5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling kit

steve1982

Reaction score
@steve1982 also can you use those springs with stock shocks?
Yes. I'm running these: https://www.stengelbros.net/350-905XHD-Dayton-Maxx-Heavy-Duty-Coil-Springs_p_41403.html with stock rear shocks right now.

@steve1982 Can you get an inch of lift in the rear from Bilsteins? Instead of using a spacer for now.
Remember that shocks alone don't change ride height. You'll need to swap the springs or add spacers if you want lift in the rear.

myles

Reaction score
@steve1982 also can you use those springs with stock shocks?

@myles can you keep the stock shocks on with icon coils? Opinion on Icon vs Tuftruck? They both have 1.5” springs.
Not 100% sure but I would assume you would just need 0-2” longer rear shocks. You might be stretching them with 1.5” lift. But I you could try it and let us know? And I’ve never used either coils so I can’t say how either on them are.

steve1982

Reaction score
How’s the ride with those? Did it give you any extra lift in the rear?
Go back and read my longer post on the last page. The replacement springs added 2-3". The ride improved a lot.

Not 100% sure but I would assume you would just need 0-2” longer rear shocks. You might be stretching them with 1.5” lift. But I you could try it and let us know? And I’ve never used either coils so I can’t say how either on them are.
You can run stock shocks with a couple inches of lift in the rear, but I wouldn't recommend it long term. Longer shocks in the rear are next for me.

jabara572

Reaction score
I installed spacers myself in my garage without a lift or air tools in less than 3 hours. A shop could probably do it in 1.5-2. It's basically remove wheel, remove caliper, unbolt UCA, tie rod, sway bar, lower shock bolt, upper shock bolts, install spacer, reinstall.

FYI you can do it without even removing the calipers, I didnt and it was fine

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
Yes. I'm running these: https://www.stengelbros.net/350-905XHD-Dayton-Maxx-Heavy-Duty-Coil-Springs_p_41403.html with stock rear shocks right now.

Remember that shocks alone don't change ride height. You'll need to swap the springs or add spacers if you want lift in the rear.
Are you still happy with your Dayton XHD's? I have added a lot of weight in the rear and now my 6" lift is more like a 6" front 4" rear.. Hoping to level it back out and get the back, back up..

Robalo2718

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread for this, but probably not worth it. Just wanted to get the info out there somewhere on a recent thread.

The history and woes playing with the suspension on my truck...

Front:
- I installed top mount 2" spacers on the front coils a few months back. The truck still rode horribly soft and that affected the front end feedback while towing the boat.
- I removed the 2" spacers 2 weeks ago and installed the Bilstein 5100s, maxed out at 2.7" of lift (or whatever that number is for the highest ring)
- Dramatic improvement in ride quality which I believe is due to the preloading of the struts. Better steering while towing, etc. Very easy install too.

Rear:
- These trucks are famous for squatting the rear end with anything more than 6 ounces of weight on them.
- I added the "in spring" airbags 6 months ago hoping these would help, used them in the past successfully, but they did not help this truck. I think the 5th gen springs are just lighter than my 4th gen springs.
- I ripped out the airbags due to horrible performance while towing. It didn't help the squat much and walked all over the road while towing.
- I installed these: https://www.stengelbros.net/350-905XHD-Dayton-Maxx-Heavy-Duty-Coil-Springs_p_41403.html
-- NIGHT AND DAY IMPROVEMENT
-- 70% increase in load are the ones I bought. Love them. They have a 30% increase available as well which would probably be sufficient.
-- Tows great now. No bucking when you go over bumps while towing, no saggy rear end feeling, no sway issues
-- 2.5-3" of lift in the rear so it has a good stance. With the boat hooked up (~500 lb tongue weight) it only sags the rear about 1.5" which is perfectly level. (a little rake without the boat, level with the boat or towing my big trailer)
-- Only cost ~$220 delivered. A much better solution than air bags or spacers in my opinion.
- Bilstein rear shocks (0-2" lift) are next.
2.5-3" rear lift when empty or compared to how much you were sagging when towing/hauling? More than 2" rear lift and you would be overextending a Bilstein 5100 rear. Thanks! Trying to decide on TufTruck vs Dayton rear springs, but not much info on either.

