5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lift Advice

utlong31

Reaction score
I could use a little help and understanding with some work I had done on my 2022 Laramie 1500 4x4. I started out with just the 2” leveling spacer then I took it and had the Fox 2.0 put on the front and back. I do a lot of rough dirt road driving and the ride quality wasn’t good at all so I took it to another shop and they recommended the RC 3.5” lift with the Fox 2.0 shocks. Im new at truck lifts myself and trusted that both shops knew what they were doing. After just a few months with the 3.5” lift one of my front shocks have failed. My question is should they have changed the shocks when putting the 3.5” lift on? I’m also looking at putting the Fox 2.5 precision coil-overs on the front now and will I run into problems with this. I would have done all this in the beginning if the first shop would have recommended it. I explained to them that I do a lot of driving on rough roads and they said they put the 2,0 on lots of trucks so that’s what I went with. I wish I had just gone with something different from the start and really don’t want to throw another $6k at it but I’ll have half of that in it with the Fox 2.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said the second shop did RC 3.5 lift with Fox 2.0 shocks AND coilovers? That doesn’t make sense because the front suspension of our Ram’s are struts (sometimes called coilovers if adjustable). Struts are just shocks inside spring coils as one unit. You can’t have shocks and coilovers at the same time.

Spacers are not the way to go if you drive rough terrain frequently so that was not a good idea to begin with. Should have gone with the Fox 2.5 from the beginning if you are always traveling on rough dirt roads regularly.

utlong31

Reaction score
You said the second shop did RC 3.5 lift with Fox 2.0 shocks AND coilovers? That doesn’t make sense because the front suspension of our Ram’s are struts (sometimes called coilovers if adjustable). Struts are just shocks inside spring coils as one unit. You can’t have shocks and coilovers at the same time.

Spacers are not the way to go if you drive rough terrain frequently so that was not a good idea to begin with. Should have gone with the Fox 2.5 from the beginning if you are always traveling on rough dirt roads regularly.

Edited.
Yes the spacer was a bad idea for my application for sure. I didn’t have it long at all. I’m planning on installing the Fox 2.5 this coming week.

mplaramie

Reaction score
When you do the Fox 2.5's, are you also changing your UCA'S? I would suggest to look at a full kit like BDS 3" w/Fox 2.5, Carli, etc. Take what's in now out and replace with one kit that suites your needs.

utlong31

Reaction score
When you do the Fox 2.5's, are you also changing your UCA'S? I would suggest to look at a full kit like BDS 3" w/Fox 2.5, Carli, etc. Take what's in now out and replace with one kit that suites your needs.

That’s exactly what I was wondering. The BDS 3” or 4” w/Fox 2.5 looks good and I’m sure would be a lot better.

utlong31

Reaction score
So did the shop mess up by installing the 3.5” lift with the Fox 2.0? I’m not trying to hold them to anything but I’d like to know if that could have been part of my issue and now they want to install the Fox 2.5 with my current 3.5” lift.

mplaramie

Reaction score
So did the shop mess up by installing the 3.5” lift with the Fox 2.0? I’m not trying to hold them to anything but I’d like to know if that could have been part of my issue and now they want to install the Fox 2.5 with my current 3.5” lift.

I would say yes.

Deciding between the 3" and 4" lift is a world of difference. The 3" lift uses parts that replace factory. Once you go 4" or higher, you start using brackets, cut frame, drop spindles, etc. That's something to consider.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
also one thing to note about BDS 3"
you need to make sure the Fox 2.5 on BDS 3" kits are NOT regular Fox 2.5 2-3" coilovers (meaning, BDS didn't just adjust the preload and call it a day)
Fox 2.5 is 2-3" adjustable, but when you're maxing out on 3" you are reducing droop and available suspension travel. That's why Fox 2.5 comes at 2" by default.

If it's the same coilover but BDS crank preload up to 3", your ride quality will be on the harsher side in addition to not having all the travel. If you do a lot of dirt road driving, stick with Fox 2.5 DSC at the factory setting, slap on a set of quality UCA (Carli or Thuren), and do the rest of the components. Alternatively, you can just do Carli Performance package that contains everything you need and call it a day.

BDS doesn't publish their 3" kit figures, that's why I'm skeptical about them using different coilovers for the kit.

4" kits you're messing with the frame. Some insurance companies will see that as frame damage. 4" and up kits do not add more suspension travel, and your ground clearance remains the same.

again, for your purpose, keep it simple.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could use a little help and understanding with some work I had done on my 2022 Laramie 1500 4x4. I started out with just the 2” leveling spacer then I took it and had the Fox 2.0 put on the front and back. I do a lot of rough dirt road driving and the ride quality wasn’t good at all so I took it to another shop and they recommended the RC 3.5” lift with the Fox 2.0 shocks. Im new at truck lifts myself and trusted that both shops knew what they were doing. After just a few months with the 3.5” lift one of my front shocks have failed. My question is should they have changed the shocks when putting the 3.5” lift on? I’m also looking at putting the Fox 2.5 precision coil-overs on the front now and will I run into problems with this. I would have done all this in the beginning if the first shop would have recommended it. I explained to them that I do a lot of driving on rough roads and they said they put the 2,0 on lots of trucks so that’s what I went with. I wish I had just gone with something different from the start and really don’t want to throw another $6k at it but I’ll have half of that in it with the Fox 2.5.

Sounds like they did the RC 3.5" SPACER kit on top of the Fox 2.0's. I would recommend as mentioned, looking at the BDS w/ Fox 2.5 coilovers/ shocks, UCA and new rear coils and pulling the old off and selling. The Fox 2.0 are re-buildable, so when you sell them, it can be a selling point.

utlong31

Reaction score
Sounds like they did the RC 3.5" SPACER kit on top of the Fox 2.0's. I would recommend as mentioned, looking at the BDS w/ Fox 2.5 coilovers/ shocks, UCA and new rear coils and pulling the old off and selling. The Fox 2.0 are re-buildable, so when you sell them, it can be a selling point.

Took y’all’s advice and the RC stuff is coming off and the BDS w/ Fox 2.5 coilovers is getting installed Tuesday.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Took y’all’s advice and the RC stuff is coming off and the BDS w/ Fox 2.5 coilovers is getting installed Tuesday.

You may want to look at rear end links that are +1" or +2" to keep the sway bar at the correct angle. Core 4x4 are what i use. Also, SuspensionMaxx front end links for lifted trucks.

utlong31

Reaction score
You may want to look at rear end links that are +1" or +2" to keep the sway bar at the correct angle. Core 4x4 are what i use. Also, SuspensionMaxx front end links for lifted trucks.

I have the Suspension Max on the front. I’ll look into the Core 4x4 for the rear.

utlong31

Reaction score
302afd3bd90f5fe24c4829d5f31cad52.jpg

BDS 3” lift has been installed. Feels much better but I’ve only driven it on pavement. I’ll have it out on the lease rods tomorrow. I did still notice a bumping sound on hard right hand turns in the front drivers side that was there before. Drives me crazy so I’ve got to figure out what it is.

mplaramie

Reaction score

BDS 3” lift has been installed. Feels much better but I’ve only driven it on pavement. I’ll have it out on the lease rods tomorrow. I did still notice a bumping sound on hard right hand turns in the front drivers side that was there before. Drives me crazy so I’ve got to figure out what it is.

Looks good. Mine gets installed in the next two weeks. 🤞 What wheel/tire combo are you running?

For the clunk, have you checked your front sway bar bushings?

utlong31

Reaction score
Looks good. Mine gets installed in the next two weeks. What wheel/tire combo are you running?

For the clunk, have you checked your front sway bar bushings?

Stock 20” wheels with MT Baja Legend EXP 295-65 R20.

Sway bar bushing will be replaced soon. Im thinking about ordering the Hellwig sway bar.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Stock 20” wheels with MT Baja Legend EXP 295-65 R20.

Sway bar bushing will be replaced soon. Im thinking about ordering the Hellwig sway bar.

Any spacers on the stock rims? From your pic, it looks like maybe 1/4" of clearance from the UCA. Also, any rub from the tires?

I'm just going to change my front sway bar bushings when I do the lift. Going with Energy Suspension.

utlong31

Reaction score
Any spacers on the stock rims? From your pic, it looks like maybe 1/4" of clearance from the UCA. Also, any rub from the tires?

I'm just going to change my front sway bar bushings when I do the lift. Going with Energy Suspension.

No spacers and yes there’s about a 1/4” clearance. I think there’s a little more clearance on the BDS UCA than there was with the RC. I did have some slight rub before mostly in reverse but did not notice any this morning when I backed out.
I also had a little in the upper fender well with the old set up if I hit a big hole or something to hard. I’ve put almost 60k miles with this size tire. First set were Nitto Recon Grapplers now these. I will say the drive this morning was amazing with this set up. I got to test it out on one of the roughest roads I drive on. It’s around a 12 mile drive on one of the roughest dirt roads you can imagine and I didn’t have to dodge holes the whole way.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Jealous* Mine will eventually get installed :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread