5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Level kit install = ripped torn drive axle outer cv boot

Curlymurt

Reaction score
I wanted to state it here because I couldn't find the info through a search:

The drive axle is intended to be one piece and you CANNOT buy just a CV Axle Boot Kit.

After having the parts for over a year, I finally decided to take an opportunity to install the level. Unfortunately for me, this weekend was a designated "honey-do" weekend where the kids and wife left so we can get the house fixed up a bit. All was going well with the install until a bit devilish juju struck when I ripped the CV boot while prying the strut back into the truck. This is the time it's most likely to happen during install and I highly recommend putting something against the boot to protect it. I didn't have a piece of steel so I used a bondo applicator on the other side and it saved me from a second torn boot.

After calling the dealers and doing a search online, I accepted that it was going to be a $500+ fix because you have to buy the entire axle. Rather than driving around and spewing grease everywhere while I delayed the inevitable replacement, I took the spare vehicle and grabbed one from the dealership so I could get the truck back on the road without a mess.

Second fun fact for this post: the axles are the same part number for driver side and passenger side, at least on the 4x4 V8.

I hope this helps someone else!

LoneRanger

Reaction score
Smart using the same length cv's. Sucks you had to educate us all the hard way!

L.R.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even if they sold boots separately you still have to take the entire CV off to get the boot changed out. Might as well get a new one with all the hassle already done. Sucks you tore a boot so early, I remember replacing them on my Titan. Not a fun day if you're solo.

It is nice that they're the same size though. My Titan had two different lengths because the differential wasn't centered.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Wouldn’t you want different CVs with a level, though? When the boots went on my 14 I replaced the axles with some that are meant for a levelled truck because it cuts the angle out and should last longer.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Wouldn’t you want different CVs with a level, though? When the boots went on my 14 I replaced the axles with some that are meant for a levelled truck because it cuts the angle out and should last longer.
I thought about this actually and do think it would be smart, though I didn't do much research as I was in a pinch. 1.5" level is as mild as I could find, so I figured I'm probably fine for awhile. If anyone knows where to get them outside of a full lift kit let me know.

Curlymurt

Reaction score
Even if they sold boots separately you still have to take the entire CV off to get the boot changed out. Might as well get a new one with all the hassle already done. Sucks you tore a boot so early, I remember replacing them on my Titan. Not a fun day if you're solo.

It is nice that they're the same size though. My Titan had two different lengths because the differential wasn't centered.
The differential is offset but there's a bracketed extension piece that allows the same one to be used. So yes, good that it's the same and interchangable; bad that they don't have a $20 plus time fix for a "wear" item. I use that term loosely.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I thought about this actually and do think it would be smart, though I didn't do much research as I was in a pinch. 1.5" level is as mild as I could find, so I figured I'm probably fine for awhile. If anyone knows where to get them outside of a full lift kit let me know.
I was quoted around 750 (+/-, going by memory) or around 850 for what is used on a levelled truck. The owner of the shop had just done his that way and so I figured to give it a shot. Can’t say for certain on durability because I traded that truck in recently, but I get the logic. Price is in Canadian, for the record. If I can find my bill I’ll post the make and exact cost.

Users who are viewing this thread