5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Length of the 2 x 4 divider in your bed

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I’m going to cut one and put it in the bed today for a divider/bike rack. I can obviously measure, but it seems like it’s a bit of an art to get it perfect. If you have one that fits great, would you do me a solid and post the length?

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't have one to measure for you but just a reminder that a spray in liner will make a difference in the length if you are looking for a very tight fit so make sure whoever gives you a length has the same liner or no liner situation as your truck.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
A 2x4?!? You must have won the lottery lol
Allow me to provide full disclosure. It’s a 2x6 that I bought a year ago that I’m taking from my 2001 F250 and cutting down to fit my 24 hour old truck.

However I just realized that my Ram might be wider?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been meaning to do this since I used to use my Titan's bed rails to mount my bike in the bed. Just haven't gotten around to it. Like another said, you probably want to wait until you measure your own truck as the bed liner can affect it, as well as just minor discrepancies on where you measure/metal flex/etc. Measure twice cut once.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
I've been meaning to do this since I used to use my Titan's bed rails to mount my bike in the bed. Just haven't gotten around to it. Like another said, you probably want to wait until you measure your own truck as the bed liner can affect it, as well as just minor discrepancies on where you measure/metal flex/etc. Measure twice cut once.
My old truck was an extended cab, so I didn’t put the bike in the truck very often. I’m going to get another 2 x 4 with a skewer on it so I can keep the bike up right in the backseat when I need a secure place as well.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Allow me to provide full disclosure. It’s a 2x6 that I bought a year ago that I’m taking from my 2001 F250 and cutting down to fit my 24 hour old truck.

However I just realized that my Ram might be wider?
Sledgehammer the bed so that it fits the board, buying another piece of lumber would be insane

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
Sledgehammer the bed so that it fits the board, buying another piece of lumber would be insane
This is true, a new 2 x 6 would probably exceed the cost of the truck. I could always repurpose a joist, do I really need one every 16 inches in the ceiling?

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's an option that I've used in the past. Go where new homes are being built. It's amazing how much lumber gets thrown out. I've grabbed pieces of 2x6 where 2' were cut off and the rest of the board was thrown into a pile of scrap. This is also a good way to build garage shelves on the cheap.

greenlawnracing

Reaction score
as it turns out, the Ram is about an inch or two narrower than the F250. Measured once, cut 40 times. And I have a new bike rack.

I actually live in a new neighborhood with a lot of construction, haven’t combed the scrap piles in a while. I needed a half dozen 2x4s for a small project today, but assumed that they guard those piles these days.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
as it turns out, the Ram is about an inch or two narrower than the F250. Measured once, cut 40 times. And I have a new bike rack.

I actually live in a new neighborhood with a lot of construction, haven’t combed the scrap piles in a while. I needed a half dozen 2x4s for a small project today, but assumed that they guard those piles these days.
My buddy as an apprentice electrician used to get the scrap copper - could it be coming for the apprentice carpenters to get the scrap lumber?:unsure::eek:

Users who are viewing this thread