5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leer 100r

Griswold

Reaction score
I can get a pretty good deal on a Leer 100r canopy with Thule rack for my roof top tent. Is anyone else running this set up and how do you like it? I drive a lot of gravel and mountain roads so I would need it to be as dust proof as possible. I was also considering a Diamond Back HD cover.

arptsprt

Reaction score
I have 100XR on order with a similar intended use. I’ll be curious to see how it works. The ARE I had on my F150 leaked dust horribly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
I have the Leer 100 found on FB marketplace/Craigslist.
as someone who has had caps before on my tacomas; you'll need to ensure a damn good seal on all four corners and even add some around the tailgate extensively; ask me how I know...

unless you go smartcap or something that can provide active pressure you'll always get some small amount of dust and water in, just a fact of life...

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
I have the Leer 100 found on FB marketplace/Craigslist.
as someone who has had caps before on my tacomas; you'll need to ensure a damn good seal on all four corners and even add some around the tailgate extensively; ask me how I know...

unless you go smartcap or something that can provide active pressure you'll always get some small amount of dust and water in, just a fact of life...

I think I found a Leer for my truck. It's a 100XR. How is your Leer clamped to your bed and what kind of gasket material do you recommend for the install?

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
I think I found a Leer for my truck. It's a 100XR. How is your Leer clamped to your bed and what kind of gasket material do you recommend for the install?

So the guy I bought it from had 4 Husky c-clamps.... yes; you read that right. that worked until I bought these.

"LEER J Bolt Clamp, Set of 4" on Amazon​

[I have a 2020 non ram-box model, these clamps don't interfere with with the factory bed utility track that came on my truck]

Check the gasket on the used one; I have purchased some off Amazon before; I like the rubber double bulb type, you can also you the flat lay tape kind but YMMV.
Ive even seen some guys black silicon seal in some areas that need more attention.

EDIT: Forgot to say; I ended up rubbing some paint off the very top of the tailgate in the corners due to fitment on the way back from buying it; so I added a rubber double bubble seal to the glass enclosure to limit that again; FYI.
painters tape doesnt work too well as a mitigation

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
So the guy I bought it from had 4 Husky c-clamps.... yes; you read that right. that worked until I bought these.

"LEER J Bolt Clamp, Set of 4" on Amazon​

[I have a 2020 non ram-box model, these clamps don't interfere with with the factory bed utility track that came on my truck]

Check the gasket on the used one; I have purchased some off Amazon before; I like the rubber double bulb type, you can also you the flat lay tape kind but YMMV.
Ive even seen some guys black silicon seal in some areas that need more attention.

EDIT: Forgot to say; I ended up rubbing some paint off the very top of the tailgate in the corners due to fitment on the way back from buying it; so I added a rubber double bubble seal to the glass enclosure to limit that again; FYI.
painters tape doesnt work too well as a mitigation
Thanks for the tips.
I won the auction and I'm driving up to Chicago to get the topper this weekend. Should I take some sections of gasket to make temporary snubbers so I don't rub off any paint?

Once I get the truck home I can get a new bulb seal installed. I might just take the whole thing down to the Leer dealer and let him charge me to install it right, including the 3rd brake. (Did you disconnect the 3rd brake on your truck so you don't get glare between the cab and topper at night?)

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can get a pretty good deal on a Leer 100r canopy with Thule rack for my roof top tent. Is anyone else running this set up and how do you like it? I drive a lot of gravel and mountain roads so I would need it to be as dust proof as possible. I was also considering a Diamond Back HD cover.
I’m on my second 100R and love it. It is about as dust proof as the come especially if you get the correct bed liner. I purchased the one from the link below back in October when Amazon had a huge sale at $102. It has the integrated seal that seals up the gap between the bed and the bottom of the tailgate. Bedrug makes them also and it helps keep the dust down.

kbraunphoto

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.
I won the auction and I'm driving up to Chicago to get the topper this weekend. Should I take some sections of gasket to make temporary snubbers so I don't rub off any paint?

Once I get the truck home I can get a new bulb seal installed. I might just take the whole thing down to the Leer dealer and let him charge me to install it right, including the 3rd brake. (Did you disconnect the 3rd brake on your truck so you don't get glare between the cab and topper at night?)

I have not disconnected it; I have yet to have it be an issue and not until you mentioned it have I thought about it.

I have been thinking I wish I had cleaned the windows and applied a rain-ex or seal on the glass to reduce water.
Mine are all factory tinted and dirty [haven't clean it yet] and was thinking how much less of a hassle it is if the glass was treated.

UncaBuddha

Reaction score
I have not disconnected it; I have yet to have it be an issue and not until you mentioned it have I thought about it.

I have been thinking I wish I had cleaned the windows and applied a rain-ex or seal on the glass to reduce water.
Mine are all factory tinted and dirty [haven't clean it yet] and was thinking how much less of a hassle it is if the glass was treated.

I was going to try to clean the windows and apply Rainx but it is so frippin cold I'm not sure the RainX would work. It can't be THAT hard to loosen the topper and move it back a couple of feet to clean/RainX in the summer!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ARE X-series on my 2014 Ram was bomb proof and water/dust tight for the 5 years I had it. My ARE CX series n my 2019 leaked water in rain or carwash and dust - topper dealer installed a tailgate seal kit and used silicone on the rails and no issue since - not good if you want to take it on and off often but if you're leaving it on this seems to be the ticket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/