Kilroy

Reaction score
Is there any need to do this with 4x4 with air ride? If so what is the best option there? And do you need to have an alinement done afterwords?

steve1982

Reaction score
2.5-3" rear lift when empty or compared to how much you were sagging when towing/hauling? More than 2" rear lift and you would be overextending a Bilstein 5100 rear. Thanks! Trying to decide on TufTruck vs Dayton rear springs, but not much info on either.
The springs settled a bit. It's about 2" higher than stock unloaded and around stock height with good weight on the hitch (500-800 lbs). Still very happy with my choice to buy the Dayton springs. I installed the Bilstein shocks with the external reservoir. Rides really nice now. I'm happy with it.

Jay808

Reaction score
The springs settled a bit. It's about 2" higher than stock unloaded and around stock height with good weight on the hitch (500-800 lbs). Still very happy with my choice to buy the Dayton springs. I installed the Bilstein shocks with the external reservoir. Rides really nice now. I'm happy with it.
I’m looking to add a little height to the back of my Rebel. I just installed Falkon shocks and a canopy looking to do some overlanding. What type of Ram do you have? I know the Rebel is 1in higher stock then the regular models. So 1-2in would be great. Thank you for all the info in this thread.

steve1982

Reaction score
I’m looking to add a little height to the back of my Rebel. I just installed Falkon shocks and a canopy looking to do some overlanding. What type of Ram do you have? I know the Rebel is 1in higher stock then the regular models. So 1-2in would be great. Thank you for all the info in this thread.
Mine is a 2019 (new body) 1500, Hemi, 4wd, 3.92, nothing special.
I'm just trying to post what I did so folks can see it. I don't know jack about the Rebels but I'd assume it's the same perch seats, same springs, and a stock spacer. If that's the case, no reason these wouldn't work for you. Just keep in mind I have zero plans to do any rock crawling or off-roading in my truck. I just hate how soft the stock springs are and wanted to be able to haul a big trailer full of crap (a few times a year) without sagging the rear end. I've had full air suspension, add-on air bags, helper leafs on a couple chevys, and in-spring air bags. I will buy replacement leafs or replacement springs from now on. Much more trustworthy and maintenance free after they are installed. Good luck.

wiuretto

Reaction score
I was going to start a new thread for this, but probably not worth it. Just wanted to get the info out there somewhere on a recent thread.

The history and woes playing with the suspension on my truck...

Front:
- I installed top mount 2" spacers on the front coils a few months back. The truck still rode horribly soft and that affected the front end feedback while towing the boat.
- I removed the 2" spacers 2 weeks ago and installed the Bilstein 5100s, maxed out at 2.7" of lift (or whatever that number is for the highest ring)
- Dramatic improvement in ride quality which I believe is due to the preloading of the struts. Better steering while towing, etc. Very easy install too.

Rear:
- These trucks are famous for squatting the rear end with anything more than 6 ounces of weight on them.
- I added the "in spring" airbags 6 months ago hoping these would help, used them in the past successfully, but they did not help this truck. I think the 5th gen springs are just lighter than my 4th gen springs.
- I ripped out the airbags due to horrible performance while towing. It didn't help the squat much and walked all over the road while towing.
- I installed these: https://www.stengelbros.net/350-905XHD-Dayton-Maxx-Heavy-Duty-Coil-Springs_p_41403.html
-- NIGHT AND DAY IMPROVEMENT
-- 70% increase in load are the ones I bought. Love them. They have a 30% increase available as well which would probably be sufficient.
-- Tows great now. No bucking when you go over bumps while towing, no saggy rear end feeling, no sway issues
-- 2.5-3" of lift in the rear so it has a good stance. With the boat hooked up (~500 lb tongue weight) it only sags the rear about 1.5" which is perfectly level. (a little rake without the boat, level with the boat or towing my big trailer)
-- Only cost ~$220 delivered. A much better solution than air bags or spacers in my opinion.
- Bilstein rear shocks (0-2" lift) are next.
Reference The springs: when you say 2.5 -3 ” of lift in the rear; is that compared to rebel models with the lifted springs? I have 21 Rebel, 3.5: strut lift in front whitch I believe equates to 2.5” of lift after changoing the spring, then I have the upgraded V2 MONTUBE shocks in the rear with the 1” spacer the kit came with. I want to lift the rear two more inches to get the stock rake back. Do you have any recommendations? I was thinking of removing the one inch spacer and replacing with a 3”spacer to get the 2” rake. Now I am reading your review and thinking maybe springs are a better option. Sorry for the novel. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread