5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling Kit and MPG Loss

Helmetface

Reaction score
Lately I've seen numerous people claiming that they, "lost 5 MPG+" after going with just a leveling kit!

Just a level. I'm not talking 35's or anything else...

I'm looking at my 2" Motofab kit now and I'm worried about a significant hit to my MPG's.

Can anyone else comment on this? I truly find ute hard to believe...

JHRebel

Reaction score
I went with a 2inch level and 35s on my Rebel, my city mileage hasn’t really changed much, I lost around 1mpg on the highway and I drive “fast” 77-82mph

BmoreStew

Reaction score
I didn’t notice much of a loss, if any, after leveling. I’m usually between 70 and 80mph on the highway. I’ve got the air suspension though with the “aero“ mode, which helps, i’m sure.

now, after installing a big old winch? that dropped me down a mpg or 2... maybe 3.

clazer

Reaction score
Keep in mind: increase from 31” to 34” and “mpg” goes from 20 to 18... you’re actually the same efficiency. Without reprogramming, you’re going 1.1miles every time the truck measures one mile.

Also, most people will be more foot heavy on new rubber. It’s difficult to fight.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A leveling kit will not have much of an effect. Bigger tires will but you also need to recalibrate the speedometer. I have a level and 33s and average about 13, but that is mainly city. If I get on the highway and baby it I can get 20. Going 85 I still get 17-18. I fixed my speedometer as well.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those claims are nonsense and false.

Lifting the truck does increase rolling resistance, but it’s not enough to matter. It’s 2 inches. You’d need 12” before this might even become a thing. And having owned 12” lifted trucks, I’d say it doesnt even matter then.

I’ve said this a couple times but here’s what effects your mileage:

1) tire weight.
2) tread design
3) air pressure
4) throttle
5) speed

agjr85

Reaction score
Totally agree with SilverSurfer.
I went from the stock 20's on 275's to 22x10 on 305-45s and AT tread and I lost a good 1.5-1.75mpg from my calculations.
Makes sense as wheels are heavy (non forged) and tires is larger/heavier with aggressive tread.

Users who are viewing this thread