5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

License plate cover rubs tailgate

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Most license plate screws whether it’s security or not are just self tappers screwed into the plastic... so a pair of pliers will pull them out easily.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I'm familiar with security fasteners. In that case, just use security fasteners to secure the license plates. I have to say that I've bought a lot of license plate frames over the years, but I don't remember any of them coming with security fasteners. If security is your concern, all you need is the fasteners They're readily available. No frame required.
I bought some frames off of Amazon and they included the fasteners. Not too concerned about someone stealing my plates to be honest. Just used what they supplied.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
Some frames come with tamper proof screws that require a special tool to install or remove. I have them on my truck. Typically a torx screw with a pin in the middle, tool has a hole in the center for the pin to slide into and the rest is a typical torx screw.

Can be removed with just a flat head screw driver. Just a light knock will remove the pin and then insert the flat head into the now pinless torx screw and turn. Had to do this on my wife’s corrolla when we bought it to get the security torx off as I didn’t have my tools with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread