5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lever Action 357

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the Henry Big Boy X or Citadel Levtac 92? I’m looking closely at those two and am having trouble deciding. Henry is about 1000 and Citadel is 800. I budgeted around 1000 so if I went with the Citadel, I’d get plenty of rounds with it and still be under 1000. But Henry reputation is hard to pass up.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I owned a Big Boy 44 magnum and it was a pretty but very fragile rifle. It went back to the factory 3 times for repair and the 3rd time I ask them to buy the gun back and they did. First time was a broken NIM shell lifter. Second time was for a broken firing pin. Third time it went back was due to the kinetic hammering of loaded shells in the magazine caused the pin on the tube to hammer against the notch in the magazine eventually tearing the very thin metal of the magazine launching the tube downrange. It's a pretty wall hanger; not a shooter. Modern Henry rifles do not have a very good reputation. They are not the old Henry.

A Marlin 1894 in 357 would be a better choice and they can be had new for under $1000. Even better would be one of the older "JM" Marlin Cowboy Limited 1894s but they run over $1500 used. I have two of the Cowboy Limited guns; one in 357 and one in 44mag.

Users who are viewing this thread