5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leer canopy rattle

LogJammin

Reaction score
I have a Leer 100XQ with removable window, and I'm getting a terrible rattle inside the truck cab. I've confirmed that it isn't the removable window (I removed it, and the rattle remained). I've also driven around with the rear hinge window open, still have the rattle.

The rattle is exactly like this youtube video:

I have the Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars on top of the canopy, as well as a mesh platform and wind fairing. I've also eliminated the fairing as a cause of the rattle, and the crossbars and platform are locked down solid...can't move them by shaking with my hands. I've eliminated other potential *interior* sources, including rear sliding window and the wireless antenna module found behind the rear seat carpet.

Any ideas?

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Leer 100XQ with removable window, and I'm getting a terrible rattle inside the truck cab. I've confirmed that it isn't the removable window (I removed it, and the rattle remained). I've also driven around with the rear hinge window open, still have the rattle.

The rattle is exactly like this youtube video:

I have the Rhino Rack Vortex crossbars on top of the canopy, as well as a mesh platform and wind fairing. I've also eliminated the fairing as a cause of the rattle, and the crossbars and platform are locked down solid...can't move them by shaking with my hands. I've eliminated other potential *interior* sources, including rear sliding window and the wireless antenna module found behind the rear seat carpet.

Any ideas?
Get someone to drive it while you ride on the bed?

R

Rob5589

Do you have slider side windows? Loose clamp? Seems odd to have that much noise inside the cab from the shell. I have no noise from mine.

Boston

Reaction score
All speeds or just some? Could it be air movement induced?
Anything in the floor bins? We’re all the cap clamps installed and installed properly? Is that your truck in the video?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny, I have more or less the same rattle, and I have a Leer cap as well. I thought it might be the sliding rear window on the cap, but I don't think that is it. I only notice it when I have the rear truck window open. I thought it was the truck rear window, or something behind the seats, but I am fairly convinced it has something to do with the cap. Definitely not related to going over a bump as I hear it with the rear window open just tooling down the road.

There must be something loose back there. I have the 180 cap. Next time it's not raining I will crawl back there and see. I have the removable window with a slider. On the way home tonight my wife noticed it as well; I pulled over and checked everything back there in the back seat and rear window and nothing was loose.

Edit: I did some searching on other truck forums and apparently a lot of people with removable rear windows on Leer caps complain about the window rattling. I have this same removable window so that is the first place I will check.

Last edited:

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok. I have verified it is the removable window in the cap that is rattling. The slider "locks" using a metal spring that sits in the bottom track of the slider. There's nothing in the top track, so what happens is the top of the window rattles in the track, which is hard plastic with no rubber in the seal to insulate the edge of the glass window from the hard plastic. The rattle can be eliminated by having a small shim between the sliding window edge and the plastic frame. This is a lousy solution but it works.

A better solution would be some kind of foam or rubber insulator in the upper track to provide a barrier between the glass and the hard plastic as well as provide a little tension to hold the window from moving.

When there's no Corona virus I will mosey on down to the Leer dealer and see what they suggest. Or maybe I'll just call Leer directly while I'm home and see what they say.

LogJammin

Reaction score
Good sleuthing, jdmartin! Unfortunately, after quite a bit of inspection, I don't believe the rattle I'm hearing is coming from the canopy. I, too, have noticed that my removable window rattles, and I can hear it when the rear cab window is opened. However, if I remove the canopy window and drive around, I still get the rattle inside the cab. I have eliminated all sources of rattle from the canopy. I even had the wife drive me around while I sat in the bed, and listened for the source of the rattle. Minus the removable window...nothing!

However, today I noticed that when my passenger rear seat is in the upright position, I hear the rattle even more prominently in the cab. I'm 99% sure that the rattle is coming from *inside the house*!

I'm going to take the truck to the dealer and have them look at it. If they give me gruff about the canopy, I'll have my Leer dealer remove the canopy and store it while I further troubleshoot the issue. I'll post more once I get this all figured out!

Boston

Reaction score
Grab your socket set and check the tightness of the bolts holding the seats to the body.
I had one rattle that went away when someone was sitting in the passenger seat or if I pushed on it.
Loose from factory

Users who are viewing this thread