5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets See Your BackCountry Trim Trucks!!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the heated wheel and seats were programmed to only get hot below 40F ambient temp for safety? I think if the outdoor temp is above 40F they won't get hot. I'm surprised it'll allow them to come on at all.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
@OutdoorsmanBackcountry didn't mention if 4th gen Ram had leather or cloth, but as @deeve mentioned and in my experience heated cloth seats never feel as warm as leather. Not to say there couldn't be an issue though. I bought my Backcountry in June and haven't tried them yet.

@WXman - Manual operated heated seats/steering wheel to my knowledge will operate at any temperature. There is Auto-On Comfort (or whatever it's called) which automatically turns on the heating/ventilating based on temperature. Is that what you're thinking of?

Sanders

Reaction score
Our 4th gen has cloth seats. I think the temperature only matters for when the seats turn on automatically with remote start.
Backcountry heated seats work just not impressed with them.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@OutdoorsmanBackcountry didn't mention if 4th gen Ram had leather or cloth, but as @deeve mentioned and in my experience heated cloth seats never feel as warm as leather. Not to say there couldn't be an issue though. I bought my Backcountry in June and haven't tried them yet.

@WXman - Manual operated heated seats/steering wheel to my knowledge will operate at any temperature. There is Auto-On Comfort (or whatever it's called) which automatically turns on the heating/ventilating based on temperature. Is that what you're thinking of?

No, I'm talking about the amount of current the BCM will allow to be sent to the wheel (and possibly seats). I remember when I had my Gladiator pickup with the Cold Weather Package and a lot of guys were discussing how the steering wheel seemed to get really hot in cold weather but in cool (50s) weather it would just get lukewarm. Somebody mentioned that the programming was able to control how much temperature the heated steering wheel can produce based upon what the ambient temperature is. The idea being that if it's 90 degrees outside it could be dangerous to activate a heating element inside the vehicle, and there's always some idiot that would do it.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tested the heated seats/steering wheel the day I picked up my truck and the temps seemed comparable to my previous 4th Gen Laramie’s. I didn’t notice any big difference.

Gotta be somebody here that was able to test them out in colder temps at the tail end of last winter.🤔

Sanders

Reaction score
No, I'm talking about the amount of current the BCM will allow to be sent to the wheel (and possibly seats). I remember when I had my Gladiator pickup with the Cold Weather Package and a lot of guys were discussing how the steering wheel seemed to get really hot in cold weather but in cool (50s) weather it would just get lukewarm. Somebody mentioned that the programming was able to control how much temperature the heated steering wheel can produce based upon what the ambient temperature is. The idea being that if it's 90 degrees outside it could be dangerous to activate a heating element inside the vehicle, and there's always some idiot that would do it.
That’s very interesting.

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score
My 4th gen was cloth as well. Could be some new feature limiting them unless it's actually cold out. But the 4th gen sure didn't have it. I was once having back issues and running my heated seat in the middle of summer with my A/C blasting. My 4th gen also had better heated stearing wheel than my wifes 2018 jeep gc, but only slightly. I mean the heated seats are the same as other trim levels so I'm assuming if they sucked we would know by now.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the heated wheel and seats were programmed to only get hot below 40F ambient temp for safety? I think if the outdoor temp is above 40F they won't get hot. I'm surprised it'll allow them to come on at all.
I'm surprised anyone would want to to turn them on when it is 60 degrees outside . . . ..

Dewey

Reaction score
I'm surprised anyone would want to to turn them on when it is 60 degrees outside . . . ..
Must be from Florida🤔

Heck in WI we don’t pack our shorts away for the season till the temps hit zero.😆

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Somewhere on here I read you could add different levels of heat to the steering wheel vs on/off only. I think I also read the hot on the variable setting was hotter than if it was just on/off , if that makes sense. I believe it was added via AlfaODB.

Grimgreg

Reaction score
Actually the main reason I got a truck with heated seats was because of my wife. She has back problems and uses the heated seat like a therapeutic heating pad. I used them once, when sleeping at a rest area in freezing temps. Where as she uses them every time she is in my truck.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Actually the main reason I got a truck with heated seats was because of my wife. She has back problems and uses the heated seat like a therapeutic heating pad. I used them once, when sleeping at a rest area in freezing temps. Where as she uses them every time she is in my truck.
I have no use for heated seats. Ventilated is another story. I turn on the seat fan in my wife's car no matter what the temp is. I find leather to be hot after a while under any conditions.

Love the cloth seats in the Backcountry. While not vented, they do seem to breathe well. Plus they look great.

Dewey

Reaction score
I have no use for heated seats. Ventilated is another story. I turn on the seat fan in my wife's car no matter what the temp is. I find leather to be hot after a while under any conditions.

Love the cloth seats in the Backcountry. While not vented, they do seem to breathe well. Plus they look great.
The cloth insert is nice but I sure miss the full leather ventilated seats in my Laramie’s. So nice in really hot temps.

OutdoorsmanBackcountry

Reaction score

To be clear I turned them on, on a 60 degree morning because I felt like it. Heated seats and steering wheels are a must in northern states in the winter, and I wanted to try them out. They barely work. Fingers crossed this ambient temp thing is really otherwise its going to be a cold dark winter of death and disease.

Last edited:

BackCountryinNJ

banned at member request but still lurking
Reaction score
Delmonico Red Quad Cab was what I originally ordered. Looks good.
Thanks! I got lucky with this one. I didn't order it....I found it on Ram's website by putting in my must have criteria and then searching with 250 miles. When I found it, it was still in transit to the dealer so I put a deposit on it. Waited about a week and half and it came in.... Drove 4 hours each way to go pick it up.

Yankee Echo

Reaction score
Thanks! I got lucky with this one. I didn't order it....I found it on Ram's website by putting in my must have criteria and then searching with 250 miles. When I found it, it was still in transit to the dealer so I put a deposit on it. Waited about a week and half and it came in.... Drove 4 hours each way to go pick it up.
That's pretty much how I found my Hydro Blue Crew Backcountry, and similar distance to drive each way.

Users who are viewing this thread