5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling worth it?

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
With all the con’s regarding leveling/lifting my truck I’m starting to wonder if it’s even worth doing. Especially on a brand new $40k truck. I really want a 3.5” lift in front and 2” in rear with mud tires. But messing with The factory suspension geometry. Poor ride quality, faster wear on front suspension parts. Loss of fuel efficiency with larger heavier tires and wheels. Faster wear on brake components. For what? Just too look cool? I love the way leveled/lifted trucks look but I’m not sure if I want to take on all the risks associated with doing so. Most of all I don’t want to mess up my comfortable ride. I love how mud tires look but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra weight, noise and stiffness compared to a highway tire. I have a 2wd truck and rarely leave pavement except for occasionally driving on the beach. Any suggestions? The other issue is what is the "RIGHT" way to level or lift a truck? No one seems to have front struts out yet. Shouldn't you change those out along with upper control arms, longer springs, and taller spindle to do it right? Even if it's only 3.5" or 4"?

Last edited:

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
I’m leveled with 285/65/20 KO2’s and haven’t had any issues. I probably lost 5-10% in ride quality and gained 5-10% in road noise. Worth it.

rah6887

Reaction score
I'm considering doing the same, but don't want to mess with the ride.
What's funny is that sometimes the truck appears to be level, and sometimes it looks like an old jacked up hot rod.
Sitting in my carport, looks level, sitting in a random parking lot, jacked up. Lots of variables I know.

Fmrchvy

Reaction score
With all the con’s regarding leveling/lifting my truck I’m starting to wonder if it’s even worth doing. Especially on a brand new $40k truck. I really want a 3.5” lift in front and 2” in rear with mud tires. But messing with The factory suspension geometry. Poor ride quality, faster wear on front suspension parts. Loss of fuel efficiency with larger heavier tires and wheels. Faster wear on brake components. For what? Just too look cool? I love the way leveled/lifted trucks look but I’m not sure if I want to take on all the risks associated with doing so. Most of all I don’t want to mess up my comfortable ride. I love how mud tires look but I’m not sure if it’s worth the extra weight, noise and stiffness compared to a highway tire. I have a 2wd truck and rarely leave pavement except for occasionally driving on the beach. Any suggestions?

If it’s a 2wd truck, why would you lift it at all? That makes zero sense. Your better option on a 2wd is leveling it by lowering the rear and if you want to achieve a certain stance, spacers or wider wheels and tires.

JamMastaJ

Reaction score
If it’s a 2wd truck, why would you lift it at all? That makes zero sense. Your better option on a 2wd is leveling it by lowering the rear and if you want to achieve a certain stance, spacers or wider wheels and tires.

Yeah I think your right, that might just be the best way to go. but the answer to your question why would you lift it at all? Because it looks COOL!!!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with lifting or leveling a 2WD, especially since the are used no different than the majority of 4WD that have done the same. Which is to say most do it for looks than anything else, and there is nothing wrong with that either.

I live in the desert, the majority of trucks 4-wheeling out here are lifted 2WD with lockers and A/T tires, Baja style off-roading. Getting a level or lift does improve on off-road performance.

I think if you go with the full level kits that include the upper control arms, you retain good ride quality. Go with a KO2s 33" - 35" and you still be able to maintain relatively stock feeling ride. Nothing will be as smooth or quiet than pure highway tires, but even my RAM with the stock Duratrac 33"s rides very smooth.

Users who are viewing this thread