5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling...does it hit Highway MPG?

JC4041

Reaction score
If that was the case, all cars and SUV's would have a stinkbug attitude and Aero Mode would just lower the nose.

Cars and SUV's sit closer to the ground though, there's hardly a gap between the bottoms of the vehicle and the road.

JC4041

Reaction score
Explain the Chevy Suburban.
/sigh....what about them? The fact that they are based on a fullsize truck frame and the 2 wheel drive versions sit lower in the front? But if you want to get into what I was talking about since we happen to be on a Dodge forum.....look at the Durango vs a 1500. If I wanted to discuss Chevy products, I'd go hang out there.

1638609679240.png
1638610309484.png

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Keep in mind the stock tires are kind of small and they will look a lot smaller with the truck leveled.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Most vehicles have rake because they expect you to add weight in the rear when carrying cargo or passengers.

The front weight is a fixed weight with the engine. But the rear is variable that’s what they are compensating for. Most cars even have rake but it’s not as much since you can’t put as much weight in the rear as a suv or truck.

Also vehicles with automatic adjustable suspension usually sit level since they can automatically compensate for the weight added in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tire change will definitely have an impact on MPG's after the level lol. Ask me how I know haha

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Partially true but rake is also aerodynamics.
I would tend to agree that aerodynamics is slightly improved with a rake. But I'd estimate the benefit to be about the same as adding a tonneau cover. In other words, not significant enough to matter. Under identical conditions (environmentally controlled wind tunnel), you might see a measurable difference. But in normal day to day driving, you're likely to see more difference from one day to the next if you change the time you leave for your morning commute by 1 hour. I've done that comparison, and for me I see over 1 mpg better if I leave 1 hour earlier, because the traffic is lighter. There are just too many variables involved to do accurate testing on the street. A level will not impact fuel economy in a significant enough way to affect the decision of whether or not to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread