5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let the fun begin!

highgear2005

Reaction score
2019 Ram 5.7 3.92 screw
Over 14000 problem free miles and now this!

Two weeks ago drivers side rear door won’t open, outside or inside. My child locks are on, because my three year sits behind me. Dealer fixed, claimed cable came off! Mentioned the radio has been locking up and rebooting, not often but has done this a few times now. Dealer will be replacing the 8.4 unit once they receive a new one.

This morning it was cold, below freezing and my truck sits outside. Went out to load it with my daily needs and the rear door bounced back. Instead flashbacks to my 15,18 Ford frozen doors not latching in the cold.

Warmed the truck and was able to get the door to latch. Seems the only luck I have is bad luck! I’m opening this was a fluke but I’m not betting on it.

After 100 plus years of the automobile, why can’t we make a door latch that works! Seems simple enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I believe this is the first I’ve heard of this issue . Maybe a little oil in the latch would help ? Or something that will lube without freezing , ( fluid film , rest check , etc ... ) .

Big White RAM

Reaction score
2019 Ram 5.7 3.92 screw

Two weeks ago drivers side rear door won’t open, outside or inside. My child locks are on, because my three year sits behind me. Dealer fixed, claimed cable came off! Mentioned the radio has been locking up and rebooting, not often but has done this a few times now. Dealer will be replacing the 8.4 unit once they receive a new one.

This morning it was cold, below freezing and my truck sits outside. Went out to load it with my daily needs and the rear door bounced back. Instead flashbacks to my 15,18 Ford frozen doors not latching in the cold.

Warmed the truck and was able to get the door to latch. Seems the only luck I have is bad luck! I’m opening this was a fluke but I’m not betting on it.

After 100 plus years of the automobile, why can’t we make a door latch that works! Seems simple enough.

Possible the strike on the door jamb is adjusted too far inward and not allowing the door latch to fully catch when the door is shut; especially when it's cold and the weather stripping is firm. When the door is closed, is it flush with the cab, or is it either in or out slightly?

highgear2005

Reaction score
Flush, I use the rear door every day, and this morning was my first issue with it being frozen. This is my 2nd winter with this truck.

Big White RAM

Reaction score
I would have the dealer replace the door catch, or at least lubricate it. Years ago, I had a Suburban with barn doors. When the weather dipped into the 30's, the doors would not close; turned out water was getting into the weather strip through the tiny vent holes (to allow for compression since it was hollow) and freezing. Depending on your location, the weather has been all over the place in terms of warm and cold. It was raining in the NE the other day, and now it's in the 30's. Possible your weather strip is doing the same as I experienced?

highgear2005

Reaction score
Spoke to the dealership, my new radio is getting installed next Thursday, he’s going to look at this door issue. Claims there’s no freezing issues with the doors.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You definitely have to manage your expectations owning a Mopar, it's a give and take relationship. They give us **** and we take it

highgear2005

Reaction score
Update: now the door won’t open at all. Which is why I had the dealer look at this door last week.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Trucks been at the dealership for over a week. Replacing the door handle and cable. Still waiting on parts. Hopefully they have this finished soon.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Dealer promised my truck today after ten days at the shop. Got a call this afternoon, the new door handle doesn’t include the cable mounting hardware! With the holidays fast approaching he can’t give me a idea when the part will be available. I need my truck this week. So now I’m picking this up, still broken and will have to waste a day over the holidays to have it fixed.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am experiencing this same thing. About 2 weeks ago, first snowfall took the truck out. Get to the corner and dash is showing a door open. All doors appeared closed...so we opened and closed them all. Still showing open passenger back door. Get out and slam it closed again all appears fixed. Next day I notice that the door panel itself is coming unattached at the bottom of the door. Make an appointment for January to get that looked at and fixed.

Fast forward to Christmas night. Get in the truck after being at the inlaws all day. Door closes fine and we drive home in a blizzard. Later that night on a final trip out the back passenger door will not close. Just bounces open. Got it to sit flush and now have it secured with a bungee cord and the dash shows that the door is closed (no warning light) The weather is bad right now and I am not going to chance taking the cord off and will have to call the dealer and update my service call. The door went from working to not working so hoping they can get me in sooner.

This could be some type of cold weather issue. As a note, the back doors seems much flimsier than the front doors.

highgear2005

Reaction score
I agree, seems to happen in the cold weather. I’m still waiting on the dealer to receive ALL the parts. Hopefully this week, but I’m not sure if this is the end or just the beginning. Thankfully my front doors have been fine. But with two kids sitting in the back, it makes me nervous.

TheCaptain

Reaction score
2019 Ram 5.7 3.92 screw

I'll be following this thread with interest as I am having a similar issue. Here is my issue as described in another thread I started:

"I purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited about a month ago. The night I picked it up after a few uses, the external handle for the passenger rear door would not open the door but the inside handle would work. Took it back to the dealer and they repaired it saying "a wire had come off". I didn't ask any more questions as I just figured it was a rare occurrence and they took care of it. Fast forward to last week and it started happening again but this time both the interior and exterior handles will not open the door. The lock indicator moves as intended."

Mine does not appear to have anything to do with the weather and have no problem getting it to close. It's just that the handles refuse to open the door. I guess I'll try to get it into a dealer but was hoping someone on the forum had insight.

highgear2005

Reaction score
According to my dealer, the exterior handle is listed as a assembly! All they received was the handle. No cable mounting hardware. This hardware is my hold up. To the dealers credit they could have just reused the original hardware. But they wanted to replace all the hardware. Hopefully this get resolved soon.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had it happen on a 2001 Ram once. The latch wasn't releasing (sticking). A little bit of WD40-style stuff (it was better than WD40, but cannot remember what I used back then), and a few open/closes, and it never happened again.

Never had it happen on a new vehicle before. I definitely would have tried lubing it first before replacing myself, but better safe than sorry I suppose. Hope they get you figured out sooner rather than later, keep us posted!

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had my driver door handle replaced as it had a scratch when I bought it. The dealer looked at it and said we can't buff that out so will order you a new handle. Never heard if it required hardware.

My back driver door issue will be looked at on January 4th. I called the dealer to let them know the issue we are now dealing with just as a headsup in case they wanted to proactively order anything. It didn't seem like they needed the new info. Once I told them I was able to bungee the door closed they said OK Good, we will see you on the 4th.

Users who are viewing this thread