5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leveling 2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn

BoeingDriver

Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on leveling about 2”. Motofab seems to be one of the easier routes but read a lot of good reviews on Bilsteins. Have been waiting to do this until I needed new tires and that times come. Looking to put on 33s. Any recommendations or pros/cons would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations on leveling about 2”. Motofab seems to be one of the easier routes but read a lot of good reviews on Bilsteins. Have been waiting to do this until I needed new tires and that times come. Looking to put on 33s. Any recommendations or pros/cons would be very much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
I went with motofab spacers. Works great and doesn’t affect the ride. If you have the off road package, or if you’re planning on taking it off road a lot you should change the UCAs also. I’m running 33s as well.

BoxerguyT89

Reaction score
I have the Bilsteins on mine and they have been great. I ran them on my 2014 1500 as well and never had any issues.

The spacers will be easier to install. I like the ride of the Bilsteins and I believe it helps with CV/UCA angles but someone else would need to confirm.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are... :

1) Happy with the way your stock suspension rides/handles
2) Don't plan to do much off roading
3) Don't have the Off Road Package / Rebel
4) Not concerned about suspension travel, particularly up travel
5) Running a wheel/tire setup not too much heavier than stock

... then a spacer will probably do fine.

If you want to improve the handling, control, or towing characteristics you might consider leveling via a strut or coilover. If you If you regularly do any off roading beyond a fire road then it's fairly imperative.

Note: pretty much no aftermarket strut/coilover will improve on the stock Ram ride *comfort*, but most options should improve on handling/control. People prioritize different characteristics, which is why some people can be disappointed in a ride that someone else loves. Happens with the Bilstiens a lot because you loose that Cadillac float, and instead "feel" more of the road - which some people love, some people can't stand.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you are... :

If you want to improve the handling, control, or towing characteristics you might consider leveling via a strut or coilover. If you If you regularly do any off roading beyond a fire road then it's fairly imperative.

Note: pretty much no aftermarket strut/coilover will improve on the stock Ram ride *comfort*, but most options should improve on handling/control. People prioritize different characteristics, which is why some people can be disappointed in a ride that someone else loves. Happens with the Bilstiens a lot because you loose that Cadillac float, and instead "feel" more of the road - which some people love, some people can't stand.
Had a 2020 Rebel and now a 2023 Limited...loved that Rebel but much prefer the cadillac float of the Limited and would hate to lose that which keeps me from touching anything in that space. Appreciate the perspective for future consideration.

BoeingDriver

Reaction score
If you are... :

What would you recommend for a strut/coil over option? Looking at putting 33s on and only looking for about a 2” level.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would you recommend for a strut/coil over option? Looking at putting 33s on and only looking for about a 2” level.
If you want a pre-assembled strut (no messing with spring compressors for easy DIY), the Eibach Pro Truck seem pretty good, and the price can't be beat for a pre-assembled unit.
This is what I've just changed to from the Bilstien 5100 - similar class of shock, but much better ride & big bump compliance with 90% of the handling of the 5100's.

If you are hiring it out or not afraid of some spring assembly, the Bilstien 6112s seem to have good reviews and would be great if you plan to actually take it to the trail. Icon Stage 1s also, but a little pricier and may not be as compliant on road.

Above those price points you begin talking religion, and I don't have personal experience with the $4-$5k suspensions. But I don't think you can go wrong with the big names in 2.5" diameter shocks:
Fox, King, Icon. Some find the Icons to "feel too much of the road" due to their digressive valving. Just don't crank any of them to crazy heights.

I just about pulled the trigger on some custom tuned Kings from Filthy Motorsports but after much agonizing I gambled on the Eibachs since I mainly care about on-road. Glad I did, met most of my goals for a fraction of the price. The Kings woulda been like driving an Indy Car to the grocery store.

Jeffawats

Reaction score
I will be needing tires within the next few months so I am also thinking about leveling and going just a bit bigger with tire size. 22,Hemi,3.92 gears,I tow frequently about 5/6 k weight,never offroad the truck,love the factory ride but handling could be improved.

mplaramie

Reaction score
There has been great advice given about the different options you can go to achieve your level when you get new tires. One thing to consider based on the fact that you don't off-road but DO tow is to keep a little rake. Also, a HELLWIG sway bar is a great solution that helps improve everyday handling and when towing. Something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online