5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Less than 3k miles, black screen on backup camera...

Zemlyak

Reaction score
Hi, it seem popular topic pointing to the loose connection to the camera? Should I try to fix it myself or go to the dealer? Thanks!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Try closing your tail gate a little harder than normal and see if that fixes it. Also, just wait a few hours and try again.

The black screen thing has happened to me a few times, 90% of the time closing the tail gate harder would fix it, but for those couple of times it didn't waiting a few hours or overnight would fix it on it's own.

Same exact thing on my F150, I suspect similar types of electronics and framework make the issues and fixes similar. However, it's not too common, maybe happens once every 2-4 months.

Zemlyak

Reaction score
Thanks, weird issue or maybe place for the camera initially :) I hit it couple of times but no luck, will wait until monday...

BowersFJ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
700 miles …. A swift tailgate close fixed mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Thanks, weird issue or maybe place for the camera initially :) I hit it couple of times but no luck, will wait until monday...

Hopefully it will fix itself, most black screen issues are temporary, if a harder tail gate closing doesn't fix it immediately, usually waiting a bit does, let us know how it goes.

Zemlyak

Reaction score
I will try to reset soon with two buttons. Will see, looks loke known well issue and even on new trucks they are still letting this happening.

Zemlyak

Reaction score
Funny, I slam the gate and it didn't work right the way. I went home and write all this and read other threads, comeback to reset and wow! :) it is back working :) I am sure it will repeat, but would be good to know what is really going on with this function. If it is loose connection it should work right away, not sure....

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Funny, I slam the gate and it didn't work right the way. I went home and write all this and read other threads, comeback to reset and wow! :) it is back working :) I am sure it will repeat, but would be good to know what is really going on with this function. If it is loose connection it should work right away, not sure....

Good to hear it's working again, I don't think it's a loose connection, I think its some sort of maybe elevation switch or something that prevents the camera from working if the tail gate isn't closed hard enough.

It could also be some sort of minor software thing that prevents the camera from working temporarily. Unless you have a blue screen, that's usually a camera replacement.

However, it's a common issue on the F150 and Silverado as well, fixes seem to be the same, namely slamming close the tail gate or simply waiting a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread