement is on a Laramie Crew with ORP? I never took measurements before I had the lift installed. The measurement now is about 25.5”.

griebs303

Reaction score

mjharden

Reaction score
So I just called Ready Lift, and here’s what the tech guy said after conferring with two other techs. On trucks with the ORP, you can use the 3.5” SST lift, but they advise leaving off the preload spacers; or, you can just buy their 2” leveling kit with the upper control arms, which leaves out the preload spacers. They did say they don’t know why that Note is on the bottom of the 2” leveling page. He said they need to take that off! Hope this helps some folks out.

Since I’ve already paid for and have had installed the 3.5” RC lift, I guess I’m just going to remove the preload spacers. I’ll have a little bit of a rake, but that’s ok.

Thanks everyone!

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Readylift also needs to use different measurements for big horns and laramies. The laramie's fender flare extends around the fender and into the wheel well and add's 1/2" down. So an ORP Big Horn stands ~23" (non-ORP ~22") and an ORP Laramie stands ~22.5" (non-ORP ~21.5") - I've measured at least 15 trucks over the last week, lol!

Crozz13

Reaction score
So I just called Ready Lift, and here’s what the tech guy said after conferring with two other techs. On trucks with the ORP, you can use the 3.5” SST lift, but they advise leaving off the preload spacers; or, you can just buy their 2” leveling kit with the upper control arms, which leaves out the preload spacers. They did say they don’t know why that Note is on the bottom of the 2” leveling page. He said they need to take that off! Hope this helps some folks out.

Since I’ve already paid for and have had installed the 3.5” RC lift, I guess I’m just going to remove the preload spacers. I’ll have a little bit of a rake, but that’s ok.

Thanks everyone!
Did you remove the RC preload spacer? Did it solve your issues? Was the preload spacer the black plastic spacer? The metal one is for the top hat right?

Users who are viewing this thread