5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lemon Law...any experts???

heffy

Reaction score
Wondering if any one here know's about Lemon Laws, I bought my truck from Mark Dodge in LA, I registered the truck in IL. I now have a major problem which appears it's going to be in the shop much longer than the 45 days required under LA lemon law for replacement or buy back. Since I bought it in LA does that mean I go by their rules? Or since I registered it in IL do I go by their rules. LA doesn't seem to have a milage restriction where IL states 1 year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first. I have 15,000 miles on the truck (5 months old) Thanks in advance for any HELP!

Brian

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wondering if any one here know's about Lemon Laws, I bought my truck from Mark Dodge in LA, I registered the truck in IL. I now have a major problem which appears it's going to be in the shop much longer than the 45 days required under LA lemon law for replacement or buy back. Since I bought it in LA does that mean I go by their rules? Or since I registered it in IL do I go by their rules. LA doesn't seem to have a milage restriction where IL states 1 year or 12,000 miles which ever comes first. I have 15,000 miles on the truck (5 months old) Thanks in advance for any HELP!

Brian
You would need to follow the laws in the state you have it registered in. Start by working with your dealer. Usually most people don't start talking lemon law until it becomes and issue where dealer is providing bad service or is a pain to work with. Either that, or you just don't like the truck and looking for an excuse to get out of it.

heffy

Reaction score
You would need to follow the laws in the state you have it registered in. Start by working with your dealer. Usually most people don't start talking lemon law until it becomes and issue where dealer is providing bad service or is a pain to work with. Either that, or you just don't like the truck and looking for an excuse to get out of it.
It appears there are different rules per state. The law reads State purchased, but some states will no longer cover you if you move out or register in another State, some states will apply their law if you bought it in another state and register in their state. I can't seem to find the clear rule for LA. Was hoping someone who knows the fact could help. It's not just as simple as state registered in.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
your best bet is to contact a lawyer who deals with lemon law. what exactly is your issue though? Do you want to lemon law the truck?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When my 19 fell under the lemon law, it fell under the state it was purchased in. But if I remember right I was told it could be either one? Mine was purchased in North Carolina which has a very good lemon law. I got 100% back, in iowa where I live, I would of had to pay $2400 for the 10,000 miles I put on it, before it was determined a lemon! Good luck👍🏻

heffy

Reaction score
LA seems to have a good lemon law, it's just unclear to me if it also needs to be registered in that state. My truck 2022 Eco Diesel, the fuel pump just blew up and has contaminated the entire fuel system...dealer seems to think they won't get the parts for 8-10 weeks (one with the same problem has been sitting for 6 weeks and still waiting on parts) then it's a big job replacing the entire fuel system. This is the second problem I've had with the truck not counting bringing it in for my 12" Nav screen which does not illuminate all the time, once every two weeks it just stays dark for a few starts then decides it wants to work again.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
LA seems to have a good lemon law, it's just unclear to me if it also needs to be registered in that state. My truck 2022 Eco Diesel, the fuel pump just blew up and has contaminated the entire fuel system...dealer seems to think they won't get the parts for 8-10 weeks (one with the same problem has been sitting for 6 weeks and still waiting on parts) then it's a big job replacing the entire fuel system. This is the second problem I've had with the truck not counting bringing it in for my 12" Nav screen which does not illuminate all the time, once every two weeks it just stays dark for a few starts then decides it wants to work again.
Once again, start by talking with your dealer. Work your way up the chain. 9 times out of 10, Ram will end up buying the truck back vs going through lemon law. In which case, you usually end up with refund of full purchase price, plus tax/title/license and any aftermarket parts you installed and are leaving on the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread